Fasting - does it work?

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I've read in a few threads people mentioning intermittent fasting. I'm still not totally clear but it appears the basic concept is you don't eat 16 out of the 24 hours but you consume your calories in the other 8 hours. So does this work or not?

16/8 is one setup. 19/5 or 20/4 seem more common. I do 19/5 personally; only eating between 4pm and 9pm. I don't think it's actually better for losing weight, I just find I consume fewer calories naturally om 19/5 and it allows me to have a big meal once a day. It's too short a period to affect your metabolism and for me, makes staying within my goals easier. YMMV

Try it. If you don't like it you can always go back.
  • FitLink
    Options
    i think the best way to fast is not to do 24 hour fasting. but rather to fast from sun up to sun down. Wake up before sun up and get something to eat.. could be a light meal , fruits water or a heavier meal.. then don' t eat again until after the sun goes down. Don't eat heavy greasy foods. Keep it light and simple. drink as much water as you can when you are not in state of fasting

Why do you think this? What are the proven benifits of your method of fasting?

The point of fasting is to empty your system completely of food. This triggers changes in the hormonal responses in your body, which are benificial (in the first 24hrs) in helping speed your metabolism, as well as spiking growth hormone when combined with heavy strength training. Growth hormone is known to help maintain lean mass, and promote the oxidation of fat.

Again, what benifit is there in a 12hr or so fast? Even the 16hr fast leangains recommends is a compromise. The true, scientifically proven benifits are just before, at, and just past the 24hr mark.

Can you link to the science? Because I practice IF, but I sure don't claim it does anything beyond making it easier to keep my calorie count down. Increased metabolism seems a stretch. Is there peer reviewed research in major journals backing this?
  • FitLink
    Options
    What in the world? Fasting is NOT healthy for you! Common sense here.

Can you back that up with some scientific research? Because I haven't seen any research indicating that short fasts are in any way "unhealthy." IF involves fasting for periods of 16 hours to just over 24 hours. I have seen no study ever that indicates not eating for periods that short are medically harmful.

Obviously, they're not something that will appeal to everyone. They work well for others of us. I practice 19/5 IF myself, and the OP was considering 16/8. That is plain and simple not at all harmful.
  • lion_queen
    lion_queen Posts: 37
    Options
    I have personally fasted for longer periods. 5-7 days. A few times. Not great for losing weight but really effective for health. Got rid of reactive hypoglycemic tendencies this way. Better to do it with juice so you don't shock your body. But I was young and impatient so a water fast worked. Most of us larger Americans can go without food for at least a month with no negative effect. Of course that's LARGER people not people under 200 lbs who just feel fat.

Fasting for health? This. Is. The. Most. Stupidest. Thing. Ive. EVER. Heard.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I have personally fasted for longer periods. 5-7 days. A few times. Not great for losing weight but really effective for health. Got rid of reactive hypoglycemic tendencies this way. Better to do it with juice so you don't shock your body. But I was young and impatient so a water fast worked. Most of us larger Americans can go without food for at least a month with no negative effect. Of course that's LARGER people not people under 200 lbs who just feel fat.

THIS is another animal altogether. This isn't recommended for anyone unless he/she is under a doctor's supervision. This can be medically dangerous.
  • lion_queen
    lion_queen Posts: 37
    Options
    . I don't personally think 24 fasting its bad because it had been practiced for centuries in various religions.

those religions used to stone a women to death if she walked in front of her husband. fasting or not fasting should not be guided by religion.

^ This!
  • FitLink
    Options
    I've read in a few threads people mentioning intermittent fasting. I'm still not totally clear but it appears the basic concept is you don't eat 16 out of the 24 hours but you consume your calories in the other 8 hours. So does this work or not?
    If meal frequency actually had some kind of advantage then IF might qualify, but alas, meal freqency has no such advantage. what it does do is help people control their eating, and many may find they lose weight by default, based on that, much like what a low carb diet does for some.

I lose weight because I eat less and am less hungry on a 19/5 IF schedule, and I'm not alone.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    i think the best way to fast is not to do 24 hour fasting. but rather to fast from sun up to sun down. Wake up before sun up and get something to eat.. could be a light meal , fruits water or a heavier meal.. then don' t eat again until after the sun goes down. Don't eat heavy greasy foods. Keep it light and simple. drink as much water as you can when you are not in state of fasting

The point of fasting is to empty your system completely of food. This triggers changes in the hormonal responses in your body, which are benificial (in the first 24hrs) in helping speed your metabolism, as well as spiking growth hormone when combined with heavy strength training. Growth hormone is known to help maintain lean mass, and promote the oxidation of fat.

Again, what benifit is there in a 12hr or so fast? Even the 16hr fast leangains recommends is a compromise. The true, scientifically proven benifits are just before, at, and just past the 24hr mark.

Can you link to the science? Because I practice IF, but I sure don't claim it does anything beyond making it easier to keep my calorie count down. Increased metabolism seems a stretch. Is there peer reviewed research in major journals backing this?

Brad Pilon lists peer reviewed studies in the back of ESE, that are his basis for these claims. I don't have them saved, but if you're interested, that's a good place to look. I believe leangains.com also has a few linked, but that site is so disorganized it's tough to find anything twice.

I find it very hard to believe that it's the stupidest thing you've ever read. I mean, 'Most. Stupidest' is pretty stupid in and of itself. Fasting for LONG PERIODS for health is something that many people believe in. I don't...and agree with Fit's comment about being under a doctor's supervision if you intend to do it. I do believe that fasting short term has health benifits...my own experiences, and that of others (read some of the comments above) reinforce this. So in a way, unless you misspoke, you just told me that my belief 'Is. The. Most. Stupidest. Thing. You've. EVER. Heard.'

Kind of rude really.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    So.......this is day three of my diet, i am starvin, i am eating and yet i can eat a big meal and still be starvin......im hungry right now! The things im curious about:
    does over night count as a fast window? someone else seems to think?
    i get dizzy with no food......i treadmill when i gym, does dizziness go away with hunger pains lol
    besides this, so much has been said about having right meals 6 small over the day blah blah, now fasting is good and i am tempted to put my head in a bucket of water :sad:
    i for the last two days have been SUPER hungry, so i eat a small/medium meal which use to quench me, now does nothing....
    so today for example, at 10 i ate.....i was hungry at 11 again....and im about to go an eat again now before tea cos lets face it i am :explode: :grumble: :angry: :mad: :noway: :frown: :devil: when im hungry .......so is my i feel like im starving myself fasting rofl, benefitting me at all, i hate diets!
  • FitLink
    Options
    All that being said, I enjoy IFing due to the behavioral aspects of it (ghrelin being adaptive to behavior, stuffing my face at night, etc). I'm just not convinced of the physiological benefits.

Same here. I've been doing IF for a while and I like it from a lifestyle perspective (and will continue to do it), but I'm not convinced it's a magic bullet for fat loss. Just my $0.02.

That's my position. I don't believe there's an added benefit other than it's been a lifestyle change that is helpful for me in keeping to my goals.
  • FitLink
    Options

Brad Pilon lists peer reviewed studies in the back of ESE, that are his basis for these claims. I don't have them saved, but if you're interested, that's a good place to look. I believe leangains.com also has a few linked, but that site is so disorganized it's tough to find anything twice.

I find it very hard to believe that it's the stupidest thing you've ever read. I mean, 'Most. Stupidest' is pretty stupid in and of itself. Fasting for LONG PERIODS for health is something that many people believe in. I don't...and agree with Fit's comment about being under a doctor's supervision if you intend to do it. I do believe that fasting short term has health benifits...my own experiences, and that of others (read some of the comments above) reinforce this. So in a way, unless you misspoke, you just told me that my belief 'Is. The. Most. Stupidest. Thing. You've. EVER. Heard.'

Kind of rude really.

I didn't mean to be rude, and don't think I was. If you disagree, report my post, but I don't believe I said anything out of line at all. All I asked is if you can actually show me links to the science that backs up the claims you're making. It looks like you can't. I'm sorry that upset you, but it really doesn't warrant name calling.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting topic, and I'm definitely going to read more about it and get more info.
    I don't know if I could do it, since I get very sick to my stomach when I go for a long time without eating, but I think that's something that I can slowly accustom my body to, if I feel like IF is something I want to try.

Thanks for all the interesting info! :)
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    OMG at first glance, I thought it said "Farting - does it work?" and I was all excited to answer YES!

Haha oh my gosh that just made me LOL at work. So awesome!
  • PaulRosenberg206
    PaulRosenberg206 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting for the past two months and I'm VERY happy with the current outcome. I do it like this: I follow an overfeeding day with a zero-calorie day. My diet is a slightly-modified Slow Carb Diet (from the 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferris). That means about 32 hours with no calories, if you count two 8-hour sleep periods.

I have followed the SCD since Christmas 2010 And dropped from 233 pounds to 197, most of it in the first six months. Intermittent fasting helped me conquer a very stubborn plateau, and I'm now less than ten pounds from my goal of 190 pounds and 8% body fat. VERY excited to be approaching the best body of my life at age 53!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Kind of rude really.

I didn't mean to be rude, and don't think I was. If you disagree, report my post, but I don't believe I said anything out of line at all. All I asked is if you can actually show me links to the science that backs up the claims you're making. It looks like you can't. I'm sorry that upset you, but it really doesn't warrant name calling.

The second part wasn't directed at you my friend. You were not rude AT ALL. It was directed at the young lady casting insults below you. I agreed with what you said about being under medical supervision if you're intending to fast for any reason beyond a day or so. I also replied to your post (in the first part of my response), and told you that in Brad Pilon's book Eat, Stop, Eat...he lists his sources and studies. If I recall correctly, they include references to metabolic acceleration within the first 24hrs, and hormonal response that promotes oxidation of fat (and maintaining existing lean mass) beyond a standard diet.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    There is also a ton of cool research on life extension involving activation of FoxO transcription. They have been able to halve the rate of aging in every organism tested so far by manipulating this pathway. Fasting stimulates FoxO transcription as well. On phone so no sources, but it's super easy to google, and there was an awesome TED talk on the subject recently. This appears to be the mechanism behind reduced senescence in calorically restricted diets in mammals.
  • skinnyshortie
    Options
    I fasted and starved, did the lot for about 2 years. I got down to about 7st 5... But then I gained 3 stone 5lbs as soon as I began eating properly and then formed a binge eating disorder!!! My experience. Big no no!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I fasted and starved, did the lot for about 2 years. I got down to about 7st 5... But then I gained 3 stone 5lbs as soon as I began eating properly and then formed a binge eating disorder!!! My experience. Big no no!

Sorry to hear but eating disorders and intermittent fasting aren't close to the same thing. Many people do IF and lose and maintain a healthy body weight.
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Come on - do you really think that not eating for 16 hours is going to harm you? Chances are you will be asleep 6-8 hours of that so really you aren't eating for 8 of the hours you are awake. Doesn't sounds too dangerous or extreme to me. You still take in your required calories and up them slightly on workout days.