struggling with overeating at night

Options
13»

Replies

• areittinger
    areittinger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    here is a website to learn more about it! http://myshakeology.com/areittinger
  • darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    I too am a late night eater. i don't know why, I just like consuming most of my calories at night. I'll eat a whole slew of healthy veggies, fruits, and proteins, but at night I get a "bring on the carbs!" sort of feeling.

I've found though, that it helps if plan for your late night snacks and log them early in the day. That way you know how many calories your snack is going to cost and can plan the rest of your day accordingly.

This. ^^^ I eat when I'm bored or really tired but I've found that planning my meals and snacks helps ALOT! I also stagger my meals so I'm never truly hungery, but if I must reach for something else, it's usually tea.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this too because I am busy with my kids that I do not eat enough during the day that night once it gets quiet i have am hungry!! I try to eat within my calorie count for the day and I try to stop eating by 9 at night!!!
    I know it is hard but do not beat yourself up over it just go with what makes you feel comfortable!!!!

Fix yourself some snacks that you can graze on all day (and that can sit out all day). Make a little snack tray with some cut up veggies, nuts, crackers, maybe some cheese, fruit etc. And then graze on it all day, so you fill up more before the evening. Maybe it is 300 calories worth (2 snacks worth).

I also agree about the tips on the tea, etc. My go to evening snack is greek yogurt with some fruit for the protein and fiber. And it tastes like dessert, so it helps with the craving. Or whole grain crackers and peanut butter or nutella.
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    Hey,

lately I have been struggling really hard to stop overeating at night time.
    Anyone got any tips to help?

Also, if anyone else is in the same boat as me feel free to add me and we can support each other as needed :)

i am the same as a few others on here, kids in bed, tv on or book in hand and feel the need to eat! i know i am not hungry, i do not feel hungry in fact i doubt u actually know what hunger feels like because i eat so much, yet cant help but WANT to eat! low fat hot chocolate sometimes cures me, if not i read in bed and when the need to ea gets too much i go to sleep!lol!
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    i can't really go for a walk at night time where i live without getting hurt?

plus i still live with my family cant exactly throw out all their food now can i

If it's not safe where you live, you could also do some sort of strength training work out. You can find good strength work outs that do not need equipment at www.self.com. I get their magazine every month and they have tear out cards which are really nice.

I'm not sure how old you are, but if your family does the shopping, maybe you can request a few small things that will help you with your cravings that people have already suggested such as veggies, green tea, etc.

I also agree with the the people who recommended about not watching TV in the evenings. I know that when I watch TV I get really bad cravings due to all the food commercials. I find myself heading to the kitchen when I'm not evening hungry. I've recently picked reading back up and rent books at the local library. When I get into a good book, I forget about everything else, and don't think about food.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Ugg....I have the same problem...it's always been my weakness, especially late at night...now, I work 3rd shift at a place that supplies all kind of chips, donuts, ice cream, cookies, hot dogs, soda and coffee...all for free. It's just laying around, tempting me all the time. Waaaah!
  • Maria_Goose
    Maria_Goose Posts: 247
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. When it gets really late at night and I'm tempted to reach for the chips, chocolate, icecream, or whatever I happen to be craving at the time, I just remember that I will have a brand new set of calories to work with right when I wake up in the morning. That same food will be waiting for me right when I wake up.

Also, distract yourself. Take a shower. Paint your nails.

Or, just go to bed. :)
  • shakespearessister
    Options
    I'm almost compulsive about eating at night. I do better if I can stay busy or at least keep my hands occupied (crocheting while watching a movie), but since I have an infant who cluster feeds (nurses for 2-3 hours in the evening) those coping skills are out now. I don't keep junk in the house, but I also try to have low calorie snacks like a cup of raw cauliflower and two tablespoons of neufchatel cheese (105 calories, and it's very filling). The other things that really help:
    Brushing my teeth and chewing mint xylitol gum (just read that mint is an appetite suppressant)...it really works.
    Dessert teas like vanilla berry truffle! I put a tablespoon of half and half and sweeten it with stevia...very few calories and the half and half makes it seem very rich. The liquid is also filling.
    I'll also fill my 32 ounce bottle with water and add Archer Farms Simply Balanced drink mix (Target...it's like Crystal Light, only all natural and only 10 calories). Sipping it satisfies the grazing tendency, and it fills me up.
    Finally a huge help has been adding lots of enzymes/probiotics. I've been eating yoghurt throughout the day, and in the evening, I'll have 8 ounces of kombucha...it's fizzy like soda, but only has 35 calories. It's very high in vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants and beneficial bacteria. These things have cut down on the cravings.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is my Hispanic upbringing, eating chili powder with everything, but when I'm feeling munchy at night, I slice up a cold cucumber, put some lime on it, and sprinkle a little chili powder on it.. Delicious, and it doesn't pack too many calories.
    The sodium may be an issue, just because chili powders tend to include salt, but you don't need that much for a bit of zest on your snack :)
  • Maria_Goose
    Maria_Goose Posts: 247
    Options
    Maybe this is my Hispanic upbringing, eating chili powder with everything, but when I'm feeling munchy at night, I slice up a cold cucumber, put some lime on it, and sprinkle a little chili powder on it.. Delicious, and it doesn't pack too many calories.
    The sodium may be an issue, just because chili powders tend to include salt, but you don't need that much for a bit of zest on your snack :)

Excellent idea! =o
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I vote for the plain popcorn as well as, for me, LaCroix sparkling water. Olives and pickles are also good. Very few calories, as long as you don't have issues with too much sodium. :laugh:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

plus i still live with my family cant exactly throw out all their food now can i

If it's not safe where you live, you could also do some sort of strength training work out. You can find good strength work outs that do not need equipment at www.self.com. I get their magazine every month and they have tear out cards which are really nice.

I'm not sure how old you are, but if your family does the shopping, maybe you can request a few small things that will help you with your cravings that people have already suggested such as veggies, green tea, etc.

I also agree with the the people who recommended about not watching TV in the evenings. I know that when I watch TV I get really bad cravings due to all the food commercials. I find myself heading to the kitchen when I'm not evening hungry. I've recently picked reading back up and rent books at the local library. When I get into a good book, I forget about everything else, and don't think about food.

The only tv show I watch is the biggest loser... and i watch it whilst doing schoolwork.
  • delipidation
    delipidation Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    +1 on the suggestions upthread about planning your day ahead of time. Some days, though, get away from us so fast that the planning just doesn't happen in the morning. A fallback position for me is to at least enter everything before eating or snacking. Taking things in that order (enter / adjust / eat) allows me to do some preemptive portion control, and is preferable to the alternative order of operations, which usually works out to eat / enter / kick self.
  • dargar27
    dargar27 Posts: 6
    Options
    I know this sounds silly, but I've been playing Words with Friends or other mindless games while I watch TV and relax with my hubby in the evenings. It helps me not snack as much, although i do miss out on some of my show...lol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you like to eat at night just plan for it, eat less during the day. I eat, typically, 1900 calories between 6:30 pm and 9:30pm then march to bed whilst swalling my last bite. Unless you have a medical condition that dictates you don't eat at night (acid reflux, blood sugar concerns etc) go for it. Just plan for it. To each their own, I for one enjoy going to sleep with a full stomach.

-M
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options

The only tv show I watch is the biggest loser... and i watch it whilst doing schoolwork.

Sometimes that show has temptations that look mighty tasty! Several posters have given great ideas that will hopefully help you. Good luck on your journey!