Am I Too Fat to Be Here?

Options
Hopefully that's just my insecurity talking... :blushing:

My name is Maria and I'm 35. I live in Missouri and I'm a stay at home single mom (read: unemployed!) of 3 kids, ages 17, 14 and 12.

My weight is at the highest it's ever been, right around 400 pounds. Jeez, it's even hard to type that :(
I imagine people all over internet-land snickering and thinking "At least I'm not like HER!" Hopefully that's not the case here and I can meet some supportive people here. I've got my fingers crossed that just maybe I might talk to some folks who face some of the same challenges I do.

When you're 400 pounds, almost everything is a challenge. Everything hurts. Everything wears you out.

To top it all off, I had a serious shoulder injury and surgery last summer that's left me with very little use of my left arm and pain in my shoulder/arm that never really goes away. My balance has suffered from not being able to use my arm and I live in fear of falling again (that's how I mangled my arm in the 1st place). Obviously with all that's happened to me, I find it very challenging to exercise.

Even typing these short paragraphs has made my arm throb so I'm going to stop here. I hope no one minds if I cut & paste this post to use as my intro in some of the groups I've joined. I just really need some supportive friends, you guys. I promise to be a good friend, too.

xoxoxo ~Maria :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Well hun you are at the right place. This site is so amazing. Everyone is so supportive and fun. Feel free to add me if you want some encouragement. I love new friends and watching all my friends reach their goals it keeps me motivated,
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You are not too fat to be here, we are all on the same journey even if it is just a few pounds or over a hundred like me. You are very welcome and can add me as a friend if you want to :-):flowerforyou:
  • anthemforagirl
    Options
    Maria,
    When I started, I was 328lbs.
    Change starts now.

There are plenty of exercises that will take it easy on your shoulder and on your body.

Water aerobics will do wonderful things! I lost 15lbs just starting out with that because I was reconditioning an injury to my ankle after being in a cast for two months. It is low impact, but manages to help you flow better and be comfortable.

You have my support!

Lacey
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am so embarrsed about my weight you will note that I just have how many pounds I have lost, not my weight
  • Haappy97
    Haappy97 Posts: 21
    Options
    Of course you are not to fat!!! Nobody is :) i can promise you this website will help you lose weight, you just have to stay motivated! and dont lose hope :) good luck!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's great to see you here! :flowerforyou:
    Feel free to add me as well.
  • wendygutie
    wendygutie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.....We all had to start somewhere... :D
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There are some very inspirational people here, that have been EXACTLY where you are. Hopefully some of them will pop in to say hello.

Take everything one day at a time.

You are doing the best thing for you, and your health.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    No one is too fat to be here. I'm down with anyone who want to loose weight and make a few lifestyle changes.

Welcome!!!
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    No there is no such thing as to fat to be here. Here is where you start! You have to commit with your mind and your body will follow
  • Gotzy
    Gotzy Posts: 15
    Options
    of course you aren't! it is so great that you are here and everyone is here to support you on your journey. Soon enough you will be proud to be here and able to show off about your weight loss! seriously all it takes is a bit of commitment and you'll get all the support you need!
  • DioneGlenn
    DioneGlenn Posts: 5
    Options
    Never EVER let anyone bring you down. I have been using MFP since January and not once has anyone been nasty or condenscending towards me.

No one makes fat jokes, no one judges. We are all just here to lose weight and feel good about ourselves.

Add me as a friend :-)

We are all in this together!!!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    There is no one too fat to lose weight. The only people who shouldn't be here are those who say they want to lose weight and continue to do nothing about it besides ***** and moan.

At my highest, I was 308lbs. When I joined MFP I was 298. Over the last 5 months I have lost 62 lbs and, let me tell you, if I would have known it could be so easy to do so quickly with nothing other than an *kitten* load of determination, I would have been thin when I was 18 years old instead of working on it now at 25.
  • SweetPickle007
    Options
    Hi Maria...you will find alot of support here..its a great site..so welcome...I will be happy to be your friend...I am sending you an invitation.:flowerforyou:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere (some bigger, some smaller), but I think you'll find a lot of inspiration here.

Best of luck to you in this journey, and remember, its a marathon, not a sprint. Some weeks you'll see great success and others not so much...be patient and believe in yourself! Welcome :happy:
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    No one is too fat to be here. If MFP is where you want to be and you want to commit to tracking every bite that goes in your mouth. Then Welcome! Welcome! Even add me as a friend if you'd like.

But be warned I do delete my friends who stop logging in for more than a wk without prior notice because I feel like I can't help you if your not here.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    There are a great many sub-groups of people with 100 pounds or more to lose. Just jump in! (and congratulations for taking the step to join!)
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this. Very inspirational.

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Maria!

Welcome and you've come to the right place. It's all about baby steps. Set small but realistic goals. Your first step in this journey was joining MFP. I've sent a friend request.

We are all here for you!!!

Sheila :flowerforyou:
  • Denise6914
    Denise6914 Posts: 176
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Everyone here is so supportive. Sending you a friend request so I can cheer you on:)