Any foods that you think have gotten a bad rap??

Options
Are there any foods that you think have gotten an unnecessary bad rap?

For me:

Egg yolk: The egg yolk is the most nutrient packed part of the egg, and it seems silly to separate the best part and toss it away. Moderation is in order, but don't dismiss the benefits of a good old fashioned egg (and tossing it is waseful!). I wouldn't eat 3 or 4 eggs every day, but I wouldn't hesitate to have a couple of whole eggs a week at least.

Cheese: Cheese definitely has it's place in a healthy diet. It's delicious, and contains tons of essential nutrients. Some cheeses are better than other cheeses, but it only takes a little of a really good cheese to add a ton of flavor. I see a lot of cheese-guilt on the boards, and I feel zero guilt about enjoying my daily piece of cheese.

I think the old adage- all things in moderation really holds true for these two things.

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you BrendaLee:flowerforyou:
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    haha I have a feeling I may have inspired this a bit with my egg white with no cheese burrito.
    I go with the whites alone because the calories are so much lower that I can have more things with my breakfast than just the eggs!

Sometimes Ill get a good ol' omelette with whole eggs for the taste and the nutrition, but other times I want that buttered toast, snacks, and a good dinner later without having to workout a ton for it so I go with the whites.

As for cheese...my bf is always teasing me that I put cheese or grated parmesan on EVERYTHING. Seriously. I even add grated parm to things that come cheese-y packaged. Its an addiction.
    I even went to the WI state fair just to get fried cheese on a stick :laugh:

Theres plenty foods I think have a bad rep...mostly foreign food. Its funny how going out to eat foreign food seems to make so many people think "bad", when really its not always all that bad!

Theres also food that I think have an undeserved good rep....like salad! Unless youre having just lettuce with that spray on dressing then its just as bad as any attempt at healthy food if not worse.
    Its a whole meal, too! At least if you like croutons as much as I do!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Eggs- I use 1 egg to 3 egg whites. at least twice a week. Love my eggs!!

Cheese-well, I will never give up cheese. But I did change to eating full fat cheese, but less of it. the LF stuff has so much junk in it........

Peanut butter is given a bad rap, and I see ppl saying they need to elimate this from their diet. :noway:
    No way! I love my PB. Again, I now eat the Organic sugar/salt free stuff.......in other words PEAUNUT butter:laugh:

Olive Oil -oil is essential to our bodies and brains.

I agree Brenda, everything in moderation.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    haha I have a feeling I may have inspired this a bit with my egg white with no cheese burrito.
    I go with the whites alone because the calories are so much lower that I can have more things with my breakfast than just the eggs!

Sometimes Ill get a good ol' omelette with whole eggs for the taste and the nutrition, but other times I want that buttered toast, snacks, and a good dinner later without having to workout a ton for it so I go with the whites.

As for cheese...my bf is always teasing me that I put cheese or grated parmesan on EVERYTHING. Seriously. I even add grated parm to things that come cheese-y packaged. Its an addiction.

Theres plenty foods I think have a bad rep...mostly foreign food. Its funny how going out to eat foreign food seems to make so many people think "bad", when really its not always all that bad!

Theres also food that I think have an undeserved good rep....like salad! Unless youre having just lettuce with that spray on dressing then its just as bad as any attempt at healthy food if not worse.

I once refused to eat my spaghetti until my DH got back with the Parmesan.:laugh:
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I love love love grated parmesan...ive even put it on toast with *dun dun dun* olive oil! its so tasty together!

I love peanut butter too but after I saw how bad the processed stuff was I just stopped eating it because Im afraid I wont like the "real" stuff. :tongue:

Ice creams got a bad rep too. The double churned Edys is only 130 cals per half cup! THATS AWESOME. haha
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Nuts. I stayed away from them for the longest time, but they really do have a lot of benefits. They're just one of those things where portion control makes all the difference in the world! They're the only kind of 100 calorie packs I buy- the others are mostly empty calories.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Nuts. I stayed away from them for the longest time, but they really do have a lot of benefits. They're just one of those things where portion control makes all the difference in the world! They're the only kind of 100 calorie packs I buy- the others are mostly empty calories.

reminds me of my healthy friend. she said she needed something to have in her car for protien in the event she was stuck in traffic. I advised unsalted natural almonds do well for me on the road

So she bought a canister of Almonds that fit right in her cup holder on the door. She tells me a few weeks later she has gained a few pounds and wants to stop it right away so wanted to go over all she was doing.

Turns out she had bouth SIX of the canisters and they were all gone! She was eating 1/2 the container on the way home each day, which was approx 8 servings or so!!

:tongue:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

You were my inspiration! lol
  • BrendaLee
    Options

I once refused to eat my spaghetti until my DH got back with the Parmesan.:laugh:

I won't even prepare pasta if I don't have some sort of cheese in the house. Pasta is just so...blah without it! It's amazing how the tiniest bit of cheese makes it so much better. :smile:

Salad can be practically junk food once you start loading stuff on it.
  • BrendaLee
    Options

reminds me of my healthy friend. she said she needed something to have in her car for protien in the event she was stuck in traffic. I advised unsalted natural almonds do well for me on the road

So she bought a canister of Almonds that fit right in her cup holder on the door. She tells me a few weeks later she has gained a few pounds and wants to stop it right away so wanted to go over all she was doing.

Turns out she had bouth SIX of the canisters and they were all gone! She was eating 1/2 the container on the way home each day, which was approx 8 servings or so!!

I had a can of whole, unsalted almonds in my cart last night, and I so wanted to buy them because I know they're good for you, but they had like .5 gram fat in each one...50 was 25 grams of fat, and I knew I couldn't limit myself to just a few. I might get a can next time and try to save them for tossing a few in my salad.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I love love love grated parmesan...ive even put it on toast with *dun dun dun* olive oil! its so tasty together!

I love peanut butter too but after I saw how bad the processed stuff was I just stopped eating it because Im afraid I wont like the "real" stuff. :tongue:

Ice creams got a bad rep too. The double churned Edys is only 130 cals per half cup! THATS AWESOME. haha

Jovi I love the Smuckers Organic PB. you have to stir it when first opened as the oil separates.

It took 2 sammiches before I was hooked:love:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I had a can of whole, unsalted almonds in my cart last night, and I so wanted to buy them because I know they're good for you, but they had like .5 gram fat in each one...50 was 25 grams of fat, and I knew I couldn't limit myself to just a few. I might get a can next time and try to save them for tossing a few in my salad.

I bought those little Glad cups and separated 24 into each cup. I know it is 180 cals and the fat is the good kind of fat.

Pair it up with some apple slices:love:
  • DonaReed
    Options
    :drinker:

I think in general, protein gets a bad rap. While lots of fat is not a good thing, our skin needs a little to say healthy. Protein is filling and keeps us satisfied for a longer time than sugar's and such. Its all in how you prepare it and the choices of cuts and of course the serving size.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree with the eggs. My mom was tossing the yellows and I told her to stop and save the for me. I have 2 -3 yolks a day for the past year or so guess what no cholesterol problem triglycerides 42. Now experts are saying eating two whole eggs a day won't raise your cholesterol.

I know 20 years ago the doctor to my grandmother to stop eating salmon because it was high in cholesterol. To this day she won't eat them. That just proves to me not be so quick to jump on every bandwagon.

Also butter . Now 'experts' say eat butter instead of the fake margarine and spreads b/c they cause heart disease. I guess it's like the song says. Ain't nothing like the real thing. :happy:
    Are there any foods that you think have gotten an unnecessary bad rap?

For me:

Egg yolk: The egg yolk is the most nutrient packed part of the egg, and it seems silly to separate the best part and toss it away. Moderation is in order, but don't dismiss the benefits of a good old fashioned egg (and tossing it is waseful!). I wouldn't eat 3 or 4 eggs every day, but I wouldn't hesitate to have a couple of whole eggs a week at least.

Cheese: Cheese definitely has it's place in a healthy diet. It's delicious, and contains tons of essential nutrients. Some cheeses are better than other cheeses, but it only takes a little of a really good cheese to add a ton of flavor. I see a lot of cheese-guilt on the boards, and I feel zero guilt about enjoying my daily piece of cheese.

I think the old adage- all things in moderation really holds true for these two things.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I agree with the eggs. My mom was tossing the yellows and I told her to stop and save the for me. I have 2 -3 yolks a day for the past year or so guess what no cholesterol problem triglycerides 42. Now experts are saying eating two whole eggs a day won't raise your cholesterol.

I know 20 years ago the doctor to my grandmother to stop eating salmon because it was high in cholesterol. To this day she won't eat them. That just proves to me not be so quick to jump on every bandwagon.

Also butter . Now 'experts' say eat butter instead of the fake margarine and spreads b/c they cause heart disease. I guess it's like the song says. Ain't nothing like the real thing. :happy:

Ivy..........I agree so much about the bandwagon mentality. Everything in moderation!
  • BrendaLee
    Options

I don't know if I've ever tasted real butter. I think I have in restaurants in those little packets, but I've never once bought butter. I tend to buy the Omega 3 margarine, but I think I'm going to switch to olive oil for cooking...and I may even buy a little butter.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Eggs- I use 1 egg to 3 egg whites. at least twice a week. Love my eggs!!

Cheese-well, I will never give up cheese. But I did change to eating full fat cheese, but less of it. the LF stuff has so much junk in it........

Peanut butter is given a bad rap, and I see ppl saying they need to elimate this from their diet. :noway:
    No way! I love my PB. Again, I now eat the Organic sugar/salt free stuff.......in other words PEAUNUT butter:laugh:

Olive Oil -oil is essential to our bodies and brains.

I agree Brenda, everything in moderation.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie

I agree with you to Jeannie...Im not given up cheese or eggs only in moderation,Because to much of anything is not good for you anyways..And I have no problems loosing weight..Why cause I believe in moderation now more than ever:wink:
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Pasta! Now indeed it is calorie and carbohydrate dense, BUT again in moderation pasta is NOT so bad! I tend to do some sort of pasta dish 1-2 x's a week (whole wheat ones of course:tongue: , brown rice) Maybe be that is too much? haha..I stay within portion and calories for the day, and always exercise, so I think I'm fine!:laugh:
  • kokonutmama
    Options
    I agree about nuts and peanut butter having an undesearved bad rap. Now, oil soaked, super salty addicting roasted nuts are pure evil, but delicious and wholesome raw nuts are my favorite snack.

Fruit, too.

My favorite unfairly maligned foods to champion are french fries and popcorn. Like nuts, there are terribly unwholesome things people do to them that make them bad for your body, but they can be part of a healthy diet. I give my kid popcorn for breakfast. Look at me sideways if you want, but other people feed them cornflakes and think that's "better" ? No way.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I agree about nuts and peanut butter having an undesearved bad rap. Now, oil soaked, super salty addicting roasted nuts are pure evil, but delicious and wholesome raw nuts are my favorite snack.

Fruit, too.

My favorite unfairly maligned foods to champion are french fries and popcorn. Like nuts, there are terribly unwholesome things people do to them that make them bad for your body, but they can be part of a healthy diet. I give my kid popcorn for breakfast. Look at me sideways if you want, but other people feed them cornflakes and think that's "better" ? No way.

Doesn't the popcorn get soggy when you pour the milk on??:wink::laugh: :laugh:

I don't see anything wrong with popcorn, if it isn't loaded with salt and butter. It is one of my fav snacks!!