Options
13»

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Stop buying frozen.

Problem solved.

When fish is fresh (and I mean actually fresh...most grocery stores just thaw out frozen fish) it doesn't have that fishy smell/flavor.
    Not everyone is close enough to a coast to have access to fresh fish.

Swai is a good, mild-tasting fish.
    Not every fish lives close to the coast either, there are plenty of nice fresh water fish out there.
    True. I live in a state full of river trout and some bass, but you cannot find them in the stores. Unless you fish them yourself, you have to resort to frozen.
  • tanga_gurl
    tanga_gurl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also dont really like a real fishy fish, but blue cod, altho it's quite soft and flaky and also gurnard I see no one has mentioned this, the smaller the fillets the better tasting btw!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Im not a big fish eater will eat lobster, prawn, crab and tinned tuna but one fish i do like is red snapper its a meaty kind of texture

The oily type fish Mackerel, salmon, i just cant eat :bigsmile:
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't tolerate fish well bc I can't stand the smell and fishy taste. I had eaten ono before when we were in Hawaii and on our.recent trip I had fresh ono, tilapia, ahi and swordfish.and they were all really good. The swordfish we had this time was the best I have ever had.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Whiting, is so bland it takes on the taste of whatever u put with it...
    I suggest spices,,,
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure what non-fishy fish is.

I love fish, but then my forebears were fishmongers so I've always grown up eating good fresh fish.

Frozen is perfectly ok if you cannot get fresh - and I keep frozen fish for convenience, but also buy fresh fish and freeze it too.

I love haddock and plaice and lemon sole, sea bass and salmon, prawns, scallops, langoustines, tuna - fresh steak and canned. I could probably eat fish every day :tongue:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Salmon is strongly flavored (as is trout). These are also not firm. They are more flaky and oily. I'd wait to try these if you don't like fishy.

Try sole: very mild, flaky texture
    halibut: also mild, firmer, meatier texture
    ono: mild, firmer texture
    butterfish: mild but richer tasting than halibut and firm
    Tuna steaks are meaty tasting and firm
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    its all about the basa (catfish), no fish taste whatsoever, falls apart and melts in your mouth
    Catfish is the strongest-tasting fish I've eaten.
    I've had good and bad tilapia
    I have had the same experience. Found that the farm-raised tends to taste nastier. Word is they eat more crap... literally.

I don't like either. They taste muddy or dirty to me.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you consider "fishy" other than, you know, fish. I thought that was how it was supposed to taste.

To me, tilipia, cod, and sole have the mildest flavor. Snapper is also fairly mild. Salmon, trout, and tuna all have really strong flavors. Rockfish and catfish are sort of in between. Cover pretty much any of them in flour, salt, and pepper and you don't really notice the "fishy" flavor.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Halibut is always a winner

Or if your feeling flush, Monkfish
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever had grouper throat. Effing amazing!!!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Salmon is really flavorful, and I like Swai for a non-fishy-fish ;-). It's a white fish and quite light in flavor so it doesn't interfere with whatever foods you're doing with it.