Replies

• Sweetncgal78
    Sweetncgal78 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Last week I upped my calories to 2000/day, a little more if I needed to get up to my BMR due to a workout (a couple days I did struggle to eat that much, though previously I had only been eating 1400-1700 gross most days). On Fat 2 Fit, my numbers are as follows:

BMR - 1530 (I am 5'6", 26yrs old, and currently 158lbs)

Calories to maintain: 2372 (moderately active), 2639 (hard exercise)

Calories for goal weight of 140: 2251, 2505

That doesn't seem like much of a deficit?

My workout schedule has been 3 days heavy lifting, 4 days running (5 days/week) so I have been using the moderately active, however this week I am also adding 2 Insanity workouts in (Plyometric Cardio Circuit and Cardio Power/Resistance) for 6 days/week - would this warrant moving up to hard exercise? I have a desk job, so aside from walking the dogs I am not extremely active outside of my workouts. Do the numbers above make sense?

Thanks so much!

(edited to add: I currently burn 3000-3500 calories a week (polar hrm), but now it will be about 3500-4000)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Last week I upped my calories to 2000/day, a little more if I needed to get up to my BMR due to a workout (a couple days I did struggle to eat that much, though previously I had only been eating 1400-1700 gross most days). On Fat 2 Fit, my numbers are as follows:

My workout schedule has been 3 days heavy lifting, 4 days running (5 days/week) so I have been using the moderately active, however this week I am also adding 2 Insanity workouts in (Plyometric Cardio Circuit and Cardio Power/Resistance) for 6 days/week - would this warrant moving up to hard exercise? I have a desk job, so aside from walking the dogs I am not extremely active outside of my workouts. Do the numbers above make sense?

Thanks so much!

(edited to add: I currently burn 3000-3500 calories a week (polar hrm), but now it will be about 3500-4000)

The activity levels is based on 1 hr for those days of workouts. So add up what that total time is to see what level.
    It's also based on midlevel type exercise, not as intense as you are getting.

So that's where the extra deficit comes into play the numbers don't look so good showing as weight loss.

That's why the bodyfat % is much better, your base BMR may be lower right now, could be higher for that matter. For you, probably not far off, but still...

I might also suggest another way that will be easier if you love and keep to these workouts. Look how much deficit your workouts are causing. 3500 look like familiar figure?

Suggest you set MFP to the true non-exercise activity level that applies, usually lightly active seems to apply for many, unless truly a desk job without much of anything besides exercise, then sedentary. Don't hurt your metabolism by thinking going lower helps.
    Set weight loss goal to Maintain.

Now exercise, log it with HRM calories, and do NOT eat them back. And at the end of each day, MFP will inform you the deficit you just created will mean "in 5 weeks you'll weigh..."
  • clovr24
    Options

Thanks so much!

The activity levels is based on 1 hr for those days of workouts. So add up what that total time is to see what level.
    It's also based on midlevel type exercise, not as intense as you are getting.

So that's where the extra deficit comes into play the numbers don't look so good showing as weight loss.

That's why the bodyfat % is much better, your base BMR may be lower right now, could be higher for that matter. For you, probably not far off, but still...

I might also suggest another way that will be easier if you love and keep to these workouts. Look how much deficit your workouts are causing. 3500 look like familiar figure?

Suggest you set MFP to the true non-exercise activity level that applies, usually lightly active seems to apply for many, unless truly a desk job without much of anything besides exercise, then sedentary. Don't hurt your metabolism by thinking going lower helps.
    Set weight loss goal to Maintain.

Now exercise, log it with HRM calories, and do NOT eat them back. And at the end of each day, MFP will inform you the deficit you just created will mean "in 5 weeks you'll weigh..."

My estimated body fat is 22-25% (calipers and online calculators), hourwise I workout about 7.5-8hrs/week. If I set MFP as you suggest, it has me eating 1990, but if I don't ever eat exercise calories I would be below my BMR most days, which is not a good idea, correct?...I guess that is where I get confused.
  • heybales
    Options
    My estimated body fat is 22-25% (calipers and online calculators), hourwise I workout about 7.5-8hrs/week. If I set MFP as you suggest, it has me eating 1990, but if I don't ever eat exercise calories I would be below my BMR most days, which is not a good idea, correct?...I guess that is where I get confused.

Does the amount below BMR on workout days get made up on the 2 rest days being 400 above BMR? Since you would eat same amount every day. So 800 extra between 5 other days is 160 deficit you could have and still be even. But you really want to be better than even to get max fat loss.

But if working out that much, the TDEE method may workout better then. Back to original plan.
  • clovr24
    Options

Does the amount below BMR on workout days get made up on the 2 rest days being 400 above BMR? Since you would eat same amount every day. So 800 extra between 5 other days is 160 deficit you could have and still be even. But you really want to be better than even to get max fat loss.

But if working out that much, the TDEE method may workout better then. Back to original plan.

Ohhh, ok yes, with 2 rest says it would be getting made up. However since I'm bumping up to 6 days a week for the next 6weeks, I think the original plan probably is better. Thanks so much! I hope this works- I feel like I have tried everything and have gotten nowhere in a year!
  • specialtreat
    Options
    weigh 152lbs and would love to get down to 127lbs
    I walk at speed of 5.5 to 6 on the treadmill at least 30 mins 6 days and I am doing the 30min shred 6days. When I am finished with the shed I will go back to 2 30min walks on the treadmill. No weight training at this stage.
    I sit and sew most days, so a very inactive work day.

I am very confused by all this and would appreciate all the help you can offer .

So that activity is six 1 hr days, that is Very Active level.

Using that fat2fit site, you got your BF% already, use the BMR calc, which also gives you a daily goal based on your goal weight.

So use the Very Active level, round down to nearest 100, and that's what you eat every day with that workout routine.

Since exercise is included in that estimate, you do not follow MFP method and eat it back.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
    This gives me 2000 calories a day!
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options

Well, now that is a much nicer round number than 1200, and probably better long term success too.

Though, you are hoping your lean body mass improves with exercise, so every 5 lbs lost, go revisit the site and re-measure for bodyfat %. Probably will have lost a lot, and hopefully will have more lean mass.

Which, surprise, means you get to eat even more!
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Well, now that is a much nicer round number than 1200, and probably better long term success too.

Though, you are hoping your lean body mass improves with exercise, so every 5 lbs lost, go revisit the site and re-measure for bodyfat %. Probably will have lost a lot, and hopefully will have more lean mass.

Which, surprise, means you get to eat even more!

Hi haybales

What do you mean you get to eat more? As your weight and body fat decreases your tdee becomes less. Do you mean your cut value becomes less because you are not supposed to have a lot of deficit the nearer to goal?
  • heybales
    Options
    What do you mean you get to eat more? As your weight and body fat decreases your tdee becomes less. Do you mean your cut value becomes less because you are not supposed to have a lot of deficit the nearer to goal?

Your TDEE is based on your BMR. (BMR x activity factor = TDEE) Higher your BMR, more calories you burn on everything else. Because you have more LBM not only for the BMR to support for it's energy usage, but now in using that increased LBM for all other activities, you burn more too, even if weight stays the same or drops.

Now, from that increased burn, you would indeed subtract moving around that decreased weight. You weigh less, you burn less.

But, the majority of calories burned in TDEE has nothing to do with moving small or great amount of weight around. Shoot, the BMR, just lying around all day, burns the most calories, more than usually all the other activities combined. And if your LBM has remained the same, that stays about the same.
    And the daily non-exercise type activities that doesn't involve big burns anyway, the difference between weights is minor. And the exercise where the difference of weight really shows up in different calorie burns, is brief compared to all day.

Here is an example my spreadsheet already had loaded in it. F - 45 - 66in - CW 180 - GW 130 - 40% BF - 108 lbs LBM.
    8 hrs sleep daily, 1 hr slow walking type activity daily, balance is sitting/standing.
    Katch BMR - 1428
    Activity cal's - 536
    TDEE cal's - 1964

If she started out weighing 150 with same LBM, that means BF is 28%. BMR/TDEE are actually the same. And calorie burn in exercise will depend on level of effort, pretty accurately estimated by HR level. And if heavy or light version both hit the same HR in activities, same level of burn.

Let's say our lady with fat2fit diet and that 1hr daily activity loses reasonable fat/weight in first month, and down to 176, 35% BF, now 114.4 lbs LBM.
    Katch BMR - 1491
    Activity - 559
    TDEE - 2050

Went up 23 cal, while weight went down. Minor true, but at some point, especially at beginning where muscle was perhaps very lacking, you could increase your LBM pretty decently while not losing weight, and your BMR and TDEE actually go up.

Let's say all the stats stay the same but 1 hr daily aerobic has been thrown in instead of sitting.
    Katch BMR - 1491
    Activity - 776
    TDEE - 2267

Compare that to start weight stats again, pretending exercise was done from the start.
    BMR - 1428
    Activity - 744
    TDEE - 2172

So increase of 32 cal just because of increase in LBM. Keep that up through 10 lbs lost instead of just 4, and you could see 100 more increase to BMR/TDEE just through increased LBM.
    At the start of course. As our lady keeps working out, it's harder to keep gaining LBM. And then as just weight drops, indeed BMR would drop.

But as many discover, it is entirely possible that because of feeding their workouts, despite weight loss, they actually get to eat more to sustain their new LBM and level of activity.
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    Help!!

Age- 23
    Height- 64 inches
    Weight- 269
    Goal- 175 (will change it when I get there)
    BF- 60% (holy cow)

Katch-McArdle- 1430

Activity- Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)- 2494 (i zumba 5x a week with 2 rest days)

So I should be eating 2494 when I exercise and 1430 when I don't?
    Say I burn 1000 cals doing zumba, I do not eat those back because they are already in the 2494?
    Say I burn 200-300 cals, do I still eat 2494 or do I just add it to the 1430?

I am so confused.
  • MUByM
    Options
    Bumpin'
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Help!!

Age- 23
    Height- 64 inches
    Weight- 269
    BF- 60% (holy cow)

Katch-McArdle- 1430

Activity- Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)- 2494 (i zumba 5x a week with 2 rest days)

Say I burn 1000 cals doing zumba, I do not eat those back because they are already in the 2494?

I am so confused.

if you got the 2494 from Fat2fit, you eat the same calories every single day.
  • MUByM
    Options
    Help!!

Age- 23
    Height- 64 inches
    Weight- 269
    BF- 60% (holy cow)

Katch-McArdle- 1430

I am so confused.

if you got the 2494 from Fat2fit, you eat the same calories every single day.

Yeah I got it from there. Thank you! I just changed my goals!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bump
  • random_20
    random_20 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    just wondering how people are going with this method?
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump