Any Wonen Motorcyle rider out here

Options

Replies

• smiles4deb
    smiles4deb Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm fixin to take a riding course in the summer. I've been riding on the back of my hubby's for last 7 years. We've talked on and off for the last couple years of me getting my own. I'm really nervous because 3 years ago he was in an accident and spent 4 months using a wheelchair and a walker, but think it would be really cool to have my own. He's been showing me some stuff and says he will take me to big parking lots to practice, so I think I will be fine, it's just a huge step for me. :smile:
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi! I ride a '74 custom Harley Shovel. Been riding 22 years, currently on my 4th Harley. Loving looking hotter on it this season!

Yep losing weight to look good in leather....

How fickle can you get!
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    I'm fixin to take a riding course in the summer. I've been riding on the back of my hubby's for last 7 years. We've talked on and off for the last couple years of me getting my own. I'm really nervous because 3 years ago he was in an accident and spent 4 months using a wheelchair and a walker, but think it would be really cool to have my own. He's been showing me some stuff and says he will take me to big parking lots to practice, so I think I will be fine, it's just a huge step for me. :smile:

I would suggest just doing an hours instruction with a decent school near you and see how you feel with it... Try to be one to one as well so no pressure from other peopl..

It is the best thing though and you'll lurve it!
  • Annie_Oakley
    Options
    I'm a rider as well.
    Had a bad accident in August 2011-crushed 3 vertebrae in my neck, now sporting some hardware.

HOWEVER...

I'm looking into my next bike. I had a Kawasaki KLR 650.
    I've got my eyes on a Kawasaki Vulcan 500...or someting similar.

Looking forward to gettin back in the saddle...

CAGE FREE WOMAN! lol
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Hi! I ride a '74 custom Harley Shovel. Been riding 22 years, currently on my 4th Harley. Loving looking hotter on it this season!

I'm with you there...even though mine soft tail deluxe is no where as cool as yours. I like getting checked out now intsead of reading that look "there goes the fat lady"
  • Fun4me2bFit
    Options
    2006 Triumph Bonneville. Hubby has HD Sportster 1200. We ride NC mountains often and love it! Rode this past Sunday up to Boone and will ride again Memorial weekend for a few days near Brevard to chase and play in the various waterfalls.
  • bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi there

I presently ride a 1981 vintage Suzuki GS 650 Custom, and have been riding all my life (well, since I was 10 years old, when I used to steal my elder brothers bike and ride around our green, lol)
  • mdmomof4
    mdmomof4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone for your advice. I will keep you posted lol
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    My husband rides, but I have been on the bike once since we've had kids...4.5 yrs! And we both gained weight, so technically too much for the bike we had. But he just bought a Triumph Rocket III Touring that I cannot want to get a ride on! It's been too long!
  • Annie_Oakley
    Options
    kpleet, I hear you on the weight thing.
    I don't even have a helmet yet - and hubby's 650 just isn't built for 2
    I've got a pair of riding pants i wanna fit into, and gotta get another mesh jacket.
    I'll never ride unarmored...
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    Nope skin and tarmac dont mix!
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!!! I have had my license for several years... But, have not come up with the moolah to get a bike of my own yet! Any extra money I manage to save for a bike, I end up putting into my car (I think I love cars just a bit more). Plus, I have a wedding in a month - OMG... these are crazy expensive events! But, as soon as I stop finding cool stuff for my car and dont have a wedding to pay for, I hope to get my Kawasaki 636... orange to match my Camaro! :happy:

I also took the riding safety course for the bike... best thing I ever did. I went from being scared as heck, to feeling comfortable and confident. Plus, if you do well enough in the class I took, you didnt have to go down to the DMV and take the test. That alone was well worth giving up the weekend! And, I will be taking this as a refresher course when I do find a bike!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement on how to deal with the fears. Funny thing, just THINKING about getting back on it makes my chest tighten up in panic. I'm kind of at the point of thinking - if it's THIS stressful for me, maybe I should just accept the fact that I'm just not a rider, and settle in behind my husband for the rest of my days. If I'm that worked up over it, me being on my own isn't safe for me OR for those around me, right?

But then...there ARE new tires on it, so I'm not giving up just yet. :) Also, it could be the style of the bike itself - the Aero has a long front rake, and you can't easily make a U-turn on a suburb street without running into someone's yard (hubby even ran into the yard on it, which shocked him - he thought I just couldn't turn well, lol), so it's worth considering trying a different bike altogether, I think. We'll see...no huge rush...have 2 kids heading to college this fall, so that's where our money will be going for now.

I do have a different question for you all - this summer, we're planning a trip to the Chicago area to take our son to a music camp, and we'll hang out in the area for a week while he's there. Hubby wants to follow us in the car with his bike, so when it's just the two of us, we can hop on the bike and scoot around the city. Have any of you been in Chicago traffic? It's insane. Would trying to navigate that on a bike be a death wish, you think? :p (I fully trust his ability on the bike - it's the OTHER drivers that worry me.)
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I am riding a Yamaha Virago 535.:love:

I have my licence since 1988 but first didn´t have the money, then had 4 kids. Just started riding again last year.
    Unfortunately the season where I live is very short, mid May till September only. Time to get my bike out, yeah!
  • Annie_Oakley
    Options
    hdsgirl, i can TOTALLY understand the fear.
    even when i'm in my vehicle, i get nervous where i wrecked
    met a minivan head on in a blind curve - before sunrise
    my choice at that split second was hit her head on, or try to get around her
    i chose the latter and ended up head first in the ditch
    got a life flight to uk med center - most frightening time of my life...
    fear is there - but you can't allow it to control you
    trust your instinct-you can't go wrong
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I dont ride myself YET, but I completely love being on the back of my husbands Harley. We took a trip to Arkansas with a bunch of friends over spring Break. I have been sad that the last two rides we have been unable to go on. I miss being on that bike. I would like to get one of my own and learn to ride, but then I would have to choose when to ride with him and when to ride by myself lol (we are still newlyweds)
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

I do have a different question for you all - this summer, we're planning a trip to the Chicago area to take our son to a music camp, and we'll hang out in the area for a week while he's there. Hubby wants to follow us in the car with his bike, so when it's just the two of us, we can hop on the bike and scoot around the city. Have any of you been in Chicago traffic? It's insane. Would trying to navigate that on a bike be a death wish, you think? :p (I fully trust his ability on the bike - it's the OTHER drivers that worry me.)

I live a couple hours away from Chi-town and go there a couple times a year. I value my life... so, I personally would not drive or ride up there. But, I have seen plenty of people on bikes there. It also depends where you are riding. If its just around the main streets and not on the highway, I might. But, crazy people doing 80 - 100 mph on the highway is a scary NO for me. Bumper to bumper traffic on Michigan Ave... annoying, but not scary.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My husband has a Goldwing and I ride with him (on the back). I have had 3 back surgeries and cannot hold one up on my own. I love going with him. He has only had it about 3 yrs and we love it.
  • Annie_Oakley
    Options
    My husband has a Goldwing and I ride with him (on the back). I have had 3 back surgeries and cannot hold one up on my own. I love going with him. He has only had it about 3 yrs and we love it.

The weight of a bike is intimidating to me as well.
    Worry that my knee will give out - so I'm lookin for something smaller...yet able to go on a road trip.
    I absolutely LOVE riding my own bike behind my husband - there's nothing like it...the sheer freedom
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options

I live a couple hours away from Chi-town and go there a couple times a year. I value my life... so, I personally would not drive or ride up there. But, I have seen plenty of people on bikes there. It also depends where you are riding. If its just around the main streest and not on the highway, I might. But, crazy people doing 80 - 100 mph on the highway is a scary NO for me. Bumper to bumper traffic on Michigan Ave... annoying, but not scary.

Yeah - you're echoing my own thoughts. True, parking would be easier in the city with a bike, but getting in and out of the city (we'd be staying out west a little in the Lombard area) means insane highway madness both ways. Knowing him, we'll wind up out there with the bike, but maybe I can convince him to use the car for days we actually go into the city, and use the bike for more rural excursions. :)