North Carolina Amendment to Ban Gay Marriage, thoughts?

Options

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Really I don't see a problem with the ban, homosexuality is a personal choice, you can't force the acceptance of your lifestyle on anyone else. 1Cor 6:9-10 sums it up pretty well and for those who argue that there is a seperation of religion and state, you can not leave God out of His own arrangement Gen2:24.

I know there are many who don't believe or consider God but many of us do so therefore, N.C. voted and the gay rights will not prevail in that state. Feel free to move to any state that will honor a gay marriage.

You're so ignorant it's actually humorous. Homosexuality is not a choice. People do not choose who they love. Open your eyes, get your head out of the Bible and look around.

So you MUST have sex with person???? I mean I am heterosexual and I don't HAVE to have sex or be in a relationship with a person. I prefer to keep my head in the Bible, at least it makes sense to me. But thanks for your opinion, this is a thread to state your PERSONAL opinion, this is NOT a debate. Your comments will not change my mind or my view point, at least I am not being rude like MOST of you who are responding to my OPINION.

Relax you. Who is even talking about sex? No one. We are talking about relationships. Relationships don't always mean people are having sex. Humans are meant to be with other humans - it's nature. Yes, you are allowed to state your opinion but when your opinion is absolutely 100% wrong, it is no longer an opinion and needs to be told it is wrong. If I say the sky is brown, you're going to tell me I'm wrong and that it's in fact blue.
  • crabbyfatty74
    crabbyfatty74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a question, If the separation of church and state is so important in this country... why is everyone trying to push for legalizing gay marriages. Marriage is a religious thing, so shouldn't the church be aloud to say no.

I could be mistaken, never looked into marriage, but the only thing that changes, from being a living together situation, is someone's name changes.

Marriage is much more than just a name change. It allows 2 people the right to make decisions together (LEGALLY) or on behalf of the other, which if 2 people are living together does not give them that right
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a question, If the separation of church and state is so important in this country... why is everyone trying to push for legalizing gay marriages. Marriage is a religious thing, so shouldn't the church be aloud to say no.

I could be mistaken, never looked into marriage, but the only thing that changes, from being a living together situation, is someone's name changes.

It's actually more than just a 'religious thing.' Before you can have whatever type of marriage ceremony you want in whatever religious or nonreligious establishment you want, you must go to the county clerk's office and apply for a marriage license.

That's why you can just go down to a courthouse and get married if you desire. No religion necessary. And since it's a legal thing, it has implications on financial things like filing taxes. If gay marriage is banned, homosexual couples do not get the opportunity to file their taxes jointly.

It also has implications for situations such as medical emergencies. If you aren't legally married, you aren't considered family. And if you aren't considered family, you could be prevented from seeing your loved one at the hospital when they are seriously ill.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Actually, the Constitution states that no State Law can supersede the Federal Law. Since marriage is a civil right, it is covered by the Constitution.
    The Constitution states, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Where recognition of marriage is not a power delegated to the federal gov't, it is reserved to the states -- the people.
  • ChocolateisCrack
    ChocolateisCrack Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Um my thoughts were, they must really hate gay people, jeez. I thought that was a bit much, I don't have a strong feeling either way, because I don't judge anyone, because I sure the hell have my quirks. Why be so hateful though.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Gay marriage should be legal. Period. And if you think or feel otherwise then go tell it off a mountain.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    If we are supposed to be oped minded, shouldn't we respect the views of the voters in NC? Or does open minded only apply if you agree with one side? Christians can't "force" their beliefs on everyone, but the gay community can force us to accept their lifestyle no matter what. I believe the word to describe that is "hypocritical".

Marriage is an institution designed to raise families, yes I know some people can't, but I'm talking about the main reason for the union. In essence, it's not just about who you love, or what kind of sex you have which is what homosexuality breaks down to.

It recognizes the need for a man and a woman to be involved in the raising of children. Both are important in development of the child. Saying one is not needed(which gay marriage is saying in a way) is a disservice to the unique qualities each sex brings into the family.

Plus it hasn't been proven that people are born that way, to say it's fact is ignorant. Besides, even if it were true, being born a certain way doesn't give a license to do whatever it is you want.

Please stop comparing this to race and the civil rights movement. Doing so lessens the hardships black americans endured for generations. the "plight' of the homosexual is nowhere near what it was for a black person growing up in certain areas of this country before the 1960's.

I realize it's cool to be PC, but it's also cool to think about the issues and form an opinion on your own.

They're not trying to force anything on you. They're trying to live with the same rights you have.

It can be compared. They're bullied and due to this bullying they're committing suicide. People need to live and let live.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that banning certain people from loving one another is exactly what Jesus would have done
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    And so in September I will be travelling to Charlotte, NC armed with tons of glitter and enough rainbow gear to choke a leprechaun.

*runs away in terror*

Naw, I'm only kidding..............I hope you shout it from the rooftops. Discrimination is not okay. Not against any group.
  • gsh06160
    gsh06160 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i think it's ridiculous. if two people are happy together than whose business is it to tell them it's wrong.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's sad and pathetic that some people have nothing better to do with their time than get in the way of other people's happy relationships.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Actually, the Constitution states that no State Law can supersede the Federal Law. Since marriage is a civil right, it is covered by the Constitution.

How is it a civil right? Nobody is stopping people from getting married under Biblical standards (or any religion).

This doesn't prevent Church marriages. It prevents homosexuals from gaining all of the spousal rights that anyone in a civil union in the United States enjoys.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    And so in September I will be travelling to Charlotte, NC armed with tons of glitter and enough rainbow gear to choke a leprechaun.

*runs away in terror*

Naw, I'm only kidding..............I hope you shout it from the rooftops. Discrimination is not okay. Not against any group.

I :heart: you. :smile:
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    This thread in going to give me an aneurism... in before the lock
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If we are supposed to be oped minded, shouldn't we respect the views of the voters in NC? Or does open minded only apply if you agree with one side? Christians can't "force" their beliefs on everyone, but the gay community can force us to accept their lifestyle no matter what. I believe the word to describe that is "hypocritical".

Marriage is an institution designed to raise families, yes I know some people can't, but I'm talking about the main reason for the union. In essence, it's not just about who you love, or what kind of sex you have which is what homosexuality breaks down to.

If gay marriage is allowed, it's not forcing anything on you. I simply don't see how that is a valid argument.
    But a ban on gay marriage IS in fact imposing one interpretation of christian values onto others.

Also, I happen to know quite a few families with children where the parents are gay. They still can't get married, file joint taxes, own community property together...but they have been raising children for well over a decade together. They have no domestic violence, no affairs, no abuse- like many hetero marriages that are recognized. If the law is about raising children, then only allow people who have children to marry. Why not?
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is that even if the amendment had not passed.. Gay marriages would still NOT be recognized in North Carolina.... the truth is that by passing the amendment they are hurting far more heterosexual couples than gay couples.... children born out of wed lock can be denied health insurance and widows lose their pensions now due to the passing of this amendment.... :( I'm more concerned about the elderly widows and children whose parents arent' married than homosexuals... it's just sad.. :( It was described as allowing gay marriges I believe to get ppl to vote for it... when the reality is that it covered far more than that and alot of the ppl who voted for the amendment may one day be negatively affected by what they voted for....
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums
    Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Interesting how a few of these recent posters who are "heterosexuals" KNOW. that being gay is a personal choice...........whoa, talk about stupidity

How do these last few straighs know about being gay..?

I d think they'd know nothing about why a person is gay or straight........

Did they choose to be straight when they were kids?"

Sigh......
  • cindaroses
    cindaroses Posts: 117
    Options
    Marriage is a biblical idea. Where else do we get the idea from? I'm glad they banned it.
  • kimdoes
    kimdoes Posts: 90
    Options

This was the point I made to my best friend last night.
This discussion has been closed.