Healthy homemade chinese food recipes?

Options

Replies

• Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Teriyaki chicken:
    (serves 2)

1 chicken breast, cut in half (one half for each person) with each half cut into slices.
    1 bottle kikkoman teriyaki/stir fry sauce
    Approx. 1/3rd green pepper-Cut in half, seeded, and cut into half strips
    Approx 1/3rd red pepper-Cut in half, seeded, and cut into half strips
    Approx 1/3rd yellow pepper-Cut in half, seeded, and cut into half strips
    Approx-1/3rd white onion cut into rings then chopped
    (If you prefer more veggies such as broccoli,carrot,and snap peas go right ahead and add them in too. Be careful with broccoli in this recipe as mine came out very smooshy)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Paprika (if desired)
    Srirachia sauce (if desired)

Heat a large pan over medium-high heat.
    Spray a bit of non-stick cooking oil down and place chicken strips flat in the pan. Cook the chicken until brown turning when each side is fully cooked and lightly brown.
    Once chicken has become lightly browned and fully cooked inside, move chicken to the sides of the pan leaving the middle open. Spray more oil (or a bit of butter for more flavor) into the center of the pan then add the veggies-allowing them to stir fry for a short time before mixing the chicken and veggies together.
    Add salt, pepper, and paprika at this point.
    Using the stir fry sauce lightly drizzle over the veggies and chicken. Then stir to coat. (Less then a cap-full at this point)
    Stir fry the chicken and veggies until the chicken has browned to your liking and the veggies are cooked enough to still have crunch but be softer to bite into.
    You can add more drizzles of the stir fry sauce if you prefer more with yours-I usually use 2 'drizzles' of the sauce over mine because I like to have enough sauce to coat some of the rice i put my stir fry on top of.
    Before serving, add several drops of Sriracha sauce and stir to combine.

*Note-Stir Fry sauce can be fairly high in sodium so if you would like you could dilute the sauce with a small bit of water and combine the srirachia sauce into this.
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thai Chicken and Sugar Snap Peas

Makes: 4 servings

3/4 cup Italian Dressing
    1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
    2 Tbsp. crunchy peanut butter
    2 Tbsp. honey
    2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
    1 bag (8 oz.) fresh sugar snap peas, rinsed, drained
    8 oz. thin spaghetti, cooked, drained

MIX dressing, peanut butter, honey, soy sauce and crushed red pepper with wire whisk until well blended; set aside.
    COOK and stir chicken in large skillet on medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add snap peas; cook and stir an additional 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove skillet from heat. Add dressing mixture and spaghetti; toss lightly. Serve immediately. Or, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

***Use PB2 or any kind of PB to lower cals even more, use whole wheat pasta if you'd like, etc.
  • rughead06
    rughead06 Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    bump.....
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pleytem
    pleytem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    would love to try some of these out!!! thank you!
  • curlygirly80
    curlygirly80 Posts: 176
    Options
    BUMP!
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Healthy Chinese food - most Chinese food are healthy as we tend to ensure that its a balanced diet, carbo - usually rice, lots of vegetables, and some meat, 2 dishes and 1 soup, with rice, misnour usual dinner meal. We tend to stir fry, with vegetable oil, add salt for taste, or steam eg fish, egg, with soya sauce, boil soup with pork or chicken or dried anchovies.

Stir fry Vegetables - Spinach, Kaile, Choy Sum. 1 clove of garlic, 1 tsp of vegetable oil, pinch of salt for taste. Heat pan and oil, add garlic - stir fry garlic till lightly brown, add vegetable, stir fry for 3mins or so, add salt for taste, and add a little water, cover to soften vegetable, 30 seconds, to keep the vegetable green and crispy. Ensure that the fire is big all the time. If you want no fats, just boil or steam vegetable - but that is usually less taste, although healthier.

Stir fry mixed vegetables - can be broccoli, with red, green peppers, capsicum, carrots, peas, cauliflower - take your pick on any 3 of the above. use oyster sauce instead of salt. 1 tsp is good for 2 cups of vegetables. Same method as above, stir fry garlic till lightly brown, add the vegetables, for this you will stir fry longer 5 mins, mix oyster sauce with 1/2 cup water, add to pan,add a bit more water if need be, to cover 1/2 your ingredient at least, cover bring to boil up to 1 min, if you like it softer, up to 2 mins. I use a fork to poke through to test if it's soft enough. For this dish, you may add chicken slices, pork, and even walnuts or cashew nuts.

Wanton in soup - Chinese wanton is usually made up of minced pork and/or shrimp. I like to put both, shrimp has a natural sweetness. Portion, 1/2 / 1/2. Mince them well. Use a blender or back of knife to mince them. For total of 6 oz meat - Add 1/2 tsp of salt, dash of white pepper, 1tsp of sesame oil and 1 tsp soya sauce, mix well. If you like add scallions - chopped. Put 1/2 - 3/4 tsp of meat for 1 wonton wrap. To wrap, just dab a little water on the corners and pull them together. If not cooking immediately,put into fridge to keep them dry. Note, do not stack up, they will glue together. You may deep fry them which is not a healthy choice, healthier choice is boil them in dries anchovies base soup or clear chicken soup.

To make a clear chicken soup or dried anchovy soup - use a leg of chicken - remove skin to be more healthy. Add 4 -5 cups of water. Boil water first, add chicken or dried anchovy when water start boiling, boil under high fire for 1/2 hour, bring down the fire to smallest, boil for another 1 hour. This will give you a clear chicken soup or tasty anchovy soup for wonton. You may add tofu, Choy sum into the soup to make a dish on its own.

By the way, the trick to a really good fried rice - use overnight rice ( fridged), and add a dash or 2 of Worcester sauce,a a little salt, and soya sauce. Add the egg only after you stir fry the rice till it looks dry in pan. You will get a very tasty fried rice.

If there's any specific dishese anyone interested and not too complex, will be happy to share.
  • eedossa
    eedossa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Love the recipes posted here! Can't wait to try them :)
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!! I have been wanting some great chinese food!!!!!!!
  • miaroche
    miaroche Posts: 12
    Options
    bump
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    love chinese. bump
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    So many yummy ideas! Thanks! :)
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    bumping so I can find this later
  • pattynava
    pattynava Posts: 331
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Will definitely be checking this out later ~ I love Chinese food. My weakness is sesame chicken & honey rangoons!!
  • rughead06
    rughead06 Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    Will definitely be checking this out later ~ I love Chinese food. My weakness is sesame chicken & honey rangoons!!
    honey rangoon sounds good!!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is my kryptonite :grumble: ... definitely need these!
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Bump for recipes.