What do you put in your salads?

Options
I am getting bored with my salads. Would love to know what you put in your salads.
Thanks!

Replies

• glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I had one today with grilled onions, chicken and lettuce... Salads are really versatile... just experiment with different toppings (avocados, any type of meat, soybeans, nuts, ground flax seed, berries, etc)
  • zeleni
    zeleni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As of late I have been putting yellow, red, and orange bell peppers, some cubed marble cheese, sliced up mini carrots, cucumbers cubed, cauliflower.. and then for a dressing, fat free zesty italian!

I don't normally go for low calorie dressings, as I love the flavor of the orginials, but thought I would try it out... and to be honest with you, can hardly tell the difference!

MMmmmm Yum!!

I forgot, depending on the day and how hungry I am, I will through a grilled half chicken breast in the mix too!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Mine usually has bell pepper, mushroom, cucumber, tomato. i'll add cheese, shrimp, boiled egg or avocado if i'm feeling adventurous. i prefer spinach or arugula over other greens.
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    if you can find Quaker's sweet chili rice cakes
    try crumbling some up next time for your salad as a crouton substitute
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I put tons of stuff in mine, well not all at once but there's almost endless options for salads!

fresh veggies such as bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots, cucumbers,tomatoes...

Fruits! More specifically berries such as raspberries, blueberries, blackberries

Can also put tree nuts, avocado, dried cranberries, cheese,chicken,kale...the options are virtually endless!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Feta or Parmesan cheese and cheddar goldfish instead of croutons! :love:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    My favorites - tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower. Even better if I have a diced up hard-boiled egg, maybe even some chicken breast. Mmmm.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

Goldfish! What a great idea! I'm going to try that tomorrow, thank you!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    my fork! ... umm on top of my salad the usual culprits, tomato, cucumber, maybe some slivered plain blanched almonds, a can of tuna, celery, red wine vinegar and olive oil or light balsalmic, instead of tuna, some baked boneless skinless chicken tenders, and then I will use wishbone light buffalo ranch dressing.
  • AimeeLynn90
    AimeeLynn90 Posts: 94
    Options
    My favorite is a chicken cobb salad. But recently I like to add different fruits like strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges and pineapple with an apple white balsamic dressing. :)
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Usually sweet peppers and romaine lettuce for dinner.

Lunch today was romaine lettuce, grilled chicken, and strawberries. Yummm!
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Goldfish! What a great idea! I'm going to try that tomorrow, thank you!
    I agree!

Today I had cherry tomatoes, hard boiled egg and tuna on my salad. Weird? Maybe. But I was trying to fit in more protein! :)
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    typically romaine, grape tomatoes (this week i'm actually using an heirloom mix of cherry tomatoes to change it up a bit), cucumber, sunflower kernels. then every week i try to change it up a bit by sometimes adding avocado, bell pepper, carrots, radishes - whatever strikes my fancy when i'm grocery shopping that week. I try to change up the dressings too - i'm picky about "fat free" dressings but i love fat free catalina, there's also a lemon vinaigrette i found that i like and a soy sesame ginger vinaigrette (sometimes when i use that, i use nappa cabbage instead of romaine and make it like an asian slaw). and sometimes i just use balsamic vinegar and no oil instead of salad dressing.
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Made one of my VLL (very little lettuce) salads today:
    Sweet red peppers
    Sweet yellow pepper
    Sweet orange pepper
    Sweet petite pickles
    Olives
    Carrots
    Celery
    Jack cheese
    Parmesan/Romano/asiago cheese
    Vidalia onion
    Cheesy croutons
    Sunflower seeds
    Bacon bits (real)
    Hard boiled egg
    Pico de Gallo for dressing

Oh and romaine lettuce too.

A huge plate of this is 200 calories.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Tuna, red bell pepper slices, tomatoes, cayenne pepper, cucumbers, spinach, romaine, and dressing.

Or ground beef (with taco seasoning), black beans, salsa, avocado, lime juice, romaine, cheddar cheese.
  • mom2teebee
    mom2teebee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A regular salad is usually lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted red peppers, and feta cheese. Sometimes I like to put chicken and apples in it with walnuts. Sometimes I'll add chick peas.

I'm from Pittsburgh. A very common salad is a steak salad. It is a salad with steak and french fries on it. Occasionally I'll make a version with grilled chicken and baked fries.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Greek- feta, olives, tomatoes, red onion

Caprese- fresh mozarella, fresh basil, red onions, fennel

spinach- spinach, boiled eggs (whites), mushrooms, bacon, red onions

these are my go to salads
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    baby carrots, croutons, shredded cheese, light dressing, almonds

What I would like to know is how everyone records their food when they are making a soup or salad with so many ingredients. It takes so long to input everything on the salad or everything in the vegetable soup when you have a lot of ingredients; you can't just type in soup or salad, because the calorie count would not be accurate. Soups and salads can be a very low or very high calorie count.

So far, I have found some homemade soups with certain veggies in them on the food list, and I just use it, even if I don't have exactly the same veggies in my soup. Any other ideas?
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    baby carrots, croutons, shredded cheese, light dressing, almonds

What I would like to know is how everyone records their food when they are making a soup or salad with so many ingredients. It takes so long to input everything on the salad or everything in the vegetable soup when you have a lot of ingredients; you can't just type in soup or salad, because the calorie count would not be accurate. Soups and salads can be a very low or very high calorie count.

So far, I have found some homemade soups with certain veggies in them on the food list, and I just use it, even if I don't have exactly the same veggies in my soup. Any other ideas?

I make larger quantities and yes, I log each ingredient into "My Recipes" but then just choose one serving of it at a time until it's gone, then delete it.
  • wendyjo3
    wendyjo3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    if you can find Quaker's sweet chili rice cakes
    try crumbling some up next time for your salad as a crouton substitute

That's a good tip!