Any vegetarians started eating meat again??

Options
124»

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Eating meat again? Google "desensitizing throat spray".
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm not technically a vegetarian, but my meat intake is very low compared to the "average" person. I don't like the thought of having to kill an animal to eat. This does not stop me from eating small amounts of meat from time to time though, as it is impractical for me to be militantly vegetarian all the time.

So in a nut shell, you're not a vegetarian at all .... ?

:-D

I'm pretty sure that most vegetarians are peaceful creatures, and not very militant at all. And I'm curious what circumstances make it 'impossible' for anyone to be a vegetarian if that's what they wish to be?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for about five years and I went back to eating meat. I did not have any issues with reintroducing meat. I just sort of did it. I had expected some stomach issues at my system got used to digesting meat again, but never had a problem. Just go slow. Maybe start with meat based broths in cooking and a little meat as a flavoring in meals.
  • sirabbadon
    sirabbadon Posts: 27 Member
    Options

So in a nut shell, you're not a vegetarian at all .... ?

:-D

Hence, my admission at the front of my comment that I am not technically a vegetarian. My point in posting was to say that I eat so little meat as to be a practical vegetarian, and do so with the aforementioned high-protein items, in addition to TVP.
    I'm pretty sure that most vegetarians are peaceful creatures, and not very militant at all. And I'm curious what circumstances make it 'impossible' for anyone to be a vegetarian if that's what they wish to be?

mil·i·tant   [mil-i-tuhnt]
    adjective
    vigorously active and aggressive, especially in support of a cause: militant reformers.

The word need not mean, "one prone to violence." Abstract meaning. There's a difference between my dietary choices, which are personal, and announcing constantly that I am "vegetarian" and demanding (perhaps inadvertently or only implicitly) that those around me conform to my personal dietary preferences; hence, militant.

Now, as to what circumstances? One, I never said impossible. I said impractical. Now, if a family member cooks food that has meat in it, I'm going to eat it. If I am eating out with a group of co-workers and there is not a vegetarian substitute on the menu, I eat it. If I order something that I did not expect to have meat in it, but does, I eat it. The practical fact is that these animals are already dead and their meat is already here and used. It cannot be sent back and reused, only thrown away. Rather than waste it, I will eat it. Aside from that, I love the taste of meat, but I choose to eat very little of it.

For example, in the past week, I've had maybe one or two servings of meat. My point in posting was to offer TVP as an option to increase protein intake without sacrificing vegetarian convictions. Whether I am or am not a vegetarian is not the point.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Wow. Just wow. I have four degrees, honey, I don't need a dictionary definition to understand the word 'militant'. I get it.

My point was most vegetarians aren't 'militant'. I was trying, in a reasonably light hearted way, to point out that you describing anyone who isn't a watered down version of vegetarian who 'eats meat when they feel like it' as 'militant' might be a bit offensive. Those of us who don't eat meat aren't 'millitant vegetarians'. We're just, you know, vegetarian.

It's not that you're 'not technically' vegetarian. You're not vegetarian. Not at all.

I find meat eaters' various claims to be vegetarian ("I'm a vegetarian, but I eat chicken and fish", "I'm not 'technically' vegetarian") bemusing at best.... and really quite confusing to the non-vegetarian public at worst.

I was taking issue with that aspect of your post. I didn't dispute the rest of it. But thanks for repeating it again.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    (Sorry Sassy, I accidentally hijacked your thread.... Blame it on being stuck home with poorly child!)
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    (Sorry Sassy, I accidentally hijacked your thread.... Blame it on being stuck home with poorly child!)

I have spent the first 30 mins in the office reading all the posts...there was only one page of them when I went to bed last night! I have had a good s****** this morning, but appreciate everyone's assistance on the subject...still unsure of the outcome of my trying to introduce meat back again. I feel I'm going to fail massively ,but what it has done, thanks largely to you Meerkat pointing out what I already knew was wrong with my food intake, maybe I can do this a little better without eating the dreaded flesh that makes me want to heave??
    When I have eaten meat/fish, the tiny mouthfuls, this last fortnight it has been (being back in Scotland) straight from my uncle's fishing line or chicken from my friend's garden or produce from completely organic/home sources, something that's incredibly difficult to guarantee in the Middle East...unless I want to eat goat or camel...which I don't!!!! I have had the best intentions while trying to introduce meat into my diet again, mainly health reasons (b12 deficiency causing me to have bells palsy, iron deficiency, lethargy and other related issues) I wanted to do this naturally and get better without taking a plethora of supplements to counteract this...........however force feeding myself substances that make me feel **** in other ways don't make sense either. It's been helpful to read about how others have made the transition, or at least tried. I'm still unsure today how I'll go about this but it's made for incredibly interesting reading, thanks all!! x
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm now laughing even harder about MFP automatically censoring the word "s n i g g e r".....hilarious!!! Only the "s" was allowed. Political correctness at it's absolute best!!!! :laugh: