Whole, 2%, or skim milk?

Options

Replies

• ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    None, Almond milk. It is the best choice out there!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to what you like more than anything else. I grew up on skim milk, but I cook with 2%.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits better into your day. There's no right or wrong answer.
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm lactose intolerant so I buy light vanilla soy milk, but for the things that I need real milk for, and will suck it up and take the lactaid pills for, I always go with skim. It just tastes better to me, not sure really about the health benefits of one over the other.
  • serhanilker
    serhanilker Posts: 15
    Options
    If you're trying to lose some serious weight, then sure, a lower-fat option is an easy way to save a few calories.

Choose whichever fits your taste. Just know that a whole-milk mustache doesn't mean you need to schedule a date for a triple-bypass surgery.

And found no association between the intake of saturated fat (the kind in milk and other animal products) and the development of heart disease and stroke.

Cheers
    S
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We buy whole milk and 1% for our daughters. I drink the 1%.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Depends on the context. If I am buying milk for home, I buy 1% (or almond). If I am drinking an espresso drink, 2%. The sweetness of the milk lessens the need for sugar. Skim milk doesn't have the sweetness or the creamy texture.

If I am drinking brewed coffee, I use whole milk instead of creamer or half and half. More calcium, less calories and I like a lot of milk in my coffee. :)
  • PSTreasure
    PSTreasure Posts: 40
    Options
    I stopped drinking dairy and drink unsweetened soy, almond and occasionally coconut milk. Less calories, more protein. It's a no-brainer for me. I try to save my calories for eating, not drinking..
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1% all my life!
  • brice7777
    brice7777 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've heard that drinking skim milk is like drinking sugar, but also heard that skim milk is the best to drink for the best calcium absorption. Whole milk provides too much fat. We do however need to have fat in our diet so I go with 1 or 2% and take a calcium supplement with magnesium (which ensures absorption of the calcium.)
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Just switched my family over to fat free milk. All the kids are finally at an age that they do not need full fat milk. They have not complained and it helps keep my calories in check.
  • gwoolie
    gwoolie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have semi in my drinks which i try and keep to a low anyhow, but in protein shakes etc i have full milk.

Ive heard almond milk is nice, but not tried, YET !!
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think most people can manage 2%. Whole milk has a high fat content, which is good for babies, but toddlers should drink 2% after age 3 or so. I myself drink skim, i hated it at first, but now its my go too. Whole milk is very tasty, but the calories and fat are not worth it for me.
  • muppetsbear
    muppetsbear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I drink skim. I grew up with dairy cows so I got cooler milk, explains why I'm not a milk fan. Anyway, it tastes good with chocolate or Capt crunch...I mean Fibre 1 cereal :happy:
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    A plain glass of milk I'll usually use 2% , for everything else I use skim. Cereal, protein shakes, cooking, etc
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    neither... soy or almond.
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    almond!!!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    1% because whole milk is too "thick". 2% is ok, but I don't need the milk fat as much as I do the calcium. Skim is just milk flavored water, lol.
  • sbh2781
    sbh2781 Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree, I have switched to unsweetened Almond Milk, at 35 calories, and 0 sugar compared to 90 calories and 12 sugars. Also has 50% more calcium than milk. When I want a little somthing different I will have a glass of 1%, but I like the Almond milk!