Hubs thinks my weight goal is too much

Options
I'm 5'4" and my weight goal is 110. My husband told me tonight he thinks that is just too much loss. Is it?

I chose that number because it was the lowest healthy weight on a chart I saw, and also because I started at 212 and I wanted my loss to be an even 100 pounds.

I've seen pictures on MyBodyGallery of pear-shaped, 110 pound 5'4" tall women and I thought it was a decent goal with a flattering figure. My husband thinks I'm going to look all gaunt and anorexic!

How do you set a decent goal that keeps health at the forefront?

Replies

• bashmir
    bashmir Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm 5ft tall and weight 188.5lbs I started at 203lbs. I went to my cardiologist last week for a fallow up and told him about my weight lose journey and that my goal was 130lbs. His respond was it would be to much that I should go down to 150lbs and see if that was a healthy weight for me. He also said that is comes down to health not scale number so for now I'm taking his advice. My goal now is 150lbs so I hope it will be okay.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I agree with your husband. I'm 5'4" and my goal is around 145. Now, I'm large boned with a big chest and don't want to be tiny. But even for smaller framed person I would think 125 or even 120. 110 just seems too low to me.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Take it a bit at a time. It depends on your bones too. If you are thin boned then maybe. Get to a certain pound and see how you feel about that. Then if you feel you need to lose more, do so but don't try to get too lose. Because you said it was the lowest number for your height...which means it is a small step above underweight, which is not healthy. Try for the mid range.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft1" tall and my doctor wants me to get down to 101 pounds, because of the height/weight chart and I'm not getting down to that number and I told my doctor that. I would look anorexic. The biggest I ever was, before I started gaining weight was 125 pounds and it took me 4 years to gain 20 pounds, bringing my weight up to 145 pounds.

I focus on my body fat percentage, pounds of fat and inches loss. Fat loss and scale weight loss aren't the same thing. I have a body fat percentage goal that I'm aiming for and when I get there, I will still be classified as being obese and I'm fine with that. My scale weight doesn't determine what size clothes that I wear or even if I'm healthy or not.

If I can suggest something to you that would be not to focus on scale weight. Body fat percentage or clothes size is a good thing to focus on.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I am 5 foot 3 and I started at 221.6, I chose 130 for my goal because it was close to the middle of the healthy range when looking at the bmi chart. However, the chart is not really accurate when it comes to everyones different body types. Start with your goal in mind but be honest with yourself when you start dropping weight. Some people do look very thin and anorexic where others look healthy once they hit where the chart says they should be. Good luck.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" with shoes on with bones like a bird and my goal is 105 to 110
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    120-125. I'm 5'4 and I'm 138 right now hoping to hit 120-130 which I know is big range, but I want to see what i look like.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type and frame. Personally, at 5' I've been 109 pounds and it's just about perfect. But I have a large frame. See how you feel and how you look as you get closer to your goal, you may adjust it. But don't worry about it now!!

(BTW my hubby also hates that I want to lose weight. He likes me with meat on my bones, exactly as I am now. Your hubby will get over it.)
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    Wow, 140 does look like a much healthier number for my height! I wanted to be able to say "I lost 100 pounds!" But I'd rather be healthy (that's the whole reason I'm doing this!) than be one of the Olsens!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Choosing a number that's the absolute lowest on a health chart is probably a bit too reaching. First, it's going to be a hard fight to get your body to want to push it essentially to what is teetering on the edge of unhealthy. Second, well, you'd be pushing your body to the very edge of unhealthy. To me that just doesn't seem like a safe/logical place to want to go.

Plus, it's likely that your ideas about your true goal will change as you actually start dropping pounds. The idea of just being super skinny could be replace with wanted to be fit and toned, which would equal a thinner/leaner body but might mean that you're higher on the scale because of all that awesome muscle that's making you look so lean.

As a 5'5" pear with a vague weight goal of 125ish, but an overall goal of knowing I'll be done when I feel confident enough to be one of those women in just a sports bra and shorts at the gym, I personally couldn't ever imagine what getting down to 110 would look like on me. When I got down to 135 (sans strength training at that point) at one point my aunt went crazy thinking I was anorexic. :P
  • jodyl70
    jodyl70 Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi there,

I am also 5'4" and my goal weight is 130 pounds, which is very healthy for our height. I have a small frame and wear a size 2 -4 right now. The heaviest I ever weighed in at was 190 pounds, so I know where your coming from.

I do heavy weight training and cardio, plus the most important healthy eating. (moderation - not deprevation) I have been down to 125 pounds at my lowest and it was VERY hard to maintain.

I guess the things to ask yourself how realistic will it be to stay at 110 pounds? Maybe set small goals and keep working to those first

Best of luck, you can and will do it!

:happy:
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and on the athletic side. I was my skinniest at 108. It was gross. It was like a borderline eating disorder/control thing. My goal right now is 122ish. Like I said, I'm on the athletic side, with medium sized bone build, anything lower than that starts to look not good on me.

So, the point to all this, is yes. Sounds too skinny to me. But then again, what do I know. Lol.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I am just under 5'5" and weigh 125lbs. I was around 112-116 in high school and I was too skinny. Even now, considering my body type, I am bordering on too thin. I think 120lbs at 5'4" is the lowest anyone should go.
  • scoutit
    scoutit Posts: 36
    Options
    People are so different...I think you'll know when you get there. I'm 5'3", pretty big boned, starting at 175 with a goal weight of 145. Then I changed it to 135. Then 125. I am still in the middle of my healthy BMI range, and think I am getting very close...I will probably stop at 120-125...so why don't you get to a healthy weight and see how you feel? It will look different on you than anyone else, and it's hard to predict.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on your frame, meaning basically how thick your bones are. I'm also 5'4", and my goal is 135, but I have the largest frame I've ever seen on a woman who wasn't taller. I would say see how you feel when you get down to that weight, and you will probably be able to accurately gauge how much more you want to lose, if any.

110 is only healthy on someone with very small bones though. If your shoe size is higher than 7 (I'm an 8.5), it probably isn't what's healthy for you.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 130 lbs. I am perfectly happy at this weight.

My friend is 5'4 and 119 lbs. We wear the EXACT SAME size clothing, even though she weighs 11 lbs. less.

Why is that?

body fat percentage. I work out hard 6 days and my friend does not work out at all. She keeps her weight down by eating about 1000 calories a day and smoking. She's really mushy, but perfectly happy. I eat about 2000 calories a day. Again: we wear the exact same size clothes.

I could not personally make it to 110 lbs. without sacrificing my muscle mass, and I have no desire to be mushy, so ya, I think 110 lbs. is too light, unless you like being mushy.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5" and I have more lean mass than your goal! IMO, the most sensible way is to get your body fat done (google for circumference methods or use a machine at a gym or calipers) then go to
    http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
    And give it a goal bodyfat percent, which can be arbitrary, at girly weights, each % is only about a pound and there's really only 17%-29% as legitimate options for someone starting out.

Good luck!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in with the "it depends on your frame" crowd. I'm only 5'0" but have a large frame and have always had a heavily-muscled figure. Just today, I had a similar conversation with my boyfriend because I thought I may have set my goal just a bit too low. We found a number of charts (from reputable sources) that use height and wrist measurements to determine frame size. Even at my short height, my frame size was well above the cutoff for "large."

Just remember that it's not about hitting a certain number or fitting into a certain size/style of clothing; it's about making the best out of your own personal attributes. Aim for a range rather than a specific numerical goal and gauge what you need to do once you get there and see what's going on at that point.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Depends how you're built. Don't be afraid to re-evaluate when you get closer to your goal.

I'm 5'5" and I always thought my goal weight was 130 and that 125 was a pipe dream and I would be skinny as a stick if I got there. Guess what? I got there and didn't feel "done." I'm currently 120lbs and quite happy with how I look.

I also wanted to add that for me the last little bit has been a really gradual process. I was 130-135 for a while (maybe 6 months or so), then decided to lose a bit more and aimed for 125. I was right around 125 for almost a year before I lost any more. So it gave me some time to be at the weight and see how it felt.
  • mdmchoco
    mdmchoco Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think your goal would be very hard to maintain so it would be better to pick a realistic goal for the long term, otherwise you will be upset when you go above 110. I am 5'2" and my goal is 130.