Looking for 1200 cals a day friends

Options

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I shoot for around 1200 calories per meal, plus snacks. Does that count?
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I manage to have 1200 cals most day and I'm also from the UK, feel free to add me!
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    Is it possible to be on 1200 cal and not be losing???? Should I start out higher and then go down to 1200? I am feeling frustrated ...i thought the weight would drop off. Only thing different this week was playing cards and drinking wine with dinner..ok so it was almost a bottle...but I went right back to 1200 and nothing forthe week...HELP

That's what I'm on too and the weight is defninitely NOT dropping off. If you don't have much to lose I think it goes much slower. I'll take 1/2 pound a week though - it's better than gaining :-)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to be on 1200 cal and not be losing???? Should I start out higher and then go down to 1200? I am feeling frustrated ...i thought the weight would drop off. Only thing different this week was playing cards and drinking wine with dinner..ok so it was almost a bottle...but I went right back to 1200 and nothing forthe week...HELP

It all depends on what you are eating rather than the calorie amount. Any chance you could open up your food diary?
  • pickle2323
    pickle2323 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Trying for 1200 a day here too, from SE UK. Would be great to have some friends on here for encouragement!
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ok.... please don't get too angry with me for saying this... but I just HAVE TO mention that 1200 calories is not a suitable amount for everyone - just because some people can survive on that, doesn't mean that everyone can. Anyone reading this thread and thinking that 1200 is some magic weight loss number - just remember that everyone is different and some people just seem to need more calories to be happy and healthy. The reason I say this is because I used to suffer from anorexia and believe it or not I reached a dangerously low weight while still eating around 1200 calories every day. I am tall with a fast metabolism and that simply was not enough food for me. I'm not saying that no-one should do this, ever - but if you are tall/young/active, just be careful :)
  • pickle2323
    pickle2323 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't pick the 1200 number, this site recommended it to me, so I was just going with that. I can't say I'm ALWAYS sticking to it (damn you wine!) but my weight loss has been very sensible, even a little slow... I'm averaging about 1/2 lb a week now.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 1200 Club too! Some days it's really easy, others are just plain difficult. :[ would be nice to see diaries!
  • toothfairy79
    toothfairy79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i am on 1200 cal a day. Feel free to add me and we can exchange ideas:)
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    1200 a day AND from the UK :) Coventry x
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I shoot for around 1200 calories per meal, plus snacks. Does that count?

<3
  • leahturner123
    Options
    add me im doing 1200 unless i gan more from exersize :)
  • 4rgl
    4rgl Posts: 106
    Options
    I'm only 5'1 so my maintainance is only about 1700. I usually eat around 1200 on non exercise days and about 1500 on exercise days.
    I'm a pescatarian moving towards being a vegetarian.

1200 cal people, 4000 cal people, weight loss, weight gain, muscle gain, vegeatarian or not, basically anyone who is interested in leading a healthy lifestyle, sharing tips, recipes, ideas and supporting one another is more than welcome to add me.

:)
  • 4rgl
    4rgl Posts: 106
    Options

It is very possible. 1200 is not a magic number like some people believe it to be. It might be counterproductive for some people as it might lead to plateaus or muscle loss or might not be enough to get enough nutrients.

It all depends though, how active are you? How tall are you? What are you eating? How much weight are you trying to lose? Is there any way you could make your diary public so we could be more helpful?

For example I'm only 5'1 and around 130lbs and trying to lose 10-15lbs. According to My Fitness Pal settings my maintainance is about 1600 when I select lightly active. So 1200 is a good goal for me to lose weight, about a pound a week. I also try to eat nutrient dense foods that keep me full.

On the contrary if you are a tall girl, or are very active, 1200 will not be adequate for you. Yes you will be eating less calories but you will also be sacrificing essential nutrients your body needs. Our bodies always try to survive, that's the way we are designed. If you stop giving your body too little to eat, there is a chance it will hold on to fat as a means of survival.

If none of this applies to you (for example you are also short like me, or are sure that 1200 is a good goal for you) then maybe you can look at other things such as sodium or water intake.
    Too much sodium and we tend to retain water. Not enough water, we get bloated and also retain water.

Lastly, I would say give your body some time to adjust. Did you just switch to 1200? Stick to it for about a month and if you still don't see changes, maybe you should increase your calories a bit, maybe to 1500?

Hope I could help
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Another member of the UK-based 1200 club. 1200 was what was recommended by this site. Some days are more successful than others. Had a real bad run lately, so need to get back on the wagon, so all help and support gratefully received. I also loathe exercise, so its a real internal battle to get me out walking :( I know that if i did more exercise I would see better results.
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey hey,
    I'm in Ireland and also around 1200 (1283 to be exact) cals. Feel free to add me, I'm struggling a bit at the moment and am not so sure whether to eat my exercise calories back or not. Would be good to see what happens for others on that calorie level!
    XXX
  • Legals81
    Legals81 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Another member of the 1200 club in your part of the world. Will add you.
  • shannairl
    shannairl Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm on 1200, I'm in Ireland, feel free to add.

I do eat back my exercise calories when I'm hungry though, I'm not strictly "ohmigosh I can only eat 1200". If I want more, I just move more.
  • AHoggins
    AHoggins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, we could all do with the support :)
  • immortalN7
    immortalN7 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on 1,200 :)