Take my breath away

Options
theleftie
theleftie Posts: 366
So, here is a scenario and some follow up questions.
A. For the purpose of this argument, you are a woman, a knockout with a killer body and amazing intellect.
B. A male coworker asks you if you want to "go grab lunch", and after you agree and are already driving in their car they they tell you that they are taking you to one of the most scenic spots where you live (if not almost anywhere in your state).
4. Coincidentally, when you arrive at your "destination", the song "Take my Breath Away" from the Top Gun soundtrack comes up on his playlist.

My questions:
Is this a date?
Is Take my Breath Away one of histories greatest go-to make out songs? (if you're my age)
How many of you know some of the lyrics to that sh*tty song?

Best answer gets a Chik-Fila gift certificate.

Replies

• ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    A. Only if she does him.
    B. Yes.
    4. All of them, and I'm over 10 years younger.

You win the gift certificate.

Also - you're welcome.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I don't even remember that song...I would have to look it up.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I don't even remember that song...I would have to look it up.

Think Top Gun.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    If I were a female and a male told me he was taking me somewhere romantic on a whim, I would reach for the pepper spray. Oh, or that other thing that a woman can do to scare a guy like me away. "Here's a key to my apartment! Move in tomorrow and let's make a bunch of babies!"
    -wtk
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Which one is supposed to question if it's a date? The man? Or the hot woman?

If I was the hot woman, I would be asking that question. Is it a date?

I still remember the lyrics and the serious kissing in the movie when that song was playing! Yeah baby!

"Through the hourglass I saw you, in time you slipped away
    When the mirror crashed I called you, and turned to hear you say
    If only for today I am unafraid"

And I am probably older than you! And now everyone knows how corny I am too. LOL
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    No, I wouldn't think of it as a date. I think of a date as a mutually agreed upon activity.

If there is an obvious chemistry/mutual attraction between this guy and me (the hotty with the banging bod), then I'd say that this was a very sweet and incredibly romantic gesture. If there isn't that mutual attraction or chemistry, but he's making his intentions known, then KUDOS to him for style and the balls to attempt it!

No, I don't think it's the best makeout song, and yes, I do know all the lyrics!

My favorite makeout song currently is "Skin" by Rhianna. VERY sexy!

I'm allergic to chicken.... :)
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    1. No. Someone asked her to "go grab lunch", not to be woooed. It is not a date and, quite frankly, that's entirely creepy, almost to the "stalker" level.

2. Horrible song - just horrible

3. The only lyrics I know to probably the cheesiest song in the world is: Take my breath away....ayyyy....ayyyy....!
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    "Is this a date?" Sure....why the hell NOT???

"Is Take my Breath Away one of histories greatest go-to make out songs? (if you're my age)" Yup! Made out with my "man" in 8th grade to that song, many a time! ;)

"How many of you know some of the lyrics to that sh*tty song?" Sadly, I do. AND, I could also tell you almost every fricken line in that movie! I was a Top Gun finatic.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Not a date. You went to grab a quick lunch. Nope! :ohwell:
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    In addition, I'm 33 and I know the song. I would never make-out to it intentionally because it sucks. :smile:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    If a guy did that, I would call my mother before getting in the car and tell her this:

Mom, I am going to grab lunch with Mr. Creepypants. If you don't hear from me in 1-2 hours please call the cops. I would interrupt the call and ask Mr. Creepypants what his phone number, social security # and address is and I would convey this information to my mother.

As soon "Take My Breathe Away" comes on, I would probably ask the guy to turn that sappy sh%t off.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I came up in the Top Gun era, and I think Take My Breath Away has to be one of the cheesiest songs of all time. It might have been headed towards a date until that song came on, then shoosh...all the air went right out of it....
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    NO! not a date, a near abduction! And based on the choice of music (since that would NOT be on any radio stations I, or anyone I would go to lunch with, listen to), I would definitely think it must have been this misguided cassanova's attempt at getting in my pants. And if he thought for even one second that would work, he had no chance to begin with and only went downhill from there. The poor *kitten* will be *kitten* in his car alone by the time the lunch break was over. Oh, and........... I Couldn't tell you the *first* word to that song. I am young, but I know a LOT of older songs and that one was never worth learning.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So, here is a scenario and some follow up questions.
    A. For the purpose of this argument, you are a woman, a knockout with a killer body and amazing intellect.
    B. A male coworker asks you if you want to "go grab lunch", and after you agree and are already driving in their car they they tell you that they are taking you to one of the most scenic spots where you live (if not almost anywhere in your state).
    4. Coincidentally, when you arrive at your "destination", the song "Take my Breath Away" from the Top Gun soundtrack comes up on his playlist.

My questions:
    Is this a date?
    Is Take my Breath Away one of histories greatest go-to make out songs? (if you're my age)
    How many of you know some of the lyrics to that sh*tty song?

Best answer gets a Chik-Fila gift certificate.

Based on A, a woman with amazing intellect would have already figured out that the dude was hot for her and was asking her out on a date.

If B and 4 happened, then my guess would be that the male co-worker chloroformed said hot/smart chick to get her in the car in the first place. At this point, she would be looking for the fastest escape route.

Take My Breath Away as a make out song? IDK - I wasn't big into the make-out scene in HS. Mostly b/c boys were too afraid to date me b/c my dad was scary as hell.

Do I know some of the lyrics? Yes...and now, thanks to this thread, I'm going to have them stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Not cool, OP. Not cool. :grumble:
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    NO! not a date, a near abduction! And based on the choice of music (since that would NOT be on any radio stations I, or anyone I would go to lunch with, listen to), I would definitely think it must have been this misguided cassanova's attempt at getting in my pants. And if he thought for even one second that would work, he had no chance to begin with and only went downhill from there. The poor *kitten* will be *kitten* in his car alone by the time the lunch break was over. Oh, and........... I Couldn't tell you the *first* word to that song. I am young, but I know a LOT of older songs and that one was never worth learning.

I :heart: You. That's a fantastic answer. Clearly the scenario the OP posted indicated an abduction. SICK!!!!!

Va_Voom has it right. Who, in their right mind, would be listening to a station that would be playing that song in the first place? That alone screams PSYCHO-SICKO.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Oh no! This happened to you didn't it??!

It's only a date to both parties if try agreed on it. Now... Dude with the hot lady in his car might've been trying to put the moves on because that does sound slightly suspicious but that still doesn't make it a date. It could've been a complete coincidence with the song. I'd probably laugh and make done corny joke about it. But yes... I do know the song. I'd never -intentionally- make out to it.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Oh lord, my dad had that record... yes... record! He liked Loggins and Messina so when Top Gun came out he bought Kenny's record. (Sorry… I keep laughing at record.)

*Movie trivia, the aircraft carrier in the movie was the USS Independence. Both my dad and cousin were on that ship. (20-years apart.)

Oh and no... not a date unless the chick liked the song too.
    :wink:
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    No, I wouldn't think of it as a date. I think of a date as a mutually agreed upon activity.

If there is an obvious chemistry/mutual attraction between this guy and me (the hotty with the banging bod), then I'd say that this was a very sweet and incredibly romantic gesture. If there isn't that mutual attraction or chemistry, but he's making his intentions known, then KUDOS to him for style and the balls to attempt it!

No, I don't think it's the best makeout song, and yes, I do know all the lyrics!

My favorite makeout song currently is "Skin" by Rhianna. VERY sexy!

I'm allergic to chicken.... :)

Yes, first line. Mutually agreed on activiity. Mutual as in she knows she's going to this scenic spot. Not after she's in the car. "Say, how about we drive to xxxxxx and eat the picnic lunch I just happened to pack in case you wanted to grab a bite of lunch..." after you get in the car, is not necessarily the best method of "getting" a date. It's been my experience that grabbing lunch is just that....grabbing lunch. No other grabbing is implied or expressed by the woman getting in the car!

As to the song.....eh, not so much.....and my age is such, that I did make out to it in a "K" Car....oh the shame of it all!

OP, gotta say man, you made my lunch hour, and we didn't even have to get in your car. Cheers!

Now as to the lovely looking and obviously banging body hottie that I quoted here; any KUDOS for me? I have style and cojones....
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    1. It's not a date if both parties don't agree it's a date

2. I HATE that song and I would sooner make out to Highway to Hell

3. I do not know the lyrics to that song and I'm 40. I was listening to the Doors and Traffic when every other girl was creaming herself to that craptastc movie. I still contend that a dead Jim Morrison is hotter than a live Tom Cruise any day.

4. Not that you asked, but I'm thinking the male co-worked misjudged his female co-worker just a tad,
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 34. My father was an air force pilot. Top Gun is one of my favorite movies. There is truly nothing sexier than a flight suit on someone, male or female. Having said that, THIS song makes the list of worst makeout songs ever.