Replies

• char721
    Options
    my FAVORITE is salsa chicken.

2 pounds of chicken breasts
    1 large jar of salsa
    1 can of whole corn kernels, drained
    1 can of black beans, drained

put the chicken and salsa in the crockpot, cook on low for about six to seven hours.

a half hour before, add the corn and black beans.

it's sooo good! i make this at least once a week. sometimes i serve it in either
    a whole wheat soft tortilla or i'll use the flatout wraps.
  • Linsmom
    Options
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do a taco soup just grab a couple cans of differnt kinds of beans, a can of corn, brown some hamburger and add a packet of taco seasoning. Simmer all day then eat with cheese sour cream (if you like it) and corn chips. Even my 2 year old loves it.
  • Linsmom
    Options
    sparksrecipes.com
    had a good recipe for Stuffed peppers...i would not use the condensed soup in it though, i would put in tomato paste.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!

The crock-pot is my best friend in the kitchen.
    Recently I made this

Pork & Beans
    2 cans of pork & beans
    1 package of boneless pork chops
    Cook on low 8 hours.

I will put any beef, chicken, ham or pork cuts in the crockpot.

Any sauce or salsa – bbq w/beef, chicken or pork.
    We did use a bottle of lemon pepper with chicken.

I do prefer boneless cuts in the crock-pot but if the meat has bones then the meat usually falls off the bones .

Wrap potatoes in foil – cook for low 8 hours

Applesauce – apprx 8-10 apples or fill to top, cored and pared. Add cinnamon (we do 1 – 2 tablespoons). Cook on low 8-10 hours

Pear sauce – same as apples. Made with or without cinnamon
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    One of my go-tos, which I just made last night for dinner with friends, is pork tacos. Just toss in a package of frozen onions and peppers, pork loin (I always divide the large one into fourths when I get home and freeze it... and I put it in straight from the freezer) and top with either a southewest style marinade, low sodium taco seasoning with a little water, or whatever other spices you like. Cook on low 8-10 hours and shred the pork for taco filling, salad topper, sandwiches, whatever.

Last night I used the kroger chipotle lime marinade (they're always on sale 10 for $10) and it was delicious and spicy! Sometimes I also like to use chili powder, cumin and corriander and it has a chili flavor. Yum!
  • s_sanchez
    Options
    You can get chicken (drumsticks, thighs) - put them in the crockpot and cover with any kind of BBQ sauce. I've made this a few times and it is delicious!! The meat comes right off the bone because it's been cooking all day - so yummy!! I usually serve with corn or roasted potatoes (EVOO, S&P grill in the oven).

Hope this helps!!:happy:

I tried to do chicken breast with BBQ sauce, I cooked it on low about 8-9 hours, and I came home and it was burnt to a crisp! I've been scared to try anything like that since then.
    Any tips?
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    hmmm sounds like maybe there wasn't enough moisture for the size of meat? maybe try adding a lil liquid, either water or broth.

also i generally put my veggies on the bottom, so say for that meal slice some onions and peppers on the bottom, your meat and your liquid/BBQ sauce you should be good to go on low all day. :)
  • LaurieB5578
    Options
    Thanks for all you help! Keep them coming!
  • jigglybits
    jigglybits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump! i just bought a crock pot!
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    bump
  • s_sanchez
    Options
    hmmm sounds like maybe there wasn't enough moisture for the size of meat? maybe try adding a lil liquid, either water or broth.

also i generally put my veggies on the bottom, so say for that meal slice some onions and peppers on the bottom, your meat and your liquid/BBQ sauce you should be good to go on low all day. :)

Thanks Pollies Girl, I think I'll give it another shot.
  • leisamarie
    Options
    Cooking this one tomorrow!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    This isn't exactly low calorie, but it was really good, really easy and everyone in my family ate it.

Beef and mushroom stew
    1 lb stew meat (I didn't trim it, but you could to make it lower in fat)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    2 cans of sliced mushrooms
    1 package of dry onion soup mix.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours
    Throw it all in and when you get home, stir it all up and make either noodles or rice. Poor the stew over the noodles and serve. Serves 4

I used the Sparks recipe calculator and it came out to about 250 calories per 4 ounce service, plus what ever for the noodles/rice.

My family includes 2 fussy teenagers, a meat and potatoes hubby and elderly parents in their 90's. Everyone ate it. So when I make it I double everything.

Also, I put the meat in frozen so that it is not over done when I get home, if we are running late.

JAM
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I made this this weekend, found on a website about a new book coming out - Make it Fast, Cook it Slow by Steaphanie O'Dea - comes out Oct 13th. This recipe was FANTASTIC - always has been my favorite Chinese entry, this was the best I've ever had.

Crock Pot Mongolian Beef

--1 1/2 pounds flank steak
    --3 cloves of garlic, minced
    --4 sliced green onions--one is for garnish
    --1 t dried minced onion (or 1/2 fresh onion, diced very small)
    --1/2 cup gluten free soy sauce (I used La Choy)
    --1/4 cup white wine
    --1/4 cup cooking sherry
    --1/2 T white wine vinegar (optional--I forgot to add it!)
    --1 t sesame oil
    --1 t molasses
    --1 t ginger
    --1/4 t black pepper
    --1 t red chili pepper flakes
    --1/2 T peanut butter (if allergic, use black bean paste)
    --3 T brown sugar
    --1/4 cup cornstarch (to dredge meat--don't add to sauce mixture)

The Directions.

--slice your meat in thin strips and toss in a Ziploc bag with cornstarch.
    --add all of the liquid and dried spices to your crockpot, and the peanut butter, and mix well. Add the garlic and three of the sliced green onions. If you are using fresh onion, add that now, too.
    --put your meat on top, and toss gingerly to coat.

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Flank steak is thin and have very little fat, and will cook quickly. There isn't a lot of liquid in this dish, so if your crock tends to cook hot, please check it after 3 hours.
    The meat is done when it is no longer pink and has reached desired tenderness. I cooked our meat in a 6qt oval Smart Pot and it was done after 4 hours on low.
    Serve over steamed or fried rice, and garnish with freshly sliced green onion.
  • vipersgirl28
    Options
    these sound so good. I am going to have to make some of them. :smile:
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe can be made with either a roast or chicken pieces. Put the meat in the crockpot, top with two cups of ketchup and a can of diet coke. Cook on low 8 hours or so. Sounds gross but it turns out fabulous.
  • yoopergirl
    yoopergirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I made a pork roast the other day...didn't need much water as I forgot to thaw the roast first, so put in 1 &1/2 c water w/1 pkt dry onion soup mix, cut up onions, put roast on top, less than 1/4c low sodium terriyaki sauce & closed it up. Cooked 4 hrs on high, meat fell off the bone. BF loved it even though he is not crazy about terriyaki sause.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I made this this weekend, found on a website about a new book coming out - Make it Fast, Cook it Slow by Steaphanie O'Dea - comes out Oct 13th. This recipe was FANTASTIC - always has been my favorite Chinese entry, this was the best I've ever had.

Crock Pot Mongolian Beef

--1 1/2 pounds flank steak
    --3 cloves of garlic, minced
    --4 sliced green onions--one is for garnish
    --1 t dried minced onion (or 1/2 fresh onion, diced very small)
    --1/2 cup gluten free soy sauce (I used La Choy)
    --1/4 cup white wine
    --1/4 cup cooking sherry
    --1/2 T white wine vinegar (optional--I forgot to add it!)
    --1 t sesame oil
    --1 t molasses
    --1 t ginger
    --1/4 t black pepper
    --1 t red chili pepper flakes
    --1/2 T peanut butter (if allergic, use black bean paste)
    --3 T brown sugar
    --1/4 cup cornstarch (to dredge meat--don't add to sauce mixture)

The Directions.

--slice your meat in thin strips and toss in a Ziploc bag with cornstarch.
    --add all of the liquid and dried spices to your crockpot, and the peanut butter, and mix well. Add the garlic and three of the sliced green onions. If you are using fresh onion, add that now, too.
    --put your meat on top, and toss gingerly to coat.

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Flank steak is thin and have very little fat, and will cook quickly. There isn't a lot of liquid in this dish, so if your crock tends to cook hot, please check it after 3 hours.
    The meat is done when it is no longer pink and has reached desired tenderness. I cooked our meat in a 6qt oval Smart Pot and it was done after 4 hours on low.
    Serve over steamed or fried rice, and garnish with freshly sliced green onion.

This sounds so amazing. Today my husband was saying how he wishes he could get Mongolian Beef at one of our favorite chinese places (they don't make it). So I'm going to try this. Any idea how many people this serves and the calories, etc per portion? Perhaps the cookbook lists that information, I would love it. Was this a spicy dish? My husband loves spicy but I prefer less spicy, THANKS FOR POSTING THIS.