JUST FRIENDS!

Options
_EmmaStrong_
_EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
I would like to know everyone's opinion on whether a man and a woman can "just be friends". I mean with "no benefits". Just like two women can be friends or two men can be friends.

I have a male whom is a very good friend. So, obviously, I do think a man and woman can be just friends, in fact "best friends."

What is your opinion?

Replies

• chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Of course they can. I have a few male friends, though I might not see them in a long time, they're more like brothers than anything, the ones I'm really close to. You don't have to have dated the guy to be friends with them.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i have a few male friends, some of them straight, and we're just friends. always have been. always will be. hell, for one, i was just a groomsman in his wedding last year.

i think that the idea that men & women can't be friends is terribly heteronormative, sexist and out dated.
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    I think it depends n whether your married or not. My husband is my best friend so I guess in that situation it is possible but other guy friends I've had have ALWAYS hit on me without fail. In my experience apparently cant. I woudn't dare think of it now as I feel its disrespectful to him. But if you're single I dont think its impossible.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    But. You answered your own question. I'm working on believing it's possible.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I would like to know everyone's opinion on whether a man and a woman can "just be friends". I mean with "no benefits". Just like two women can be friends or two men can be friends.

I have a male whom is a very good friend. So, obviously, I do think a man and woman can be just friends, in fact "best friends."

What is your opinion?

YES, you can totally be friends. I have been better friends with guys all the time..they don't gossip....now that doesn't mean that if you never ever initiated that he wouldn't try, (most men are dogs) but yes I totally believe in a platonic friendship...

But just a warning, if you love in a small town and you are seen hanging out with a guy and its all innocent, people are still going to talk...nothing you can do...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think it depends n whether your married or not. My husband is my best friend so I guess in that situation it is possible but other guy friends I've had have ALWAYS hit on me without fail. In my experience apparently cant. I woudn't dare think of it now as I feel its disrespectful to him. But if you're single I dont think its impossible.
    If your relationship can't deal with having a friend of the opposite sex, that's your thing. It doesn't mean it's impossible for other people to do it. How is it disrespectful to have friends?
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Well, as it turns out, women like to think it's possible, men know it isn't

Check the video

http://youtu.be/T_lh5fR4DMA
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I definitely think a man and woman can be just friends.
    I grew up with more guy friends than girl friends and everything was just fine.
    To me, a friend is a friend, and it doesn't matter what gender they are :)
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think its possible, but in my experience its been difficult because most of them had some sort of crush or infatuation with me. Sadly, I rarely feel the same, so it makes things awkward.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I think if there was a physical attraction by both parties it would be hard. Try and choose ugly friends if you can.
  • kay7jay
    kay7jay Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think if there was a physical attraction by both parties it would be hard. Try and choose ugly friends if you can.

lmao.... now I'm going to be asking my guy friends if they are only friends with me because they think I'm ugly :D
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I've had guy friends in the past...and then when I start dating someone, the new guy can't handle that I have guys as friends...hello? I thought that was *why* you liked me...because I can hang with the guys and deal with dirty jokes.
  • jesterx888
    jesterx888 Posts: 181
    Options
    I believe 100% men and women can be just friends. It doesnt matter if one thinks the other is attractive or if they both think each other is attractive. Friends are friends and thats that. It doesnt have to go beyond that.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    With the exception of about two girls, I've had only guy friends my entire life. I do have to say though, most of them have liked me at some point or another, but we/they got past it and are 100% platonic now. Most of my best guy friends though are guys that I dated in the past. We've sort of been there, done that, know it wouldn't work for one reason or another, and now we can truly just be friends with no other intentions. Other than that, I've found it's easiest to be JUST friends (and never anything else) with guys who I'm definitely not physically attracted to. Also, it's helped that I've only been single for about 3 months total since 2004, so I don't have to turn down guy friends who fall for me (I can just say, "sorry - You know I have a boyfriend" - and their egos/our friendship is safe).
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i can't speak to this in "general"

but i KNOW beyond any shadow of doubt...that i cannot be just friends....i can behave myself if need be and at the request of the other party....but i'm far too sexual to be "just friends"
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Well, as it turns out, women like to think it's possible, men know it isn't

Check the video

http://youtu.be/T_lh5fR4DMA

Here's the second part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYQmqxQgEBY
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that you never see a guy ask this question.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that you never see a guy ask this question.
    yup
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    hell...there are people on here....3 to be exact....that i'm just internet friends with....no implication of anything ever...but if they were on my doorstep....they wouldn't have to ask twice....lol
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have been.. I think... but .. = )