30 Days Shred is not for obese people?

Options
I just start 30 Days Shred. It. Is. Damn. Hard.

I'm 100 lbs overweight, so I'm consider as obese. Seems like there's no workout video out there for people who have alot to lose.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I just start 30 Days Shred. It. Is. Damn. Hard.

I'm 100 lbs overweight, so I'm consider as obese. Seems like there's no workout video out there for people who have alot to lose.

regarding the threads question......Im sure that video and all exercise videos warn that you should get a physical or a doctors opinion if your body can handle the exercise first,,,,its a good idea anyway to have all your information...(bp, thyroid, etc)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    There's been a lot of people in the "success" thread who have done the shred who started off obese. I started the shred at 215lb (clinically obese). I was going to the gym 3x a week beforehand (January to April) and got to the last week of c25k.
    It may not be anything to do with being "obese" but general levels of fitness. If you're not strong enough to handle the exercises, maybe go build up some muscle by walking and doing some more controlled strength work with weights instead of bodyweight? I'm on week three of the 30DS and I can literally only JUST do "proper" push ups... Holding your own bodyweight at over 200lb is HARD.
  • Keenasgettingfitnhealthy
    Options
    Its supposed to be hard. =) It gets slightly easier toward the last few days then it gets hard all over again. Losing weight and exercising is not easy so just do what you can. Good luck!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me the first couple of days and I'm in a normal weight range. If I were you, I would definitely talk to your doctor before starting an exercise program.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred, at level 1 is easily attainable for someone 100lbs over-weight. Will you be able to keep up? Probably not, but you go at your own pace, press pause, take a break when you need it.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    C'mon now you can do it! You might not be as inshape as the ladies in the video, but you can still progress at your own rate. You will be surprised at what you can do if you challenge yourself!

I started at 200 with this one. I'd consider that obese!
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I started out needing to loose 70 lbs-- In the beginning all I did was walk. I started doing 20' every day then 30' then I went for distance (since I couldn't do speed) and would do 5K. I lost about 25 lbs this way. I am now at 37 lbs lost and am just starting to introduce more exertive workouts. My next goal is to run a mile w/out stopping. My point is that just b/c it's hard doesn't mean you can't loose weight. Start slowly. Just doing something is better than nothing. Push yourself everyday, and you will see progress. Only measure against yourself, and most important- believe in yourself!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I think you've probably thrown yourself in at the deep end. I can do 30-50 minutes on the Wii Fit without problem but I still can't finish 20 minutes of the 30DS. There are plenty of workout plans/DVD's available online that aren't as intense as the 30DS and easily build up your fitness until you're ready to do the shred. :smile:
  • fordgal41
    fordgal41 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    IF you can get your hands on a copy, try a Richard Simmons workout.... it's very fun even though the music is completely dated! They have overweight people doing the workout on the video as well as thinner people.

You might want to give Turbo Jam a try. I used it when I was over 230 and it worked for me. With any workout, just pace yourself.... IT'S OK TO MODIFY!! You are still getting a great workout.

Good luck!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    my first time trying the 30 day shred I made it 4 minutes into the workout, the next day 6. It took me over a week of doing it everyday to actually make it through. Cursing Jillian Michaels every minute of it, haha, I have to do the easier versions but I can make it all the way through now every time, and believe me, I have plenty to lose!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to do it, take the 5 second breaks that she recommends and do the modified moves. Just do what your body can handle. They are good exercises and will get you fit and strong quickly but there's no point making yourself ill over it. Also don't do it every day. 4 or 5 days a week is fine. Actually 2 or 3 days will give you benefit, especially if you are doing other stuff like walking (great exercise btw!) You will probably find Jillian Michaels DVDs a little easier to do once you have lost some weight but I had 60lb to lose when I did it, although I am relatively fit for an obese person :smile:

Well done for trying it. It IS hard. If you wanted to try something else to start with, I like the Davina McCall DVDs. They are more manageable but they do have a harder option too for when your fitness level increases. Of course check with your doctor too.

Wishing you all the best with your fitness goals :flowerforyou:
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone walk fit dvds.
  • mattmoo33
    mattmoo33 Posts: 36
    Options
    Jillian is hard. I decided to work my fitness levels up using ea sports and the gym before trying it, but I am obese. As other people have said you can do as much of it as you can and it will get easier you just need to keep trying and pushing yourself. I call her every name under the sun whilst doing it but I have really noticed the difference!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me the first couple of days and I'm in a normal weight range. If I were you, I would definitely talk to your doctor before starting an exercise program.

Ditto!!
  • tabethamturner
    Options
    what is the 30 day shred I want to try.....
    since last year I have lost 60lbs but now since I'm working at Head Start and cant focus on it to hard except when I'm home. I'm stuck at 195-200lbs back and forth I go. It is hard for me to eat the way want at my job cause we are not allowed to have outside food we have to sit and eat what the kids are eating. On the other hand the portion control is good because I only eat their portion size, but even at that sometimes the calorie count for one meal is too high for me. I try to stay around 400 cal 10 fat for each meal but sometimes there it reaches almost 600 cal. School is fixing to let out for summer so now I can focus more on healthy foods better. I would like more info on the 30 day shred.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    what is the 30 day shred I want to try.....

It's a dvd by Jillian Michaels!
  • erinscribbles
    erinscribbles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As everyone here has already pointed out. It is supposed to be hard, Jillian herself tells you that it's hard, but you have to keep going if you want results. You don't have to do everything at the same pace as the girls if it's killing you, go at the pace that you can keep going, and push yourself to go a little bit faster the next time. Jillian also tells you that it's okay to take a 5 second break if you need it, but then get right back to it. Perseverance and it will get easier.

The only one slowing you down is you, you have to push yourself to bring yourself up to the level you want. No one can go into a workout video and be able to automatically do it. If they can, that workout video isn't going to do a darn thing for them. It needs to be hard to get results.
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    If it were easy there wouldn't be any point in doing it. Making excuses is how we all got to the point we are at. I started at 280 and I do 30 day shred. Is it hard sometimes.. Absolutely. Do my legs burn.. Absolutely.. Do I feel like quitting sometimes.. You bet but I don't.. If you want the results you have to put in the work. On top of doing 30 day shred I do c25k. Does anyone pay attention to level 1 when Jillian says you're capable of working out and you're capable of working out hard and that she has 400 lb people who can do jumping jacks. I'm not even through the full 30 days yet and I've lost 10 inches.. if its tough do the modified.. Take the short breaks.. But don't give up because you think it's too hard.. Do it daily and watch how much stronger you become.
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    As everyone here has already pointed out. It is supposed to be hard, Jillian herself tells you that it's hard, but you have to keep going if you want results. You don't have to do everything at the same pace as the girls if it's killing you, go at the pace that you can keep going, and push yourself to go a little bit faster the next time. Jillian also tells you that it's okay to take a 5 second break if you need it, but then get right back to it. Perseverance and it will get easier.

The only one slowing you down is you, you have to push yourself to bring yourself up to the level you want. No one can go into a workout video and be able to automatically do it. If they can, that workout video isn't going to do a darn thing for them. It needs to be hard to get results.

Exactly!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i'm obese and then some, i'v done it for 30 days...ok so i sounded like i was being slowly & painfully murdered the first day but done it all the way through. stuck to level one as i thought it pushed me enough, now have 3 more of her dvd's too. if you physically can't carry on, stop and count to 5 like she suggests and carry on, believe me, it gets easier! you can totally do it :flowerforyou: