Something great about your mom...

Options

Replies

• OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    My mom never ceases to amaze me with her commitment to try new things. She delights in everyone and everywhere she travels. I have never met another person in the world who has as many friends and who loves life so much. She is so busy and yet she always makes me feel important.

Once I was moving and I was pregnant with my 3rd baby and my two boys were 4 and 1 and I was totally overwhelmed. She called to check up on me and I just cried on the phone. 10 minutes after we hung up she called back and said she got a plane ticket and she'll be at my house to help that night (I live in Oregon and she lives in Rhode Island.) I will never forget how she came so fast when I needed her. I was so surprised and grateful.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    The best thing about my bio Mom is she didnt abort me and left me with my Dad when I was 2 months old. So Happy Mother's Day to her wherever she might be.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I had a wonderful mother in law who was a mother to me. She died 6 years ago and I miss her dearly. Here's to wonderful mother's in law!:)
  • Rohnic
    Rohnic Posts: 82
    Options
    She's my telephone Joker. No matter what, when or why I can always call for her advice.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My mother...hmmmm....she is one of the kindest women you will ever meet...unless you p!ss her off! :) My MIL has a heart of gold! I love them both dearly!!!
  • breakthecycle
    breakthecycle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My Mom is my best friend!! We have had our ups and downs over the years and I never realized how much she sacrificed for us until I became a Mom!! I think one of the best things about my Mom is watching her be the World's Greatest Grandma to my boys!!! I love you Mom!!!!!
  • angellmoore
    angellmoore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My mom is awesome!! When my dad died (I was 14, my bro 11) she raised us and showed us strength when I know she was not strong enough. She never let that show. She has fought her demons and through it all she has loved us the best way she could. Even if I didn't always understand her I have always loved her. She continues to love me unconditionally.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Her generosity.......she is generous with her time and love. While we've always been close, we got closer when she was sick right before her stroke nearly 8 years ago at the age of 61. Since then we speak every day....I haven't missed a day of calling her in those 8 years. And I'm very thankful for her recovery and that she is still here with us!
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My biological grandmother and father abused me and my biological mom didn't want to acknowledge me as being her daughter. Therefore, the woman I call my mom has been the only - and best - mother I could have ever asked for. She knows all my little secrets. But, she still loves me unconditionally. Although she came into my life when I was an adult she has loved and treated me just like her own children for the last 24 years. Sometimes I feel as if we are even closer than her biological kids because we have a chosen bond - I'm actually more like her than her other children. Furthermore, she never judges and is always willing to be there for me - and others - no matter what. I never really knew a real mother's love until she became my "mom" and I am SO very thankful that God gave her to me. I am blessed and am a better person because of her and her love!

What a touching story. I bet she is as thankful for you as you are for her. Kepp enjoying each other :)
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My Mom is the smartest person I know. I always thought she would make the best "phone a friend" if I ever played "Millionaire".
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My mom has been gone for 17 years, she is missed every day. I have 4 sisters and a brother and there was always an extra person in the house when someone needed a little mothering. I always felt special and unique, even with all those people to care for she made time for each of us and and encouraged us told us we were wonderful and can do whatever we set our minds to.
    When I was young and life was getting to tough we would cuddle in her bed and talk about all my small woes and worries, when we were done my world was right again. This happened on a regular bases, so with all my vast childish wisdom I thought the bed was the source of the feel good magic. Once when I needed my problems fixed and she wasn't available to meet my childish needs the second I thought she should I crawled into her bed and waited for my world to right. Yup you got it no magic, thats what I love must about my Mom is the mommy magic.
    Mom I miss you and your magic, but you are always in my heart.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I was born from with water on the brain (Hydrocephalus) and had 5 shunt surgeries in my life which my mom was there for. I was a special needs kid so she pack my back pack the night before school so I would be already. She worked her butt off in factories when I was a kid to support us (both parents worked in factories) and she went to college too. She is very supportive on my weight loss right now and is always giving me advice :) She's the best mom I could ever ask for!!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just caught up with this thread. Great stuff everyone! And to all the lovely moms on here, Happy Mother's Day!!!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    My mum is strong, and recently recovered from a stroke.
    Shes a fighter. :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Despite how much of my past was riddled by innuendos of needing to lose weight, my Mom made me who I am. Ambitious, unique, and a complete package. I love her and no matter how much I get angry at her comments, I know it is from her own insecurity. She does "muscle past" much of the pain brought on by RA and Fibromyalgia, so I try to be as strong as her.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    My mom has been gone over 27 years. I was a child of 18 when she died, and never realized what I would be missing. If I had known, I would have taken more time to be with her, talk with her, and get to know her. I'm pretty much left with very little of her, except from things my sister tells me. I was 16 when she got sick, and she was in and out of hospitals the entire time. I remember begging her to come to my graduation, and she couldn't, and I got mad and hung up on her. My sister told me she cried for 2 days about that. What a rotten shrew I was. If only I had known then what I know now.

The great thing about moms- whether that is a mom someone "adopted" later in life as a mom or grandma raising the grandchild or in your case being a child and not understanding why she could not be there for you - i promise you with every fiber of my being that she does not hold that incident against you and if she could tell you one thing it would be let it go. She understood then and now that you were just sad about her missing a big event in your life but you did not intend to hurt her. When your children are a little older and do some childish act you will understand as well and still love them and just as important, you will know they still love you!! Hugs!!
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    No matter HOW MUCH trouble I'm in as long as I'm telling the truth, she's ALWAYS got my back & will fight tooth & nail for me. I love her!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    My mom is a member of MFP and has only been at it for about a month and a half and has lost 15lbs, so I am very proud of my mother for getting healthy and fit! She rocks! She is also my best friend and has taught me how to be a great mother to my kids!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    My mom was debilitated with mental illness. But she was brilliant and had a great sense of humor. She died last fall but I've missed having a mom for as long as I can remember. Lest anyone be confused: mental health care and the ability of families to secure mental health care for the people they love is beyond backwards in the United States. She died of cancer because of her mental illness. Really, more accurately, the cancer was a complication of the mental illness.

But because of her, I have found my mothering where I could. All you women out there who are important in the lives of children/younger people than you, I really feel like Mother's Day is for you too. My campfire girls leader who gardened and cooked anything and everything and had and used a stand mixer back in 1983. My childless aunts on both sides of the family who loved me no matter what. One is an artist and she nurtured that in me. The other looks exactly like my mom but is 10 years younger. She always always always understood me. My mother-in-law who treats me just like her daughters. She gives great advice and says bad words when we talk about asshats. And gives great counsel.

And my son, my firstborn. In mothering him, I found I could give myself the mothering I missed. And my daughter with whom I can have a mother-daughter relationship.

But it would have been nice to have a functioning mother.
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    my mom is my best friend.