Does anyone have a eat what you want day (BINGE DAY)???

Options

Replies

• bertabird
    bertabird Posts: 52
    Options
    I did at first. Then I realized that I would never get to my original goal of eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. If I did that every week, I would never lose what I want to lose.
    I'm not just talking pounds either. I want to lose the weight, but I also wanted to start losing the bad habits. If I let one little bad habit back into my life, I may give up all together.
    If having a day when you can loosen up the food restrictions works for you, then do so. You are you and nobody else can know what you know about yourself.
    Always enjoy your foods. No matter what it is. If you are going to put it in your mouth, make sure it is something you want. Not what someone else wants.
    Don't overdo it. Don't go crazy. Just live and enjoy. Moderation is a hateful word, but it totally makes sense and is necessary to achieve what you wish to achieve.
  • feliz1
    feliz1 Posts: 29
    Options
    This is a really great question with really great answers. I am taking my journey seriously now and getting down to business and this is a big help. 8)
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I don't believe in "diets" and try not to really make foods off limits. It's too damaging psychologically to think like that. I do have a "free day" which are Sundays but I don't really eat any differently, it's more of a day to take a break from thinking about and logging everything I eat.
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No, for me if I did that it would mess me up for days....I need the structure of the number of calories in order to gauge what I'm eating....
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I tend to crave sugar and carbs, much to my detriment, so my rule is no desserts except Saturdays, holidays, and special occassions. Then, on those days, I still eat reasonably healthy, although that's mostly because, having changed my diet, I have trouble stuffing myself the way I used to.

Basically, that's my reward for eating healthy, and if it slows my weight loss down from 1 lb a week to 0.8 lb a week, I am fine with that.
  • JordanandJacque
    JordanandJacque Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello! Oh yes, I agree that in order to stick to your new eatting habits and lifestyle (not a diet) you need to have SOMETHING to look forward too. My free day is not the same day every week though, usually. I evaluate my week and see what day would be good to have my free day, such as a birthday that week, anniversary, etc. I don't eat too crazy, but I am like you too where I like to back chocolate chip cookies, brownies, etc. for the family. There's nothing like dunking a warm chocolate chip cookie into a cold glass of milk!!
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    I think this can work for some people, and not for others ... so whatever works for you! It is easy to TOTALLY over-indulge and like someone else posted, you really can throw everything off track if you go really overboard. Personally, I allow myself one *treat* a day. So I choose between having some wine at night or having dessert ... or having carbs at breakfast or pasta for dinner ... things like that. It works better for me and I still get to eat whatever I want :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I try to limit those types of treats to a meal or two a week insted of a whole day. I've had the occassional day where I've eaten more than one treat and I end up feeling sick. My digestive system just can't handle it anymore!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't. For me, it goes against what I'm trying to do.
  • JenniLisette
    JenniLisette Posts: 132
    Options
    i eat what i want all the time! i'm more about portion control. .. but one thing i'm in love about i dont hav but once every few months is Cherry Coke..becuase after on sip i seriousily get hung over on it for a wile..so i withdraw completely from it.
  • Ninja_Bunny
    Ninja_Bunny Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just had a binge day at our family's mother day celebration on Saturday and I am still sick from it. My body just doesn't deal well with what I put into it ( i.e. a pound of banana pudding and pasta salad lol) I think they are a good idea in theory if you are able to control yourself, I am not. Good luck :)
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    No! I never allow that.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary. I eat what I want to eat at night for dinner. My breakfast and lunch are the same almost every day.
    I control stuff with portion size, sauces, toppings etc.

I want this to be a lifestyle not a diet, so I cannot feel deprived or it will not last.
    I make pizza and wings, but I will grill the wings instead of frying them. I will peel the skin off then toss them with 2 tbls sauce instead of soaking them in it.

I will make a pizza flatbread raither than a doughy pizza and top it with veggies, so I have the same flavors and textures without the unneccessary calories. I will eat Bison instead of beef burgers, and use sandwich thins for bread instead of rolls.

Find what works for you and go with it.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have days where I go over but I don't binge or eat for the sake of eating. I haven't had a "spike day" for a while but I did spontaneously go 700 calories over on Saturday night due to 2 very sneaky bottles of wine :drinker:
    I haven't stopped eating any foods I like, I just work the rest of the day around them (ie tonight's Chinese ribs)
    You would have to eat 3500 calories over your daily limit to add 1lb of fat so unless you're doing that I'd ignore all the comments about undoing all your weeks hard work. Do what works for you, if you stop losing you know what day to cut back on :happy:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I usually schedule in a couple of cheat meals during the week. A couple of days where I have pastries and coffee for breakfast. 1-2 dinners out with drinks and/or dessert.

But I actually find, that even on the "cheat" meals it isn't too hard to stay in calories. I can't eat that much in one sitting. So the meal might be 100-200 calories over they typical one.

I mostly try to budget it in. And I can never finish my exercise calories anyway, so there are always a couple hundred floating around from the workouts during the week.
  • HanPatty
    HanPatty Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't binge but on the weekends I don't calorie count. It is too much for my busy life and I feel it ruins the weekends and is much harder as we are often eating at peoples houses. I still am careful, so I don't go for that extra slice of cake nor do I have fast food or anything that will derail me, but I don't spend the day feeling guilty that I am not logging and not doing as well than during the week.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    the weekends for us is we get to eat anything we're in the mood for (using portion control of course) I dont even log in the weekends in my food diary. We are more restriced on the weekdays.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have heard several times that it is impossible to undo a good week with one freebie day, but i have done it. So while freebie days are good in theory, i think waiting til later in the process to include is better than doing it in the beginning. The body likes to stay where it is comfortable and it is hard to forget how good those five cheesecakes a day felt. So give your body a new comfortable and you may not even want the freebie day. Working on that!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day in my routine, never have. I tried to not eliminate anything as part of my lifestyle changes, just less of the really calorie heavy things. Everything in moderation. This way I don't end up with terrible cravings, or being unable to control myself when I'm around good stuff.

Another key for me was breaking the emotional attachment with food. I view food as fuel now, not something that makes me happy. I would think having a binge day would re-enforce the emotional attachment, as you'll spend all week looking forward to it.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Its ok to have a cheat day once a week, but don't over do it.