If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Be open to the different exercises mentioned on the board. Switching up your workout can help you from getting bored and losing your motivation.
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    My advice.

DON'T EVER GIVE UP!

I know I won't
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    This. Also, opt to lose 1 pound per week, not more.

I've seen this said before. Can anybody tell me my people recommend this? At that rate, it would take me around 21 months.
    If you have a large amount to lose, it's ok to lose faster.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    A moment on the lips does NOT equal a lifetime on the hips... SO STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    This. Also, opt to lose 1 pound per week, not more.

I've seen this said before. Can anybody tell me my people recommend this? At that rate, it would take me around 21 months.

Because trying to lose more restricts your calories too much. Your body needs more fuel in order to burn fat. Some people jump down my throat for saying this, but I think it's a good way to look at calories: If my toddlers need 1000-1200 calories a day, an adult obviously needs more.

ETA: Jut because you set your goal at losing 1 pound per week, doesn't mean you won't still lose more. Plenty of people can lose 1.5-2 pounds a week while eating a higher amount of calories. Severely restricting calories doesn't always mean success.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Take lots of pictures.

Select an appropriate calorie amount and don't just blindly trust the one MFP gives you. You need to be netting above your BMR.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Oh and for women... don't come here freaking out because you weigh 2 more pounds than you did yesterday. It is not possible to gain 2 pounds of fat in a day. Our weights fluctuate soo much. Stop obsessing over the number on the scale.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Take before pictures AND measurements (I have before pictures... but no measurements, which is my biggest regret!).

Don't get discouraged. Gaining weight occasionally (even on a "perfect" week) is normal and just part of the process.

Don't compare your weight loss with anyone else. Some people lose weight quickly, some people are slow, and some of us (like me) took years to lose the weight. The point is, you are losing.

And most importantly, any change you make in your diet (food intake) should be something you can live with forever. So don't "ban" foods you love. Just learn to eat less of it or eat it less often.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    That weight gain is MUSCLE! Go buy a measuring tape :drinker:
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    The amount of days you log in or your "streak" doesn't matter one bit. Exercising and logging your food consistently does.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Shut up and eat your calories.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Lesson 1
    its a journey not a destination

Lesson 2
    you did not gain it overnight and you won't lose it overnight.

Lesson 3
    If you eat it you own it, or if you bite it then write it

Lesson 4
    Use your brain- calories in calories out (burned) no fads etc.

Lesson 5
    Be honest with yourself, log everything

Lesson 6
    Stop making excuses

Lesson 7
    Make a lot of friends so you feel accountable- they are counting on you to do the right thing

Lesson 8
    DO this for yourself- no one else!!!

Lesson 9
    Make it a lifestyle, not a diet. control portions, nutrients etc.

Lesson 10
    Measure yourself, and weigh your food.

Thats it for now....
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    That weight gain is MUSCLE! Go buy a measuring tape :drinker:

Honestly though, not likely. While I agree a tape measure is important, it is extremely hard to gain muscle at a calorie deficit.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    Steven is great
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    I agree with the before photo's I wish I had more. Luckily a few friends posted some of me on fb, while then I didn't like that they took them and posted them, now i"m tickled pink to be able to say "Look at me now."

I'd also say, search the forum before asking questions, a lot of people on here get very edgy when you repeat a topic. Or it might get avoided. For the love of God please don't mention the HCG diet HA! That might cause you the have your cyber eyes scratched out of your head. Lol, I've seen that on here.

Be sure to get your water in! Water is important for weight loss and building. Our body needs water! Don't give up when things get tough! You didn't gain it over night, you won't lose it over night. Just because you lose 6-10lbs the first week, doesn't mean it'll always be like that, or if you only lose 2lbs the first week, doesn't mean you aren't losing enough. Everyone loses weight differently. Just because someone is the same height as you and weighs close to your target weight, doesn't mean you'll look they do at that weight. Everyone is portioned differently. Everyone loses weight in different places more then other places.

What works for someone else, it might not work for you and just because something didn't work for someone else, doesn't mean it won't work for you. Some people can eat their work out calories back and still lose, other's can't (raises hand, I'm one of them that can't.) 1200 calories is not to little for someone who needs no more then 1200 calories, so don't listen to people that swear that you can't gain muscle on 1200 calories, I'm living proof you can. This goes back to we are all different.

Slow and steady wins the race! The quicker you lose it, the quicker you are likely to gain it. The slower you lose it, the more likely it is to stay off. Been at this for 2 years (off and on) my ways are pretty much set, and my routine is lodged in my head, I don't see me ever going back to that dark place. The race is in front of you, not behind you, so if you fall, don't look back, keep pushing forward!

Lastly, remember it's a commitment, you can't be interested in this, once you lose interest you are back to where you started, if you commit you take no excuses; only results!
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    What about uncle ****y?

Edit - apparently not
    Take all the advice you can get.....with a grain of salt. If it's not from a professional, make sure you do your own research (and not just from one quack source) before taking every Tom, ****, and Harry's advice as gold.

^^^ Ok SERIOUSLY MFP??? I was using that as a NAME not a body part! What if my name was ****?

So Just checking... I cannot talk about my Uncle **** who lost 20 lbs? - That's Hilarious! Poor Uncle ****, his name is banned.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Don't listen to anything on this post, nobody really knows your or your situation. Ask for help then learn how to apply to you. And be selfish, if you're not doing it for you then you're wasting your time.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    There is no fast, quick answer to weight loss and getting fit. It takes time, so all of the 5 day, 10 day, 30 day, etc is all hype. This is a lifestyle change, a journey, not a lose weight fast quick trip.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    If it's just one, it's gotta be this: You can't out exercise a bad diet: Spend your time and recourses getting the proper nutrition before you jump too far into the exercise world. Food Scale > Heart Rate Monitor (have both BTW)

Here's more thoughts on this in a blog post I wrote a while ago: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iplayoutside19/view/i-worked-out-today-i-can-eat-that-63625