If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Options

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Don't let the jerks on the message boards steer you away!

^^ This...and honestly enough said on that one...

Don't get discouraged tweek if needed.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    1. Take progress photos (from several angles) and measurements, the scale SUCKS.
    2. Give yourself a cheat meal, not a cheat day. Maybe more than once a week, even.
    3. Educate yourself about the human body - don't just assume an online tool will give you perfect nutritional standards. (i.e. research BMR, TDEE, etc)
    4. Don't give up, even when you plateau for X months. Trying is better than giving up.
    5. Do whatever exercise you can stick with and enjoy... absolutely try new things, but it's most important to just keep moving.
    6. Many people on the forums are beeyatches, don't take it personally ;)
  • hgaspard83
    hgaspard83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    oh is not good to follow the guidelines ???
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    5. Do whatever exercise you can stick with and enjoy... absolutely try new things, but it's most important to just keep moving.

This.
    No matter how hard it is in the beginning, you will eventually conquer it!
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have patience, this change is not overnight.

Listen to your body, it will tell you when it's time for a snack or to rest for a bit.

Don't feel like you're any less of a person because you may not being burning as many calories as someone else. You need to do what's best for you and your body. It's not a competition out here.

Use your MFP friends for support. I don't personally know anyone I'm friends with on here, but a few of the people I'm friends with are some of my biggest supporters and motivators.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

It's a great place to start, but the recommended amount of calories aren't right for everyone. It takes some experimentation/meetings with nutritionist or other professional/research with HRM/etc. to figure out the optimal range of calories.
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    Stick with it, be patient, and log everything even if you ate a whole bag of doritos...log it to hold yourself accountable. You can do it!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Eat! You don't have to starve to do this. Find your BMR and TDEE, create goals for what you want to achieve (weight loss/fitness) and work your macros to fit. You'll have to adjust along the way. Expect it. Most of all...enjoy the journey! You CAN have a cookie without guilt. Take time to reflect on what you've accomplished each day...the good always outweighs the bad!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

If you were referring to my post, yes, it's important to understand that a general guide designed for hundreds of thousands of people may not actually apply to you. If you're not getting results, try something else. Don't keep quoting the guidelines as if they were infallible. Even MFP has a disclaimer noting that their suggestions won't work for everyone.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ....I'd tell them to take lots of before pictures when starting their new life style. I have a couple, but really regret not having standard one (same clothes, pose, etc.) to see if I can tell the 'then vs. now" differences.

^^ This. I wish I'd started in the beginning with one set of clothes and done progress with the same outfit/pose. I feel like this definitely would've helped during moments of frustration.

That and...

"Diet" is a four letter word. So to speak. :)

Every little bit counts. The smallest changes add up to the biggest moments.

Your journey is not a race. (Unless that's your thing.)
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    To make it sustainable, commit to a healthy lifestyle, not a short term fix. It makes maintenance soo much easier. And also--always have something you are striving for. Even when you are done losing weight, there is always a new fitness challenge around the corner.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It takes as long as it takes. WL does not fit perfectly into a timeline.

And there are plenty of things that taste just as good, if not better, than skinny feels.
  • MikkiMcCoy
    MikkiMcCoy Posts: 45
    Options
    There is no magic pill.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You. Can't. Spot. Reduce.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. EVER. The day you quit is the day you fail.

My boyfriend's sister posted this picture to facebook. I love it!

536390_10150829492406535_508491534_12062557_759032686_n.jpg
  • Lianatalelter
    Options
    Would you say support from other people on MFP is a big help? I saw it mentioned somewhere, but Id rather keep it private from the people I know from day to day life!! And be able to talk to people that know the situation :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You're eventually going to have to break up with or severely limit your time with Cardio.

I'm not there yet, obviously, but I will eventually need to break up with CARDIO? Please tell me why?

Personally, I don't think you have to "break up" with cardio. I train for half marathons and I am never going to break up with cardio, I love running, spinning, etc. But if one is doing ONLY cardio, it's a great idea to ADD strength training and body weight resistance exercises. Doing one won't cancel out the other. :flowerforyou:

what *I* was actually talking about was that you'd have to break up with it (OR SEVERELY LIMIT YOUR TIME WITH IT) for weight loss reasons.

I also run half marathons, 10 milers on the regs - even a 16 or so here and there.

But I dont do it for weight loss. I do it for peace of mind and because I thoroughly enjoy it.

But in what I actually consider my workouts? 15-20 minutes @ 6-7mph and thats it.

Once I stopped believing that I had to log 5-10 hours of cardio a week to lose weight, I actually became happy again, broke an 18 month plateau and I'll never be a cardio *kitten* again. Not to make the scale move.

Never. Again.

*channels Gone with the wind*
  • MikkiMcCoy
    MikkiMcCoy Posts: 45
    Options
    You. Can't. Spot. Reduce.

:heart:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    No person on MFP is going to be able to tell you exactly what is the best way for YOU to lose weight. There's a lot of good information, and a lot of self-righteousness. The former can be helpful, the latter never is.

Take what YOU can use, and leave the rest. And don't ever, ever, ever give up on learning about your own body.

This.

Figure out what works for you and learn more and more. Be selective about all of the advice floating around. Except for the success stories, take it all in, in the future it will be you! And me :wink:

^ both of these people are trying to trick you already. this is advice. dont fall for it!!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    dont expect overnight results. You didn't put on x number of pounds in a week, don't expect it to come off in a week. And don't get bent out of shape when weight loss slows or stops for a time. Stay positive, stay patient, and keep doing what you're doing to make yourself a little healthier every day. Its a marathon, and sometimes detours happen. Keep on truckin'.