What are the food staples you buy at the grocery store?

Options

Replies

• The_new_Amy
    The_new_Amy Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm actually working hard at eliminating the grocery store from my life, my food shopping consists of;

Organic beef from a local farm, purchased at the farmer's market

Organic eggs from a local farm, purchased at the farmer's market

Fresh fruits and veggie at the farmer's market (not a lot currently in season here in Michigan)

My CSA starts next week and I'll be getting a weekly box of all kinds of organic produce (greens, berries, broccoli, apples, herbs, melons, squashes of all varities)

I buy non homogonized, vat pasturized milk and butter from a local dairy, the closest thing as straight from the cow you can legally get here in Michigan and yes, that means it's full fat but I don't drink milk so it's only consumed in cooking and I believe it's much healthier in it's least processed state.

I buy raw honey at the farmer's market, used for sore throats and to slightly sweeten tea and in cooking

I order raw milk cheeses from a local co op and sometimes find them at the farmer's market

At the actual store, I buy

Almond milk
    Raw Almonds (Trader Joe's Just a handful bags are awesome for grab and go and not expensive)
    Canned tuna
    Tilapia
    Salmon
    Organic, air chilled chicken breasts
    Fresh veggies I can't get at the farmer's market or through my CSA yet. (lots of spinach and kale for smoothies)
    Steel cut oats
    Lemons (for water and green smoothies)
    Mint (for water and green smoothies)
    Plain greek yogurt
    Almond Butter
    Coconut Oil for cooking and health and beauty needs.
    Olive Oil

I don't eat bread, but the kids do so I buy them organic 100% whole wheat bread
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to skinnytaste.com, lots of great healthy meals options, snacks, desserts, etc. She includes the nutrition information along with pictures of everything.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    GOOD bread, not that crappy iron kids white bread or whatever. I like to splurge on a gorgeous loaf of sunflower honey wheat bread for 3 bucks. It's my guilty pleasure, plus I can make homemade croutons with any extras. Delicious carbs... D:
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Unsweetened Almond Milk
    Bread
    Peanut butter
    Frozen chicken breast
    Frozen fish
    Tons of veggies
    Bananas
    Grapes
    Apples
    Greek yogurt
    Steel cut oats
    Granola
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You all are amazing. I took the advice of several posters and culled together some recipes for the next several days. Thanks for all your responses and the private messages. You were all really helpful!
  • fatforthewin
    Options
    Hiya! Sure this is a bit late but will post anyway - I like this topic :)

I'm a low-carber so there's the backstory for you!

1. Coffee (absolutely CANNOT live without.)
    2. Sweetener (also CANNOT live without)
    3. Crystal-Light or similar
    4. Eggs (grass-fed chickens if possible)
    5. Butter (unsalted from grass-fed, not heavily-injected cattle)
    6. Almond milk (unsweetened but vanilla-flavored, Silk brand)
    7. Heavy cream (if $$ allows)
    8. Veggies/Fruits: broccoli, spinach (big bag of baby spinach leaves), baby carrots (for snacks), bell peppers/banana peppers, cucumbers, avocados, pumpkin, mushrooms, tomatoes
    9. Pesto sauce, white alfredo sauce
    10. Tofu
    11. Cheeses (all sorts, especially parmesan and provologne)
    12. Fish (salmon, tuna)
    13. Cold-cuts
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to try to look for healthy options to what you currently eat. There are healthier frozen pizza, not red baron, leaner hamburgers, healthier sweet potato french fries (make your own), and more delicious less healthy desserts, skinny cow ice cream is delicious. Trial and error.

Agreed! Substitution has been key for me. Personally, I can't completely ban certain foods (kudos to those who can)- I end up unhappy and binging on them later- but I've been successful so far (21 lbs down) with substituting and moderation. Low-fat cheese instead of regular (Fresh & Easy, if there's one near you, has an amazing 2% string cheese). Cooking spray instead of only olive oil (some olive oil is okay, just not a ton of it). Ground turkey instead of ground beef. You can probably use a lot of the same recipes you used before, just using low-fat, non-fat, and light ingredients instead.

Shrimp and bay scallops are good too- they are small, quick to cook, and low-cal so it feels like you're eating a lot for not many calories! I saute a pound of them in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and lots of garlic (add any herbs you like, or lemon and pepper). That, with plenty of grilled or pan-cooked (with olive oil flavored cooking spray, pepper, and herbs) veggies makes a great dinner for two.

Also, some snacks I like (when I want something other than fruit or veggies): 94% fat-free popcorn (butter or kettle-corn flavored...I get mini 130-cal bags); Apples with reduced fat peanut butter; Light string cheese. Skinny Cow anything.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Some of the stuff I nearly always keep in the house:

Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Almonds
    Bell peppers
    Mushrooms
    Black beans
    Baby Spinach
    Baby bok choy
    Cucumber
    Olive oil
    Avocado
    Fresh garlic
    Fresh ginger
    Cilantro
    Low sodium soy sauce
    Chicken (to eat and to make chicken stock with)
    Glass noodles (made from bean starch instead of wheat)
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    A few things I usually keep on hand for when the sweet tooth kicks in, are fiber one brownies, skinny cow ice cream treats, and/or edys sugar-free real fruit popsicles.

I keep Edy's frozen fruit bars (lime!) for my sweet tooth!
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    Quinoa is actually great to eat in place of oatmeal. You can cook it using the same types of flavorings. I use vanilla almond milk and cinnamon when cooking it for breakfast.

When cooking quinoa for a dinner side, or to use in salads (you can sub it into tabouleh!), I cook it in chicken stock rather than water.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Lately I pick up a container of baby spinach a couple of times a week. It goes into smoothies, into salads, into scrambled eggs, into nearly everything! Love it!
  • viviennemayer
    Options
    The only real staples for me are frozen veggies and fruit.Whole grain and wheat products/flour since you can make your own.I'm finding going to the market more often for fresh is better for my plan if feasable.
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Quick oats. If I was only allowed to buy one thing at the grocery store for the whole week, it'd be oatmeal!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    chicken breasts or tenders (whichever's cheaper)
    1 minute quick oats (not instant) oatmeal
    whole wheat and corn tortillas
    shredded sharp cheddar cheese (full fat, don't like how the lower fat versions taste/cook)
    brown rice
    eggs
    ground turkey
    canned black or pinto beans
    tuna fish
    skim milk
    greek yogurt
    spinach, romaine salad mix and various veggies to throw salads together (cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, snap peas, shredded carrots, radishes etc)
    frozen veggies
    frozen fish filets
    protein bars
    almonds/walnuts/craisins
    strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, grapes if on sale
    bananas

You could make a great stir fry with some cut up chicken, frozen or fresh veggies, and a little ginger and other spices...

Now I am really hungry! LOL
  • kewpiepie
    kewpiepie Posts: 4
    Options
    Baby Spinach
    Avocados
    Brown Rice
    Hummus
    Low calorie tortilla wraps
    Eggs
    Lots of oatmeal
    Various teas and herbals
    Soya Milk
    Almond Milk
    Lots and lots of broccoli (frozen and fresh)
    Tomatoes
    Tons of fruit - especially bananas
    No sugar cranberry juice
    lean pork, turkey, chicken...
    A box of low cal cake slices every two weeks. :wink:

I also like to keep plenty of fresh herbs and spices to hand to liven things up.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Normally this depends on what is on sale at the time:

chicken ( I make a bunch up ahead of time for convenient protein for salads or snacks)
    ground turkey
    lean beef
    tuna
    salmon
    tilapia

sharp cheddar
    yogurt
    butter
    milk
    coffee creamer or half n half
    eggs
    egg whites

bagged lettuce/spinach
    tomatoes
    potatoes
    broccoli
    squash
    frozen veggies
    bananas
    oranges
    apples
    pears
    berries (frozen or fresh)
    grapes
    avocados

bread

cocoa roast almonds
    cashews
    yasso frozen yogurt bars
    dano nino yogurts (they make good popsicles for the kids)
    peanut butter natural & no sugar
    whole wheat flour
    oats
    mrs dash spices
    pre minced garlic
    cinnamon
    unsweetened apple sauce
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    strawberries, oranges, broccoli, yambean, cucumber, vegetable pears, tuna, panela cheese, plain yogurt, eggs, turkey ham.. Thats like my top 10, I might buy something else if I see it and I like it.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Spinach, bananas, peanut butter, unsweetened almond milk, chicken breasts, fresh fruits, hummus
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ezekial bread
    Arnold sandwich thins
    eggs
    chicken
    salmon
    deli turkey
    grassfed beef
    cheese
    mixed greens
    grape tomatoes
    cucumber
    whole wheat pasta
    avocado or wholly guacamole
    zuchini/yellow squash
    frozen veggies
    greek yogurt
    honey
    peanut butter
    oatmeal
    fruit - a few of these each week (banana, apple, pear, grapes, strawberry, blueberry, kiwi, pineapple, mango)

These are the basics, but we eat a variety of foods... so there are a lot of other items most weeks, but these are EVERY week.
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods:

Okios Plain Greek Yogurt
    Granola (low cal, I put it in my yogurt)
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Deli turkey (Fresh Farms organic)
    Baby Carrots (35 cal per pack)
    Strawberries, Bananas, Blueberries, Avacados
    Green Onions, Mushrooms
    Salad Greens (I like the Organic Baby Romain)
    White Cheddar Popcorn (Indiana All Natural - 150 cal for 2.5 cups)
    Eggs
    Goat Cheese Crumbles

Stop & Shop:

Ultra Thin Cheddar/Swiss Cheese Slices (Sorento, 45 cal per slice)
    Caffiene-free Diet Coke (bad, I know, but it helps me not drink alcohol in the evenings)
    100 calorie Right Bites Cookies

Things I have on hand and use all the time:

Dijon mustard
    Honey
    Light Ranch Dressing (80 cal for 2 TBS)
    Lite Hershey's Syrup (45 cal for 2 TBS)
    Honey Dew Coffee
    Silk (either soy or almond- almond is fewer calories and really good in iced coffees!)

Then I usually buy meat/fish every other day- what ever looks good from the whole foods meat/seafood counter.

What a great thread! I'm getting loads of ideas!