Would you run a race knowing you would finish last?

Options

Replies

• firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You've just described my entire middle and high school career, plus numerous 10ks since then, and I even went on the track team in middle school. I'm the world's worst runner, and yet I keep running (if you can call it that!).
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    yes, i would just need to finish
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Honestly? YES! (then I would log my time and make sure next time I beat myself)
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    Sure, as long as I gave it my best and I met my goals. What if I was running against the US Olympic team? then I would know how I really compare.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I finished as the last male runner in my last 10k. BUT, I finished it 7.5 minutes faster than my previous one. And I'd do it again.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Honestly? No.

I could give a rip about winning or losing, but I hate being the center of attention and the idea of being that last person that all the staff is waiting on, and not crossing the finish line in a crowd of people... no.

On the other hand, I probably wouldn't care to win a race for the same reason. I just wanna blend in with the herd!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    My first Warrior Dash, out of 7000 people I was in the bottom 100. I was very big and out of shape and so effin pumped to just say I was a mother f*cking Warrior. It's about setting a goal and completing it. Period.
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    I would walk the heck out of that race ('cause I'm a walker) and I'd be proud because I would finish it!
  • brodymix1
    brodymix1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Absolutely! I did my first Duathlon last fall, knowing full well I would be at the back of the pack. My goal was to not finish last, and I didn't--I finished before 4 other people! But it felt so great to actually do it, even at my hefty size. I also found it easier to work out when I had something to work towards. Go for it!!!! You can do it!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes. I fully expect to come in last in next month's Spartan Race - but as many people have stated above, I am running the race for me and to finish will be winning.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    yes
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If I'm being honest...NO way.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • AngieCook09
    AngieCook09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I have.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yes i would just to prove to myself i can do it!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Better to run the race and come in last than to not run the race....that sounds all proverbial and *kitten*, but I believe it 100%. It's about being a better you, and if you happen to be better than anyone else, that's just a bonus.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    yep and i have several times. I run for myself and the accomplishment of finishing. The only person I "race" is myself, working towards having a better personal time on each go. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't, but I know I go out running to the best of my ability.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yes, no problem. I would be satisfied that I did it. And know that each time I really put my effort and focus into my activity I get better. I do it for myself not others.

By the way if I did run a race I probably would come in last!
  • Yaunna
    Yaunna Posts: 3
    Options
    Sure would. My goal is to finish. I would be proud of that. It also gives you something to aim for on your next race.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    No.

I'm too competitive for that. Personally, it would be a waste of my money.
    ...but in RL, I don't think I'd ever be in that situation honestly.