Would you run a race knowing you would finish last?

Options

Replies

• MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Of course! You could surprise yourself and not be last, you give yourself a starting point so you know what you want to beat next time, you often get free stuff like t-shirts etc, and even if you do come in last, you still did better than all those people who did not even participate.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Would I play in a PGA Tour event knowing I would not qualify?
    You betcha.
    My name would be at the bottom of the column.
    But it would be there.
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. You may be the last to finish the race but you finished. A lot more than the people who never even tried can say.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Absolutely- I'm just racing me and my personal best times... I can't control what others do, so I don't worry about them. As long as I did my best I am happy!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    This woman took 16 days to finish a marathon, granted she was paralyzed and wearing a bionic suit, but she finished.

http://news.yahoo.com/paralyzed-woman-bionic-suit-runs-marathon-235239906.html
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yup. In fact I am so slow that I actually surprised when I don't finish last! As long as I run the whole race, that is a victory to me.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yep. As long as there was enough runners and/or markings on the course that I didn't get lost!! Who cares how fast everyone else is!! BTW I have run a race with someone very special and we DID come in very close to last!! We STILL had a great time!! :D
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Yep. My very first 10km race, I stood at the starting line, looked at the others and knew I would finish last. I didn't care, I just wanted to finish, run the whole way and celebrate my first 10km race! It was an awesome sense of pride, achievement and motivation. I loved that day!!!

Anyway, what's the difference in finishing last or competing in a race with hundreds or thousands of people and knowing you're at the back end anyway? Someone's got to come last across the line, but in my mind, they who crossed the line are not losers at all - they are the winners who achieved.

There's alot to be said about trying, and archiveing.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    YES!
    I did it, I did not know at the time I would be dead last.
    I was so happy that I did it, it was worth it anyway
    someone has to be last, so it is OK if it's me
    Now with the 5K and 10K events come up my friends
    say: we need someone to come in last shall we reserve that position for you?
    I say YES
  • SkinnyTopher
    Options
    Yes, though I would probably walk it, if my goal was to be healthy.

If my goal was to somehow place ahead in the race, and needlessly boost my ego, then no. I would do something else that made me feel superior. But my ego is healthy and I don't need to do that, lol.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    yes because i would be happy where ever i finish
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm not going to lie...I did my first 5k a year ago..I knew it was going to be bad..I came in last,but you know what-I'm proud to say I've COMPLETED a 5k..and I still did it in under an hour..

Oh and the medic golf cart brought me in with the flashing lights and sirens..so its all good..
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    No.

I'm too competitive for that. Personally, it would be a waste of my money.
    ...but in RL, I don't think I'd ever be in that situation honestly.

Bad *kitten*
  • hiker_girl
    hiker_girl Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes I would. because then Id keep running so that next time i ran it i could beat my time. No matter how good you are some one always has to come in last and if you know its you why not at least give it a shoot you might surprise your self.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yep, if I did my best, so be it!! :)
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    just knowing i would finish ..then yes ..
    run / walk doesn't matter .. time doesn't matter

i finished - matters :drinker:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Yes, though I would probably walk it, if my goal was to be healthy.

If my goal was to somehow place ahead in the race, and needlessly boost my ego, then no. I would do something else that made me feel superior. But my ego is healthy and I don't need to do that, lol.
    Yea you are right.... anyway I get my ego boost from lifting heavier than some guys :devil:
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sure. You'll come in way ahead of all the people sitting home on their a$$es. Remember, there are only a handful of people in any race that will "win" (ie overall or within their age groups). The rest of the hundreds (or thousands) are there for their own personal reasons. Your reasons are as good as anybody else's.

Just make sure you know what the course time limits are. You don't want to be forced into a sweep vehicle when you're still going strong!!!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no. I'm a middle of the pack kind of person - no pressure to finish first or last that way. LOL!
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Yes!! Every time I run a new distance, I think I going to be last. When I get to the race I check out the "competition" and sometimes I am sure I am going to be last. But, it hasn't happened yet. It's not that big of a deal to me. Someone has to be last. It's all about progress and not perfection!