HELP!!! or i am leaving

Options

Replies

• marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i would suggest trying out the paleo diet if you are weight training. its mainly lean meats and veggies and no breads, oats, processed foods.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Seriously Brechin89???? Please do some research before you post nonsense... Women Can NOT get bulky lifting Heavy weights... Their body does NOT allow it... They do NOT produce enough testosterone like a man's body.

The ONLY way they can is if they are taking drugs.

Stop with the false infomation.... Or Provide facts!

maybe your definition of a bulky woman is different than mine...

Here is an example of a woman bulking

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/hilary-swank/pictures/hilary-swank-picture-1.jpg

to this

http://munfitnessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/hilary-swank-resting-million-dollar-baby-maggie-fitzgerald.jpg

So please don't tell me woman can't bulk its obvious hillary bulked up...

Woman may not have testosterone levels that we have and why they can't bulk as fast or as good as us. But thier are woman body builders too...

rolls eyes!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Leave

lol.

Go to a nutritionist or a trainer who knows what they're doing. None of us here (that I've seen) are actual professionals. You're better off asking them than a forum.

Both are good to consult however a dietitian may be the very best person to meet with.

=]
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Seriously Brechin89???? Please do some research before you post nonsense... Women Can NOT get bulky lifting Heavy weights... Their body does NOT allow it... They do NOT produce enough testosterone like a man's body.

The ONLY way they can is if they are taking drugs.

Stop with the false infomation.... Or Provide facts!

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/hilary-swank/pictures/hilary-swank-picture-1.jpg

to this

http://munfitnessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/hilary-swank-resting-million-dollar-baby-maggie-fitzgerald.jpg

Woman may not have testosterone levels that we have and why they can't bulk as fast or as good as us. But thier are woman body builders too...

Wow .... just wow... When was the last time you had your eyes checked??

(if i knew how to insert a pic, Shedoos triple face palm from the stooges would be here)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i have been at this for months!!! when i started cutting i stayed at 2000 cals for about 2months nothing happened so i dropped down to 1900. nothing was really going on after that for a month so i dropped down to 1800. i have been at 1800 no bread, way less sugar and more complex carbs for only about 2 weeks now

You can't cut at 1800-1900 calories...unless you're working out a LOT. And it really has nothing to do with not eating bread, etc.. It is calories in vs calories out. Also, are you weighing every single bite you put into your mouth?

i weigh and measure everything!! and track everything.... i gained 1lb a week at 2400 cals i should lose at 1800 cals. i burn around 300 cals a day(i usually only eat back some exercise cals. netting me at around 1600. my BMR is 1485 and my TDEE is around 2800

sounds like your numbers are wrong somewhere.

If your TDEE is 2800, that is your maintenance cals, so you should have to eat ABOVE this to gain.
    gaining @ 2400 suggests your TDEE is lower than 2400, which will then affect the amount you need to eat to lose.

ETA - just noticed ACG & eric said this already, oops!
  • ghsamia
    ghsamia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When you set up your MFP accout and chose your goals, did you allow MFP to give you a daily calorie allocation? I am much older than you, but was in a similar situation prior to November. I was exercising 7 days a week, but I could not get below 135 lbs. I am only 5'5". With that being said, I went with the calories MFP recommended and continued working out. I stay between 115-118 now, which is lower than it has been in 20 years, and I am 46. If you have already done this, have you considered having your thyroid checked? I have a friend that competes in triathalons, so she works out a lot and eats healthy, yet she was gaining weight. It was her thyroid. Something to consider. Keep us posted. We are all here to help and encourage one another.:smile:
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Here is my best advice...

NO MORE HEAVY WEIGHTS!!!! Woman don't look good bulky in my opinion... Thats exactly whats going to happen if you keep lifting heavy and eating more than your burning. I would suggest circuit training and plyometics for your exercises. No weights needed, just do a google search on different body weight exercises.

So wrong... Nothing wrong with lifting Heavy for women... A womens body will NOT let itself get bulky like a man's body from lifting Heavy. Unless they are using drugs to help. Come up with better advice

Thank you!! I read that part and was going to have to comment as well.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Haha. You are joking right?

to this

• sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i am 25yrs old, mother of two (5 and 6). i am 5'7 and as of today weigh 148.8lbs. after being here for a while i decided i didnt want to just be skinny i wanted muscles. i went for a bulk/cut cycle. BIG MISTAKE!!! i bulked for 4months gaining 15lbs and 12 total inches. i bulked on 2400cals lifting heavy full body 3x a week/cardio 3x a week. then i started cutting. i dropped down to 2000cals and contuined my workouts. i wasnt losing so i dropped down to 1900 cals. still hardly a thing happened. i went on vacation to costa rica. april 9th for 10days. (weighed about 147) and couldnt work out (did alot of activities and walking though) and i piged out(no computer or phone= no logging) it was well worth it and i had a blast. got back home lowered my cals to about 1500 for a week to help make up for eating so much, then settled at 1800 cals. still doing my exericse routine. for almost two weeks now i have altered my diet by cutting out bread(i ate at least 2x a day) and replacing it with more complex carbs such as brown rice and oats. i started monitering my sugar ( i was ALWAYS over) and make sure i stay under 35grams a day. i aim for 180-200 grams of protein sometimes i even get in more. all i drink is water and my diet has been well under control since i got back. I am now back up to 148.8lbs and have only lost 2inches from my waist(at my bellybutton). What am i doing wrong???!!!!!

I have tried eating more, eating less, eating more protien, eating more clean, giving up foods, lifting more, running more, intervals, and still nothing. i have heard to get the toned, muscular look i want (goal is my profile pic) that i need to eat very low carb. i tried this for a day and i was hungry and super super super tired all day. i have seen others on here doing what i do and eating 12 pieces of bread a day and look like i want to......i just dont get what i am doing wrong and why nothing works for me. before i started on this sitei weighed 130lbs and ate whatever, whenever i wanted.

For a accurate answer, tell us what your workout routine is. What is your calorie deficit?

You want to be slim and toned. The "dream body" that it seems every woman wants.

NO MORE HEAVY WEIGHTS!!!! Woman don't look good bulky in my opinion... Thats exactly whats going to happen if you keep lifting heavy and eating more than your burning. I would suggest circuit training and plyometics for your exercises. No weights needed, just do a google search on different body weight exercises.

Or just do p90x or insanity, when you do it, commit to it don't cheat yourself don't half *kitten* it... Just do it and get it out of the way. Once you mastered p90x pick up a different routine like the 300 workout...

Most important part is diet... Just watch your calories... I wouldn't go over 1400 if I were you. Take a dietary supplement to help with the food cravings, water also helps.

it takes more than heavy lifting for a woman to get bulky.... probably one of the hardest things for a woman to achieve IMO
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options

So wrong... Nothing wrong with lifting Heavy for women... A womens body will NOT let itself get bulky like a man's body from lifting Heavy. Unless they are using drugs to help. Come up with better advice

exactly
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    More or less, your body is always trying to reach equilibrium. All these drastic changes between eating more/less affect your overall metabolism. Think of the Demand/Supply curve you might have seen in an economics class.

So your overall goal is to increase your metabolism to burn more... but if you feed it less calories, it will respond in the opposite direction by burning slower and storing calories as fat. If you eat MORE then your metabolism responds by burning more and your exercise contributes to this by building muscles, which in turn burns more calories. You're MOVING your equilibirum. You may gain weight during this period but if you're doing everything right, it will be the right kind of weight (muscles).

Even if your weight remains the same, look for non-scale victories to tell you that you're becoming more fit. My weight has been the same for MONTHS now. But I look better in my clothes. I've run out of holes on my belt... on the other end. Etc.

But don't give up. Don't look at the scale all the time. And look for people on MFP to cheer you on. You can count me among them. Best of luck on whatever you decide.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    i am 25yrs old, mother of two (5 and 6). i am 5'7 and as of today weigh 148.8lbs. after being here for a while i decided i didnt want to just be skinny i wanted muscles. i went for a bulk/cut cycle. BIG MISTAKE!!! i bulked for 4months gaining 15lbs and 12 total inches. i bulked on 2400cals lifting heavy full body 3x a week/cardio 3x a week. then i started cutting. i dropped down to 2000cals and contuined my workouts. i wasnt losing so i dropped down to 1900 cals. still hardly a thing happened. i went on vacation to costa rica. april 9th for 10days. (weighed about 147) and couldnt work out (did alot of activities and walking though) and i piged out(no computer or phone= no logging) it was well worth it and i had a blast. got back home lowered my cals to about 1500 for a week to help make up for eating so much, then settled at 1800 cals. still doing my exericse routine. for almost two weeks now i have altered my diet by cutting out bread(i ate at least 2x a day) and replacing it with more complex carbs such as brown rice and oats. i started monitering my sugar ( i was ALWAYS over) and make sure i stay under 35grams a day. i aim for 180-200 grams of protein sometimes i even get in more. all i drink is water and my diet has been well under control since i got back. I am now back up to 148.8lbs and have only lost 2inches from my waist(at my bellybutton). What am i doing wrong???!!!!!

I have tried eating more, eating less, eating more protien, eating more clean, giving up foods, lifting more, running more, intervals, and still nothing. i have heard to get the toned, muscular look i want (goal is my profile pic) that i need to eat very low carb. i tried this for a day and i was hungry and super super super tired all day. i have seen others on here doing what i do and eating 12 pieces of bread a day and look like i want to......i just dont get what i am doing wrong and why nothing works for me. before i started on this sitei weighed 130lbs and ate whatever, whenever i wanted.

For a accurate answer, tell us what your workout routine is. What is your calorie deficit?

You want to be slim and toned. The "dream body" that it seems every woman wants.

Or just do p90x or insanity, when you do it, commit to it don't cheat yourself don't half *kitten* it... Just do it and get it out of the way. Once you mastered p90x pick up a different routine like the 300 workout...

Most important part is diet... Just watch your calories... I wouldn't go over 1400 if I were you. Take a dietary supplement to help with the food cravings, water also helps.

Agreed with mostly everything except the "no more heavy weights". That's just ignorant. But your point about lifting heavy and eating more than you're burning is correct.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options

Not to hijack this- but her lifting "heavy" isn't going to cause her to bulk. Women cannot bulk up like men unless they are on something because we don't have enough testosterone. She wasn't asking for a different exercise plan, she was asking about what her cal intake/ food make up should be to help her in her cutting phase.

I agree with what one of the other guys mentioned- you are probably eating too much for trying to lose, so cut down your calorie intake while still maintaining the same level of exercise you are doing and see if that helps out.

Sorry but uh yes woman can bulk... All human bodies pretty much work the same. Muscle breaks down from exercise, you eat, muscle repairs itself... You may not be able to bulk like us but you can bulk....

well if bulky means I'll look like this then - HELL YEAH!!!! I want to get bulky - bring on the weights

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Jamie+Eason&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvnsoe&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4GmyT4iJFoyU8gOp-9DLCQ&ved=0CG0QsAQ&biw=1396&bih=866
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Lol @ the guy advocating stopping doing heavy weights.

Just killed all your credibility here dude. I suggest doing a little reading...

NROLFW has it summed up nicely.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you might be changing it up too often? Allow time for consistency to fully mature?

like- stick with 1800-2000 for a little while longer and then try switching it up again after a few weeks?

vacation can wreak havoc on your metabolism jsut with the different sleep/eat/work/play schedule I think.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options

Stronglifts 5x5 here for 3 weeks and following leangains.co.uk fasting and my work trousers are nearly falling off me - much movement on the scale - nope!!! but is TOM and do I care - NO!!!!!! cause I need new work trousers :D
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    For those people that claim lifting heavy weights is forcing you to gain weight, bah humbug. It takes years of heavy lifting for several hours a day AND a high calorie diet to gain the kind of mass that will be perceived as "bulky." It's a lot of dedication.

Most of the immediate bulging that takes place in "amateur" muscles is water for healing and recovery. You can count this as good weight. Go for a poundage that's enough to keep your heart rate up during your exercise.

Here's a more useful article about plateauing:
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Well, you said your goal was to gain mass, you did. You spent 4 months trying to put on weight and lived the life of gluttony it sounds like. "white bread twice a day" and "pigged out". Well, 2 weeks isn't going to cut it. Try spending that same 4 months busting your *kitten* on cardio, doing twice as much as you think you need, and working weights in to maintain (mid rep, same intensity, less weight), and eating clean for that full 4 months at a moderate level (less than you're burning). At that point, come back if no results.

My frustration here lies in that fact that someone who understands a 4 month "bulk phase" most likely understands a "cut phase" isn't going to take root in 2 weeks. In short, being the guy I am, it sounds like an excuse to eat your *kitten* off, and then looking to rationalize a way into an easy fix - which isn't gonna happen.

totally agree with this statement.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Completely agreed!!!!