Ladies, Hair washing

Options

Replies

• Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I wash it every day that I work out so 4-5 days a week. Dry Shampoo shows on my hair because it's dark.

I have dark hair as well. There are now some great dry shampoo's that are clear and don't leave behind a white residue. I know Bumble & Bumble makes one and I have used one by Oscar Biondi. I only have to wash my hair once a week and use the dry shampoo for the last two to three days. I always get compliments on how healthy my hair looks, even my hairdresser comments on it and can't believe that I go that long between washes.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    wash my hair every other day, dry shampoo between.

dry shampoo, oxy pads and moisturizer - my holy gym bag trinity
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I very thoroughly rinse my hair and scalp every morning in the shower, because my hair type thrives on moisture and oil. This takes care of the sweat from working out and keeps my natural oils intact. I "co-wash" once a week with a conditioner, and shampoo with a sulfate-free shampoo every two weeks.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair twice a day during the week. Before work and after the gym after work. I condition it well each time I wash it, so my hair doesn't get dried out. I have very fine, thick hair and I have to wash it every day. Then I sweat like crazy at the gym, so I have to wash it after I finish working out.
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What most people don't realize is that the more you wash your hair the more oily it will get!! When your constantly stripping your hair of its natural oils it increases the amount produced, therefore resulting in your oily hair! As hard as it might sound, try not washing your hair as much for awhile and I'll bet anything you'll begin to produce less oil.

Yeah, but this only applies to certain hair types. Some hair types do GREAT with extra oils.
  • batgreen
    batgreen Posts: 66
    Options
    I always work out at night so I generally wait to wash my hair until morning.
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I usually run every other day and thats when I wash my hair. I agree with everyone else on the dry shampoo. My favorite is Rock Star by Bed head.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! So funny you brought this up. I was thinking that i might cut a lot off of my hair. It is very thick, curly and to the middle of my back. I am drenched at the end of a workout and it takes me like 15-20 minutes to wash my hair while in the shower and probably another 5 just brushing it out after...............I don't really want to cut it, but all this exercise makes it gross and sweaty!!!!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

BUMP!! So funny you brought this up. I was thinking that i might cut a lot off of my hair. It is very thick, curly and to the middle of my back. I am drenched at the end of a workout and it takes me like 15-20 minutes to wash my hair while in the shower and probably another 5 just brushing it out after...............I don't really want to cut it, but all this exercise makes it gross and sweaty!!!!

Your hair is so beautiful...don't cut it!
  • hjohns65
    hjohns65 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My hair is super oily, I have got to wash it every day or I become an oil slick :(

I am so jealous of all of you who don't have to...I wish!

^^this, yep! it sucks! gonna try the dry shampoo though..hmmmmm
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Since i'm blonde, i wash my hair every other day so i dont damage my color. on days i dont wash it i put baby powder at my roots and blow dry to remove oil and odor.
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day and use dry shampoo on the days in between or after working out! Love!
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Every day, unless I'm not leaving the house. I have tried every dry shampoo and just don't like it.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have fine hair, so I wash every day. I have to or it looks bad. Dry shampoo doesn't help much either!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings so wash it the next morning so that's every day in the week, then once at weekend. Keep it bob length as easier & use a good quality colour shampoo/conditioner from hairdressers. Don't use products except serum & shine spray. Tried dry shampoo but hated it - just made my hair straw like to touch & looked greasy!! Would sooner wash it!!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have to wash my hair every day because it is long, straight, fine, and very oily. If I have a second workout, yes I will wash it twice. I have tried, over the years, skipping washing days -- I even went to every other day for a month once, bc people always say you "should". I can tell you it was a month of disgusting hair every other day. Dry shampoo is also not useful for me.

I don't use expensive shampoo (Fructis from Target -- big bottle for $5). I use only minimal heat styling though.

hair.jpg

That being said, my 4-yr-old daughter has waist-length, thick, curly hair, and I was told NOT to wash curly hair more often than every 3rd to 4th day. Obviously, I don't heat style her hair at all, but I DO use expensive shampoo and conditioner on it!:

anihair.jpg
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    What most people don't realize is that the more you wash your hair the more oily it will get!! When your constantly stripping your hair of its natural oils it increases the amount produced, therefore resulting in your oily hair! As hard as it might sound, try not washing your hair as much for awhile and I'll bet anything you'll begin to produce less oil.

^^^THIS!!!

I was washing my hair every day and it would be oily by the end of the day!! I just recently discovered dry shampoo (recommended by a mfp friend) and now wash my hair every other day at the least. If I can I try to squeeze an extra day in between I sometimes do. And now my hair is not as oily. It took a few weeks to get to where it is now but was so worth sticking it out!!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I wash every other day in the Winter and everyday in the Summer, even if I don't have a workout. I use WEN hair products so don't have any problems, that stuff is the bomb dig.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I used to wash everyday because it got so oily (I have fine hair). I switched to every other day and my hair is less oily and much lower maintenance. I tried using dry shampoo but I didn't like the ingredients or how flammable the product is. Now I use cocoa powder mixed with baby powder (I have dark brown hair so the baby powder is to light to use alone) between washings. Even when I work out. The sweat gives my hair great texture!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have to wash my hair everyday....sometimes twice a day. I can't skip a day and not wash or my hair looks really greasy and oily...not to mention, I don't feel completely clean when it looks that way. Dry shampoo wouldn't be useful either...seems like you'd just be moving around all that funk and sweat throughout your hair and not rinsing or washing it out.