Americans...

Options
mes1119
mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
Seriously America, can't we get with the picture and use the metric system like the rest of the world?

I'm sick of having to convert weights and distances and food conversions.

Okay, rant over.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    We are special. Stubborn. Snowflakes.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    We like to be 'different'
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Seriously America, can't we get with the picture and use the metric system like the rest of the world?

I'm sick of having to convert weights and distances and food conversions.

Okay, rant over.

LOL. I was just b!tch!n about this with someone (an American) on Sunday and he completely agreed. :laugh:
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, it would be much easier if we did use the metric system.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

GOD BLESS 'MERICA! You take yer funny measurin' system and crazy talk back to Europe!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    How many pounds are in a stone?
  • kasarin
    kasarin Posts: 82
    Options
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yes, it would be easier if we used the metric system. But do you know how expensive that would be? Changing all the road signs? Changing every bit of packaging? Not to mention TEACHING people the metric system.

Seriously, I dont think it's that big of a challenge to ask google how many grams are in x amount of y.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    We started to, soda & alcohol has been converted!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    How many pounds are in a stone?

14 in a UK stone, 10 in an American stone
  • adampk17
    adampk17 Posts: 15
    Options
    We (Americans) should be using the metric system. But if the US government said they wanted to change there would be a lot of screaming and crying like spoiled brats.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    The United States of America
    Doing what we damn well please since 1776!

:smokin:
  • shanaenichole
    shanaenichole Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha. Yes we are :)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK we've kind of embraced it but we still buy beer and milk in pints but most other things are label in grams. People still weigh themselves in stones and pounds though and I still measure for some recipes (learnt prior to switchover) in ounces.

Grams make adding foods here so much easier. Don't even go there with cups!! ;-)
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    0 freezing 100 boiling,. makes f&cking sense to me! Yay leadership of America screwing us in education still, again!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Please, our government can't make a decision without at least 10 years of discussions & bills :laugh:
  • adampk17
    adampk17 Posts: 15
    Options
    jaxbeck, that's the citizens fault.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I CAN'T HANDLE DIFFERENT UNITS :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, it would be easier if we used the metric system. But do you know how expensive that would be? Changing all the road signs? Changing every bit of packaging? Not to mention TEACHING people the metric system.

Seriously, I dont think it's that big of a challenge to ask google how many grams are in x amount of y.

Teaching people to use the metric system? You are probably right, which is sad, because it's the most intuitive thing in the world. I am a chemist and I spend all day using the metric system, and then I step out into "the real world" and I just shake my head and ask why...