Question for the guys

Options

Replies

• tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    people bash people for being to skinny to fat, to blond, to tall, to short, to fit, to fluffy....... people can be mean ....
  • ashleymichaud
    ashleymichaud Posts: 119
    Options
    To clarify, by girls with muscles I mean athletic, fit bodies. Not female body builders that take "supplements."
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So, that's my question. What would guys have against girls that are ripped? Any insights and opinions would be awesome.

I think that to the majority of the general public consider it an extreme physique for a woman, the flip side of obesity. I think therefore this creates a strong aversion to it.

It is easy to forget on MFP that the bodybuilding look is actually a niche one. That is changing slowly in the big, bad world but it's not a generally held standard of female beauty.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they don't want to be with a woman who looks like she could hand their butts back to them. They're intimidated?? My husband is liking my goal. And he's liking my current body, and he liked my starting weight body, and my pregnant body.

My point? Not only do different men have different tastes, the same man can enjoy different things. He finds my confidence to use my body most appealing, and at my post pregnancy weight, I felt bad about myself and that translated into my self talk and how I carried myself.
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    people bash people for being to skinny to fat, to blond, to tall, to short, to fit, to fluffy....... people can be mean ....

Agreed. We just had this conversation at work. One coworker couldn't believe that a thinner coworker got body bashed by people telling her to eat a sandwich or that her thin wrists were "gross." Its unbelievable really.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Everyone's tastes differ. Personally, I like a woman about 5'2-1/2" tall.
    With Sexy Blue eyes.
    Curves.
    Busty.
    Brazillian waxed.
    Manicured.
    Clairol Beautiful Collection #B009W Light Red Brown Hair Color.

One time, a woman that had #A012K tried to buy me a drink. Like I would even give her the time of day.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Please refer to the SEARCH feature before posting.

Nice waste of a post, dude. Every single thing ever posted on these forums is a repeat of something. Get over it, or move on if you're not interested. It's not rocket surgery.

I personally hate a six-pack. On men and women. I just don't find it attractive. That doesn't mean I have a problem with anyone who has one or is striving for that. But if asked, I could go on about why I don't like it.. would that be considered "mean" ?
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that your answer is partly rooted deep into western culture. Think Greek sculpture, Renaissance paintings of women, and similar objects. Women were represented as people of leisure; pale, rounded and soft from no labor in the sun. The "Rubenesque" figure. I am sure that there were plenty of ripped women at the time; women who farmed, who were peasants, who died young and gave birth to many children. They had to be strong, but the civilization at the time did not value them because they were peasants, not royalty or landed.

Jillian Michaels as a role model for women is a major shift in our perception and cultural definition of the desireable woman. And a good one at that. Your uncle and dad are expressing opinions with centuries of agreement behind them. But that's just it. They are looking back. You and your mom represent the new age of women in society.
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    Perhaps they don't want to be with a woman who looks like she could hand their butts back to them. They're intimidated?? My husband is liking my goal. And he's liking my current body, and he liked my starting weight body, and my pregnant body.

My point? Not only do different men have different tastes, the same man can enjoy different things. He finds my confidence to use my body most appealing, and at my post pregnancy weight, I felt bad about myself and that translated into my self talk and how I carried myself.

That's one of the many things I love about my husband, he can see attractiveness in different body types and has always told me I'm beautiful. Even when I feel like anything but.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    With Sexy Blue eyes.
    Curves.
    Busty.
    Brazillian waxed.
    Manicured.

I could work with this!

Been working with this for almost 25 years. My wife.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to be strong and fitter looking, and I really don't care what some men think of it.

My husband is all for it, but he loves me the way I am now too. He also loved me when I was 220 lbs.

The guys at my gym are all for it too. They've been really helpful as well.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

Nice waste of a post, dude. Every single thing ever posted on these forums is a repeat of something. Get over it, or move on if you're not interested. It's not rocket surgery.

I personally hate a six-pack. On men and women. I just don't find it attractive. That doesn't mean I have a problem with anyone who has one or is striving for that. But if asked, I could go on about why I don't like it.. would that be considered "mean" ?

There is nothing new under the sun... (Ecclesiastes) see? Being repetitive is biblical. :-P
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    With Sexy Blue eyes.
    Curves.
    Busty.
    Brazillian waxed.
    Manicured.

Hah - I am almost there, a tad shorter, hazel eyes, and med copper red hair.

Sounds like she is a Lucky girl to have you. :)
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    In the example someone posted I prefer the top picture.

I'll offer an alternative explaination. Maybe they felt like this celebrities body was making you feel bad about yourself and they worry about your self esteem if you don't make your goal. So, they bash women with that kind of body to try to make you feel better and dissuade you from trying for it.
  • ashleymichaud
    Options

What you said is not mean in my opinon. It's your opinion and I respect that. What I found mean about what they said was the frequent use of the words disgusting, stupid, gross, and other terms that are usually used in insults. I'm not saying anyone has to like this body type, I just wish they would have worded it better I guess. Especially since they said this after I told them I was striving to be fit.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Each to their own,personally am not a fan of a "ripped" look on a lady.
    I like soft and curvy. :love:

There you go...That is my outlook
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between being fit and being too skinny. I do not like skinny girls but I do appreciate a woman who has some shape and is fit. Nothing sexier. Look at Jessica Biel. Perfection!
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Shocking revelation #2: some people are *kitten*.

QFT
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, but even if you get in amazing shape, the odds of six pack abs are very small.

I think toned women are amazing looking, but here is your reality check, that level of visible muscle is very very difficult for most people and sustainable by only a small few.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hello my fellow MFP-ers

So, I was visiting my parents last Saturday and my dad, my uncle and myself were sitting at the bar in the kitchen and we were talking about diet, exercise, etc. I made the comment that Jillian Michaels' body is one that I like to have when I get to my goal. I think her body is awesome. My dad then said that he hates looking at her, and then continued to lay into women that are fit and have toned stomachs. He and my uncle went on for a few more minutes about how they hate ripped abs and muscles on a girl. I thought it was actually hilarious and I laughed about it, but over the last few days I can't stop asking, why do they think that?

So, that's my question. What would guys have against girls that are ripped? Any insights and opinions would be awesome. I'm really curious. Girls, I want to hear yours too! Also lets try to be nice to each other.

Personally, I don't want a girl that can bench press me. That's pretty much my only rule.

I've found old school guys like chunkier women. I like fit women.