Americans...

Options

Replies

• takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    While we are at it, whatever happened to esperanto?
  • Lil_MiSsSunshiNe
    Options
    Actually we are doing it right, you are all doing it wrong.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Stone is not metric, it's British weirdness.
    [/quote]

But we like being weird!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    The same ppl who want us to switch to the metric system tell us to wear seat belts, or we should like soccer or cant smoke in diners...to u I say FU ....WE R AMERICA...

the rest of the world should follow us, not the other way around

Actually, I wish we didn't already compel people to wear seatbelts... then there would be fewer stupid people for me to rant about.

And more organs for donation.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The United States of America
    Doing what we damn well please since 1776!

:smokin:

hahahahhahaha LMAO
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Stone is not metric, it's British weirdness.

We like being weird!

Then stop telling us to not be weird!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Seriously America, can't we get with the picture and use the metric system like the rest of the world?

I'm sick of having to convert weights and distances and food conversions.

Okay, rant over.

Wait . . . you mean this hasn't happened yet? because when I was school I remember specifically being told that the official conversion would be around 2005 or 2010 and that we really needed to be ready for it.

They changed their minds. I've just gotten use to using both.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Well, since we're taught both systems in school and taught the conversions to and from each system, I don't see what the problem is with America. Why doesn't the rest of the world just learn the conversions like we do? Then we can put something online in either system and the end user can convert it to what they want to use. That's what I do. But then again, I convert back and forth from Imperial to Metric and vice versa on a daily basis, so I don't see what the big deal is when it just takes a few keystrokes on a calculator to do the conversion.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The same ppl who want us to switch to the metric system tell us to wear seat belts, or we should like soccer or cant smoke in diners...to u I say FU ....WE R AMERICA...

the rest of the world should follow us, not the other way around

Actually, I wish we didn't already compel people to wear seatbelts... then there would be fewer stupid people for me to rant about.

And more organs for donation.

That too.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Now I feel patriotic. It's our right to bastardize measurement systems to fit our needs.

Hell yea! Screw the Metric system! Wih a big red white and blue..... screwdriver...
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

:laugh:

And I agree, it would make a lot of sense to use the metric system.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    From Big Bang Theory:

Sheldon: "Ethyl alcohol. 40 milliliters."
    Penny: "I’m sorry, honey, I don’t know milliliters."
    Sheldon: "Ah. I blame President James “Jimmy” Carter. He started America on a path to the metric system but then just gave up. He wonders why he was a one-term president."
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    NO MAN NO!!! This country needs the metric system like it needs more fried food...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The metric system makes me curse. I'm actually pretty sure everyone should switch to my special measurement system. It's the one where you just compare whatever it is to something else. How big was the hole in the floor? Oh, about 3 grapefruits. How heavy was that dead hooker? Oh, about 7 bowling balls. See? It works.

My favorite measurement would have to be when one of my friends was buying his new car. He would always say, "and how big is the trunk?" they'd give some sort of measurement and he'd so "no, in dead hookers . . . I generally like my trunk to be at least large enough to fit 3 dead hookers." He finally bought the car from the sales person who asked "now are we talking whole or in pieces, because that does make a difference in how they fit."
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    America using cups for measuring food, making people overestimating their portions....

meters, grams, liters, Celsius, that would definitely make life easier for everybody..... but I guess you will have to deal with the stubbornness
  • tmacmoto
    tmacmoto Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    How many pounds are in a stone?

14 in a UK stone, 10 in an American stone

I was wondering why it hurt so much when I passed that stone.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    But until we decide to change... or not... do what I do.

convert-me.com

it will even convert the british weirdness of stone into the american weirdness of pounds... :flowerforyou:
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Be like the Uk and use both ;)
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    NO MAN NO!!! This country needs the metric system like it needs more fried food...
    It needs it like it needs failed European economic policies too. :laugh: