Getting in more protein....how do you do it?

Options
13»

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I just try to make sure I eat some protein at each meal. When in doubt, I have a whey protein shake.
  • Paul_Lothary
    Paul_Lothary Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll pass on the flavorless powders and gunky greek yogurt. Jerky made right is ultra low or no fat, and almost pure protein. And delicious. Robertson's is about 45 calories a piece.

http://www.bestbeefjerky.org/2009/06/robertsons-real-beef-jerky-hickory.html
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options
    I eat three live chickens for breakfast... then I log the extra calories I burned because chasing down those chickens is hard work.

LOL Love it!
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Whey Protein shakes
    Tuna
    Greek yogurt
    Tuna
    Egg Whites
    Tuna
    Peanut Butter (high in fat)
    Tuna
    Cottage Cheese (high in sodium)
    Tuna
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    0% fat greek yogurt mixed with protein powder. I call it my protein paste and have (literally) a quart a day of it. Zero fat, although I want to up my fat. Also, 2% cottage cheese. Try cutting all carbs except fruits and veggies (no potatoes) and see how you feel. Brutal at first but now it rocks my world.

This, and lots of fish
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I have a few questions to add.

Do all of the protein powders have a lot of calories? I found my son's and granted it is "cookies and cream', it smells very sweet and is loaded with calories. Are they all like that or can you buy plain, flavorless protein to add to food?

Are you better off to just eat protein packed food or the protein powders as far as calories go?

Next question, why do people even use protein powders? Not that I think it's bad, I'm just curious and may try it myself if I can fit it in calorie-wise.

Thanks!
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Whey Protein shakes
    Tuna
    Greek yogurt
    Tuna
    Egg Whites
    Tuna

Mercury Poisoning any? lol
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I have a few questions to add.

Do all of the protein powders have a lot of calories? I found my son's and granted it is "cookies and cream', it smells very sweet and is loaded with calories. Are they all like that or can you buy plain, flavorless protein to add to food?

Are you better off to just eat protein packed food or the protein powders as far as calories go?

Next question, why do people even use protein powders? Not that I think it's bad, I'm just curious and may try it myself if I can fit it in calorie-wise.

Thanks!

It's cheap and convenient, great for pre/post workout because it's absorbed faster than regular meat.
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelettes. Although an omelette made ONLY of egg whites would be terrible - they definitely need to have extras in to add flavor.. try herbs, spices, salsa, sauteed onions and peppers or even fat free cheese.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Whey Protein shakes
    Tuna
    Greek yogurt
    Tuna
    Egg Whites
    Tuna

Mercury Poisoning any? lol

I think I'm good. I checked it out. http://howmuchfish.com/
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat three live chickens for breakfast... then I log the extra calories I burned because chasing down those chickens is hard work.
    LMAO:laugh:
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani plain 0% fat greek yogurt with liquid egg whites and a scoop of whey isolate. Also grilled chicken breast, canned albacore tuna, ground chicken paties in place of hamburger. The occasional steak is also a fantastic way to up your protein while splurging.
  • reeseph0enix
    reeseph0enix Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have this problem.. and I work shift work so I have had to find easy ways to eat protein throughout the day so that I stay full! My tricks are low fat cans of tuna on crackers, snacking on cold sliced meat when i feel only slightly peckish, high protein yoghurt ( yoplait forme is one of the highest I think), also raw almonds are good.. lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,015 Member
    Options
    Made some home made crab cakes......yum.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I always wonder how people don't get enough protein. I am almost always over without trying.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    protein powder mixed with water or almond milk? this is what i do.
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    some great ideas to read later.....
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs for breakfast, drink a whey protein shake after my work out, and when I have extra calories in the budget I eat beef jerky!!!!
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    0% fat greek yogurt mixed with protein powder. I call it my protein paste and have (literally) a quart a day of it. Zero fat, although I want to up my fat. Also, 2% cottage cheese. Try cutting all carbs except fruits and veggies (no potatoes) and see how you feel. Brutal at first but now it rocks my world.

This is a great idea! What's the yogurt to powder ratio? LOL!
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    Egg whites!! They have a very high protein:calorie ratio. Grilled chicken, tilapia fillets, whey protein powder also are great at upping protein counts.