Americans...

Options

Replies

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Metric System! hahahhaha! Good one! Y'all are wacky!

You're just kidding, right?
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The metric system is for Communists!

Or didn't you know?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    No way! Everyone else should adopt the English system because it's awesome.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I teach math, and I agree totally with this! Kids really struggle with conversions in customary units. It is WAY easier to convert metric measurements!!!
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm American and would love it if they switched to the metric system. It would make it easier to do things.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada and to really confuse people (including ourselves) we regularly use both. It's especially hard when working out and losing weight. So, I'm 5'3" and 149lbs - don't have a clue how many centimetres or kilograms that is. I measure my distance ran/walked using metric (kilometres) which is confusing since my treadmill uses imperial. Anything I drink is in millimetres or litres, but food portions are by cups. Body temperature is imperial, but outdoor temperature is metric (Celsius) LOL!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Food manufacturers want *labels* to be 100% metric. It's illegal.

The US government did a study and found American companies making products with metric-only labels. But many are breaking the law to do so. It's seeping into our culture because of trade and our occupations (military, science, medicine). The government wants to end the ban on metric-only food labels. But it's an offence and some politicians want to keep it that way.

See:
    http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/metric/upload/Marketplace-Assessment-Metric-Labeling-Retail-Stores-Dec2009.pdf
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I prefer the metric system as it makes far more sense and makes the math a lot easier. As for the Fahrenheit system, the only thing I can figure is that Daniel Fahrenheit weighed 212 lbs when he was 32 years old.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    gpstrucker wrote:
    As for the Fahrenheit system ....

The FAA converted weather reports over to Celsius in 1996. We hardly notice small changes like that. But over time, many small changes add up.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    The United States of America
    Doing what we damn well please since 1776!

:smokin:
    *sings* Proud to be an Americaaaannnnn where I know 1 cup is a half can of beer...good ice cold Bud F*ckin light!

No it's not. A cup is 8 fluid ounces. A standard can of beer is 12 fluid ounces. Therefore, a half a can of beer is only 3/4 of a cup.
    I present to you, the tall boy.

D.jpg

:drinker: :love:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Seriously America, can't we get with the picture and use the metric system like the rest of the world?

I'm sick of having to convert weights and distances and food conversions.

Okay, rant over.
    I wish we would have switched when I was in elementary school. Now I'm corrupted with the American standard. Sucks when all the conversions and formulas have to be done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    metric > standard
  • sfburdett
    sfburdett Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Seriously America, can't we get with the picture and use the metric system like the rest of the world?

I'm sick of having to convert weights and distances and food conversions.

Okay, rant over.

The rest of the world dosen't use Metric, I am still imperial!!!
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The United States of America
    Doing what we damn well please since 1776!

:smokin:

:laugh: Bwahahahahaha! :laugh:
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    The same ppl who want us to switch to the metric system tell us to wear seat belts, or we should like soccer or cant smoke in diners...to u I say FU ....WE R AMERICA...

the rest of the world should follow us, not the other way around

And what's so bad about soccer?
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    How about this. Let's make a deal. Americans will learn the metric system if the rest of the world learns English. I think that seems fair.
    Ha, the rest of the world already knows English. Even if they aren't fluent, most people do have a working knowledge of it. At least I found that to be the case in the countries I've traveled through. Even 6 year olds in Ethiopia were speaking English :tongue:
  • courtxoney
    courtxoney Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    lol nah.
    it's not that difficult to google the answer.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    ..good ice cold Bud F*ckin light!

Bud Light is not 'good' It's not even 'passable' Barely drinkable when free.

And it's true. Everyone I met in Egypt spoke excellent English, and the Egyptians brew at least two beers that are better than Bud Light. :laugh:
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Converting to the metric system as a society would be a *massively* expensive proposition. Most schools teach both nowadays, so I'm perfectly content not spending the money to allow for the elimination of the one we traditionally use. It's not too hard to learn on one's own.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Completely agree, it's one of my more frequent rants. The imperial system doesn't even make sense on top of it being "different". Standard, divisible by 10, numbers please!