If you are scared to increase calories

Replies

• l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Great Article sleepytexan. I also recommend Lyle Mcdonald's Training the Obese Beginner for those with more than 50lbs to lose. Its a little more technical but its chock full of good info. Its in 7 parts.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

Agreed - both very good articles, thank you for posting!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    I totally agree with you, OP. I had been stuck in the brainwashed fog of thinking 1200 calories was what I needed to do to lose weight. I did it all the time over the years, and lost weight, but it always came back once I started eating like a human being again. Now, I eat about 1500 to 1700 calories a day and only exercise maybe 3 days a week, and I am losing. I also eat back whatever exercise calories I earn on my workout days.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    bump for later
  • wendy8883
    wendy8883 Posts: 50
    bumpp
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Using this advice:
    1) Run the Military Body Fat calculator
    2) Run the goal weight calculator using the BF% from above
    3) Run the BMR Calculator and eat at the proper TDEE for your GOAL weight and activity level.
    4) Lift something heavy 3 days a week and walk five days a week.

Would it be acceptible to use your sedentary TDEE as your daily calorie goal on MFP, and then eat back your exercise calories? (To make MFP entries easier)
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Would it be acceptible to use your sedentary TDEE as your daily calorie goal on MFP, and then eat back your exercise calories? (To make MFP entries easier)

Yes, that is fine. It is what I do. Due to my family's schedule I can't count on working out so I have my calorie goal set to 1550 (a bit above my BMR) and eat back most of my exercise calories.
  • Jen8np
    Jen8np Posts: 50 Member
    Do me a favor and look at the bottom of my post here. See that? Yep, guess what? I eat more than 1200 calories a day.

and I eat less than 1200, ditto. But I am starting from a radically different place, so your context is different.
    You're male so your intake is dangerously low. Your 'advice' is always confrontational and obnoxious and largely wrong. Please stop turning every thread you happen across into your personal soapbox.

Agreed! I want to meet someone who works out and eats 2,000 cals a day and actuall gains.... Doubtful! Why would someone want to create a crappy metabolism that can't handle anything. I eat and I can't imagine ever doing 1,200 cals a day, just stupid when as a nurse practitioner I can say BMR is a real factor that u should never eat below!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Do me a favor and look at the bottom of my post here. See that? Yep, guess what? I eat more than 1200 calories a day.

and I eat less than 1200, ditto. But I am starting from a radically different place, so your context is different.
    You're male so your intake is dangerously low. Your 'advice' is always confrontational and obnoxious and largely wrong. Please stop turning every thread you happen across into your personal soapbox.

Agreed! I want to meet someone who works out and eats 2,000 cals a day and actuall gains.... Doubtful! Why would someone want to create a crappy metabolism that can't handle anything. I eat and I can't imagine ever doing 1,200 cals a day, just stupid when as a nurse practitioner I can say BMR is a real factor that u should never eat below!

^this based on the fact I can eat over that and not gain.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    I've been eating my upped calories for 2 weeks now...I'm 5 weeks into Ripped in 30 (I finished the first 30 days on 5/14 and decided to go for a second round) and just started using 8lb dumbbells this week during the workout instead of the 2 & 5lb ones I was using the first 4 weeks. Earlier in the week the scale dropped 2lbs. and I was thrilled...now it's back up those 2lbs.
    I just need to reinforcement from people that have done this that I HAVE to stick with it! I know it can take 3 weeks before I start to see it working. Plus I'm thinking I'm retaining more water than normal with the extra weight I've added into my workouts.
    I have to say that I can't fathom eating any less than I am now. Two weeks ago I totally freaked at trying to get anywhere close to 1800 cals a day...and now I'm happily consuming right around 2000.
    I feel a lot better but I just want that darn scale to move!! I know I need to measure to and I plan to do that at the end of my 30 days.
  • Kincar
    I've been eating my upped calories for 2 weeks now...I'm 5 weeks into Ripped in 30 (I finished the first 30 days on 5/14 and decided to go for a second round) and just started using 8lb dumbbells this week during the workout instead of the 2 & 5lb ones I was using the first 4 weeks. Earlier in the week the scale dropped 2lbs. and I was thrilled...now it's back up those 2lbs.
    I just need to reinforcement from people that have done this that I HAVE to stick with it! I know it can take 3 weeks before I start to see it working. Plus I'm thinking I'm retaining more water than normal with the extra weight I've added into my workouts.
    I have to say that I can't fathom eating any less than I am now. Two weeks ago I totally freaked at trying to get anywhere close to 1800 cals a day...and now I'm happily consuming right around 2000.
    I feel a lot better but I just want that darn scale to move!! I know I need to measure to and I plan to do that at the end of my 30 days.

Do NOT give up! You have to stick with it to give your body time to adjust.

I started a new phase of my workout program and gained 1 lb on the scale overnight. Did you eat enough calories to gain 2 lbs in a few days? At 2000 cals there is no way you did. It is just your body holding on to water. It will let it go as you adjust to the heavier weights.

It's great that you are feeling better. Enjoy that feeling and hang tough! Your body will catch on. It just needs some more time.
  • saverys_gal

I started a new phase of my workout program and gained 1 lb on the scale overnight. Did you eat enough calories to gain 2 lbs in a few days? At 2000 cals there is no way you did. It is just your body holding on to water. It will let it go as you adjust to the heavier weights.

It's great that you are feeling better. Enjoy that feeling and hang tough! Your body will catch on. It just needs some more time.

THANK YOU kincar! :flowerforyou:

That was definitely the kind of motivation I was looking for. Sometimes it's so hard to be logical about this...but you're definitely right. I have not eaten enough to actually gain. I know I'm at a deficit between the amount I'm eating and the amount I'm burning.

How does everyone treat their rest days? Do you eat the same amount, more or less? I always find myself more hungry than normal on my rest day so I'm not sure if I should try and stick to my allotment, go a little below or just say what the hell and enjoy a couple hundred extra cals.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member

That was definitely the kind of motivation I was looking for. Sometimes it's so hard to be logical about this...but you're definitely right. I have not eaten enough to actually gain. I know I'm at a deficit between the amount I'm eating and the amount I'm burning.

How does everyone treat their rest days? Do you eat the same amount, more or less? I always find myself more hungry than normal on my rest day so I'm not sure if I should try and stick to my allotment, go a little below or just say what the hell and enjoy a couple hundred extra cals.

I'm really curious about this too......Sunday is my rest day and honestly I'm not usually that hungry when I havent worked out.
  • Kincar

I'm glad I could help. I was in your shoes not long ago. I'd put on 2.4 lbs. I had to keep telling myself I hadn't eaten enough calories to gain. I held on to that until that weight plus more came off.

You are eating a cut from your TDEE, right? Then you eat the same amount every day.

You can splurge on a couple hundred extra calories now and then. I usually have one day every week or two when I eat a little more with no ill affects.

Remember: Hang tough!
  • saverys_gal

I'm glad I could help. I was in your shoes not long ago. I'd put on 2.4 lbs. I had to keep telling myself I hadn't eaten enough calories to gain. I held on to that until that weight plus more came off.

You are eating a cut from your TDEE, right? Then you eat the same amount every day.

You can splurge on a couple hundred extra calories now and then. I usually have one day every week or two when I eat a little more with no ill affects.

Remember: Hang tough!

Yes, I'm doing 20% off of my TDEE right now since I've got a bit to drop. Thanks again for the support. I can't wait to be one of the people that comes back and is a success story!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    wow i went to the fat2fitradio.com site and was pretty surprised at the calories...I mean, they look like normal calories for maintenance for what I want, but not for losing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. It's interesting. Check it out, if you haven't. Oh, and for activity level it factors in exercise cals, just fyi
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 165 Member
    Thank you so much for posting this! I was one of those people who stuck to a 1200 calorie diet, and would only eat back very little of my exercise calories. I have upped my intake to 1600 and will stay with this for a while and see how it goes!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member

When are you going to be happy to do whatever it is you do and stop yapping like a little lapdog about what works for YOU, and how everybody should eat less than 1200 calories.... Go eat something, it might give you something constructive to do.....
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    I think everybody is wayyy to focused on how many calories they should be eating and if they should eat their exercise calories back. I've been guilty of this too. We need to listen to our bodies. Our bodies know best. If you haven't eaten back your exercise calories and feel satisfied at the end of the day, then no need to eat. If you eat 1,200 calories for the day and aren't hungry at the end of the day, then you don't have to eat. It goes the other way too. If you are still hungry at the end of the day, then eat.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    I think everybody is wayyy to focused on how many calories they should be eating and if they should eat their exercise calories back. I've been guilty of this too. We need to listen to our bodies. Our bodies know best. If you haven't eaten back your exercise calories and feel satisfied at the end of the day, then no need to eat. If you eat 1,200 calories for the day and aren't hungry at the end of the day, then you don't have to eat. It goes the other way too. If you are still hungry at the end of the day, then eat.

"Listening to your body" is what gets people fat and keeps them fat. It is VERY important to pay attention to how many calories you eat IF you would like to reach goal and maintain a healthy weight. Your body gets used to how much you eat. That is not necessarily a good thing if you are eating too few or too many calories.

Take a look at the "Living with Obesity at 700 calories a day". Even if you are not obese, you can see how eating too few calories can actually keep you overweight.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • LoriAnnLa
    LoriAnnLa Posts: 1
    I am eating what I normally eat during the day and with my exercising I am not getting my full 1200 calorie intake. and sometimes even without the exercises.. Do I need to go back to eating some red meat?