is it possible after 40 ???

Options
giovadani
giovadani Posts: 3 Member
I have been exercising for about 2 years. I exercise 3 to 4 days a week and I do not see any results my weight is the same. I am looking mostly to loose my extra skin around my waist (I hate it) and loose about 10 lb. I come to believe that I will never be able to accomplish it maybe because of my age. Does anyone who is about my age have had great results after 40??? Need some info to help me keep going or just known that I am waisting my time.

Replies

• Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I am 57.

I began a journey to lose weight last August.......I have lost 22 lbs, through logging my food, staying under calorie goals, exercising (and all I generally do is walking, hiking, a bit of elliptical.) I am plateauing now, but I am sure more weight will come off as I continue to log and attempt to stay under the calorie goals that I have set.

So, TRY it, you might be surprised. This has not been difficult..................a bit trying at times, as I'd like to see faster results, but it took me 56 years to get to 182 lbs................and I believe I will eventually be at my goal of 140, if I just keep going in this direction.

MOVE FORWARD............that's really all you have to do :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    I was 40 last November. I started at 220lb at the end of February and have lost 27lb so far. I'm now starting to add daily cardio and alternate days weight training in a bid to ensure things get nice and tight as the rest of the flab goes! I'm finding more results now I'm committed than I ever did in my 20s and 30s. I'll never look like a fitness model, I've had 6 children, but I hope to be fairly flat in the right places!
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I workout 8-10 times per week training for an IronMan. I reached my goal weight over 2 years ago and would like to drop another 20 prior to Aug 26th. I have been trying to lose that 20 pounds since August of 2010. If anything the peak training weeks I tend to be up on the scale as opposed to down.

I don't know how much truth there is to it but most endurance athletes with current/former weight issues have suggested to not worry about weight loss while doing massive amounts of cardio. If you wan't to drop fat you have to do strength training. Cardio will help but dropping those last few pounds is all about strength training.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am 44, and have been on again/off again exercising and watching my foods for the past two years. For the past 8 months I have been consistent, and I'm down from a size 12 to a 6, fat is coming off everywhere, and I would say I'm probably in better shape now than I was in my 30s.

It's definitely been a process, some trial and error, lots of combing through topics here and reading a few books to educate myself on the best ways to get healthy and stay that way. If you're like me, the mid-section, hips & thighs are where you carry your fat, and it has been the slowest to shrink on me. I did notice a couple months ago that my back fat has disappeared! Legs are looking better, the belly is shrinking, but it is definitely the slowest to shrink. Adding strength training to my workouts definitely made a difference.

What is your weight loss set to here at MFP (1lb a week, or 1/2lb, etc), and what is your calorie intake set to? Do you eat back your exercise calories? A lot of what I have learned is that most of us aren't eating enough. Your diary isn't public, so I can't view it, but seems a lot of us are set at 1200 when we first sign up. It works for awhile, but for the average woman, especially with exercise, 1200 isn't enough. The body needs fuel to get through the workouts and just daily routine, and if it doesn't get enough, it tries to conserve, metabolism slows, and you don't burn fat. Feed the body properly, and metabolism increases, efficiently burning the fuel you give it, and not storing fat.

There's a group here on the boards that covers this, check it out: Eat More To Weigh Less - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    At age 50 I joined a gym & did Body for LIfe for 12+ weeks...followed the plan explicitly and had so-so results while my slightly younger friends were sculpting their bodies and looking fabulous. Other than feeling a bit stronger and more disciplined I really didn't see any great results. I chalked it up to being old and gave up.

Ten years later (yes, I'm proud to admit to being 60 years old) I joined MFP to track fitness/nutrition & have lost almost 30 lbs. I now go to boot camp 2X/week, use the stationary bike 2X/week, mountain bike most weekends. I'm feeling pretty fabulous, finally. It can be done!

Make sure your hormone levels, especially thyroid, are correct. It makes all the difference. Good luck :)
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Life begins at 40 remember :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • wagon0619
    wagon0619 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and have dropped 128lbs in the last two years. You can do it!! Keep pushing.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 42 and it is possible, just not easy as it was when I was younger. You can do this!
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yup, it can be done. I've lost 36 lbs since January, and I'm 48 yrs old. I walk on my treadmill 4x a week. I just incorporated a lot more vegetables and fruits in my diet, and limited the sweets. Getting a handle on portion control was my biggest issue.

Good luck!
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am 50 next month and have lost 23lbs since NewYear. 4 years ago over a period of 18 months I lost 44 lbs although put 32 back on :sad: So yes it is just as possible after the age of 40 and their is no real evidence, that loosing weight is any harder as we age. What evidence suggests is we become more sedentary. I haven't had to change what I eat, just the amount. I was shocked when I started weighing my portions, I must have been eating as if I was a large man doing manual work, instead of a small female office worker!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm well over 40. I've never been clinically overweight, but I have tried successfully to watch my weight, although I used to weigh less. It gets increasingly harder as you get older, but it can be done. You have to be scrupulously honest about your calorie needs and get in as much vigorous exercise as possible.

If you're very overweight, a little walk here and there won't suffice (unless that's all you can do right now because of your joints). You need to be working in your aerobic zone for a good part of your workout and workouts need to be 45 to 60 minutes several times a week. Strength training is good for health, and I do it, but I don't believe it's a critical part of weight loss for the ordinary woman.

If you're small you can continue to enjoy food, but you have to make a fundamental decision, Which is more important, your health and general well being, or the ability to eat anything you want? Something has to give.

[Just saw that you have only 10 pounds to lose.] Losing the last 10 pounds is very hard. But you can do it. You have to really want to do it, though.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I am 50 next month and have lost 23lbs since NewYear. 4 years ago over a period of 18 months I lost 44 lbs although put 32 back on :sad: So yes it is just as possible after the age of 40 and their is no real evidence, that loosing weight is any harder as we age. What evidence suggests is we become more sedentary. I haven't had to change what I eat, just the amount. I was shocked when I started weighing my portions, I must have been eating as if I was a large man doing manual work, instead of a small female office worker!

The metabolism slows as we age, which makes it harder, although it's true that people do become more sedentary because of lack of opportunity or injury. They also fail to alter their eating habits, as you said. The approach of menopause brings hormonal changes that cause differences like the redistribution of fat, increased distribution of fat, and muscle atrophies without exercise.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I've lost over 100 pounds in the last few years. It can be done!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm 47.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    I have been exercising for about 2 years. I exercise 3 to 4 days a week and I do not see any results my weight is the same. I am looking mostly to loose my extra skin around my waist (I hate it) and loose about 10 lb. I come to believe that I will never be able to accomplish it maybe because of my age. Does anyone who is about my age have had great results after 40??? Need some info to help me keep going or just known that I am waisting my time.

I'm doing it after 50....so check out my profile photos and you'll see it can be done! Friend me if you want and I'd be happy to keep you going and informed if you'd like! (I like the pun "waisting my time" as opposed to wasting my time...lol Nice.

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and I started exercising last June. I do weight lifting and cardio, one or the other each day of the week. It has been a long hard journey but I am seeing great results now. I am still not to where I want to be but I am getting there. I suggest maybe working out more often and/or switch up your workout routine. Do something different.
  • sarahlucydaynes26
    Options
    Hiya :)

I am not in my 40s obviously but I just wanted to say good luck !! :flowerforyou:
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and down 9 lbs in 70 days. It works. Make sure you eat enough calories, exercise, and the pounds come off.
  • blueberry67
    blueberry67 Posts: 44
    Options
    i'm 53 - i've lost 33 lbs in 16 weeks - just exercise damn near every day and counting calories - keep going !
  • MissLexiLoo
    MissLexiLoo Posts: 43
    Options
    You definitely aren't wasting your time :) Exercising helps keep our heart in shape, helps blood circulation, releases dopamine which is a feel good chemical in the brain, it fights off resistance to infections and colds, it helps the circulatory system, we breath better so it helps our lungs, it raises our self esteem, it fights off depression and anxiety, you reduce the risk of developing type II diabetes, you reduce the risk of having high blood pressure. After the age of 40 your body can no longer develop new muscle, but you CAN tone the muscle you do have. There is no such thing as spot reducing, your body chooses to take the weight off where it wants to take the weight off. So doing a million sit ups won't solve the problem. If you have children, the area in your lower stomach usually isn't fat, it's usually skin. What you can do, for example, do muscle toning work outs. The first day do 5 sets of 12 reps, but on the second day you want to do, 3 sets of a much higher intensity reps. Keep building up the numbers because your body will begin to think that it needs to demand more from the muscles. Lean muscle mass burns fat. The first 20 minutes of a work out you're burning carbs, after 20 minutes you start burning fats. Also, if you exercise in the AM, you get 14 to 15 hours of fat burn through out the day. I hope this helps you! Keep it up, it really is worth it to exercise every day!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!