mini rant for those of you who "binge"

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    just putting this out there to set the record straight; it makes my skin crawl to see some people logging a 400 calorie snack attack as a an "OMG massive, disgusting, binge." there is a DIFFERENCE between someone who overeats a few hundred cals (usually because theyre depriving themselves) and someone who gorges themselves on a few THOUSAND calories because of emotional reasons. for someone like myself who's had 3k-5k emotional and horribly compulsive binges, its a slap in the face when i see people who call these ~under 1000 calorie meals~ "binges." its just overeating. i feel like theyre totally misinformed, saying they have a problem that is actually very serious for other people.

am i crazy or am i right? i see it time and time again.....

I'm amazed how few people have actually grasped what you're saying. Yes this annoys me too, and sometimes upsets me. Not because what others do has an impact on *my* weightloss. But because in labelling it as they do, they're effectively minimising the horrible experience of genuine compulsion. Giving into temptation is simply not the same as 'bingeing'.

The experience of a 'proper' binge is akin to a serious alcoholic going on a bender. The 'oh I had a chocolate bar, what a binge' comment is a bit like someone going into a bar and ordering a beer, and describing it as an alcoholic excess.

OP, you're doing an amazing job of getting this experience under control. well done, and more power to you.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think we honestly didn`t know that going 400 cal over our allotment was not a horrible terrible lapse of character. Food is so villified in the dieting community.

We think the war never ends. Our enemy is our friend and we can`t live without him.

No one means to minimalize the discomfort of a real disorder. We are just looking at it with the same gigantor glasses. 400 cal equals 4000.

We don`t know how to feed ourselves anymore when we start dieting.

Either way, it`s sad, and hard.

We`re sorry.

and sorry for ourselves too.

This made me cry. I've never cried from reading a post here before... :(:(:(
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    Many of us on this site are dealing with some pretty screwed up relationships with food. Our individual issues may vary, but confronting our behavior is necessary for improvement. Since you can't possibly know anyone's full story, don't be so quick to write off their experiences. You might find that you're only alienating otherwise supportive people :flowerforyou:

Yep
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I would classify most of the use of the word binge to be overeating. i do like the comparison to OCD and how that is overused.

I don't count it if I stay in my maintenance calorie level. To me that is a win but almost never happens.

To me, going off plan is not binging. Having something I truely enjoy in excess is over eating. This goes for eating 4 slices of pizza, half a batch of cookies or snacking on whatever treats someone brought into work. This is a problem but completely different from my definition of binging. I still can feel bad about my lack of will power and / or how much I ate.

For me, a binge usually lasts less than 2 hours and I forage for whatever I can find that is high fat or sugar. I eat whatever and have zero enjoyment in the taste and as I'm eating it all I'm thinking about is what I can eat when that is done. if there is no junk food in the house I like I eat the stuff I don't like. if there is no junk food in the house, I will go buy it. A binge is usually followed by 2+ days of poor eating while I struggle to regain control.

I hate when people say you can't gain weight overnight because if you have a high cal binge, you can.

Although I think most people don't use the word according to my definition, I also think most of the people here have some kind of issue with food.
  • CookieCrumble
    Options

I'm amazed how few people have actually grasped what you're saying. Yes this annoys me too, and sometimes upsets me. Not because what others do has an impact on *my* weightloss. But because in labelling it as they do, they're effectively minimising the horrible experience of genuine compulsion. Giving into temptation is simply not the same as 'bingeing'.

The experience of a 'proper' binge is akin to a serious alcoholic going on a bender. The 'oh I had a chocolate bar, what a binge' comment is a bit like someone going into a bar and ordering a beer, and describing it as an alcoholic excess.

OP, you're doing an amazing job of getting this experience under control. well done, and more power to you.

Just because some people don't 'agree', doesn't mean they don't grasp OP's point. They just don't agree with it or have their own views. For me, it's about the mindset and loss of control - that is it really. The number of calories is irrelevant. Please don't turn this into a 'competition', it isn't one.

Nobody here can 'diagnose' another - and nobody has the right to try to define another person's relationship with food.
  • EmCeeKayla
    EmCeeKayla Posts: 53 Member
    Options

600 cal a day? So this is what you will do for the rest of your life? I guess food really is the enemy!

do you think you want to stay this way, for like, uh, ever? do you ever wonder why the gov. recommends 2000 cal a day for most people.
    The gov. must be completely bonkers huh?

It`s good that your working on yourself, and realize that it is a disorder. I think there are so many people on here that don`t realize they are anorexic.
    Good for you for taking the bull by the horns.

I'm slowly increasing it every two weeks. I know I need to get out of this, but it's seriously difficult sometimes. But also, if I ate 2000 calories a day, MFP tells me I'll gain weight. I kinda do think that the gov. is crazy with 2000. My boyfriend has the metabolism of some strange animal I don't even know. He probably eats around 4,000 calories a day. He doesn't work out and HE'S STICK THIN.

But yeah, I KNOW this is a disorder. It's not a fun thing. It's not glamorous in any way shape or form. I admit I love the idea of "thigh gaps" "ribs" and "hip bones" as much as the next little "proana" lady. But I know it's a disordered way of thinking I need to get out of because that isn't healthy OR beautiful
  • tlc1222
    tlc1222 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've read many of these posts. For the most part, I neither agree or disagree. I can honestly say I've never binged by the true definition. I've definitely over ate, lost control, had no willpower, etc.I think people have misused the term which was offended many. I have a son with a severe learning disability. I am highly offended by people calling others retarded or saying "did you ride the short bus". Until you've walked in those shoes, you do not realize how offensive some words can be.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    People always seem to think their problems are more serious than other people's. They spend a lot of energy trying to explain why their trials are more significant than other people's trials. What a waste of energy and stress! Words I would use to describe such behavior: self-righteous, arrogant, narcissistic, selfish, childish. Does the word "whining" work? Probably.

Ease up on your bad self. Go take a walk.
  • Suziq1023
    Suziq1023 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Opinions on here hugely reflect on the personality of the individual

Of course they do - and I wanted to correct my earlier statement. I am no longer clinically morbidly obese. Now I am merely obese. If I was a foot taller I'd be still be overweight. It's all relative.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Agreed.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I completely agree... I struggle with binging and purging and it also irks me to see people who overeat saying that they "binge". There's a -hugeeee- difference between over-indulging in a few hundred calories and mindlessly plowing down thousands because your mind and body are too disconnected to prevent you from stopping. I will say that calorie count is variable among people though, so someone -can- "binge" by just a few hundred over their daily limit. What is the determining factor for compulsive eating, I feel, is the inability to feel control over what you're eating.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    its the emotion and the compulsion that makes it a binge, not the quantity. its the loss of control. not the number of calories. i think a lot of people do mistake over eating and feeling guilty with a binge though. but i dont see how the amount of calories you eat determines weather its a binge or not.

Yes..this.. ^ for some just a few hundred calories can be all that it takes to put them into weight gain mode.. I'd also be willing to bet that those who have claimed to have binged more than likely decided.."why bother to log what I just stuffed into my body..I'm already over.." Every one on this site is here for one reason or another.. But more importantly..because they/we are learning and trying to lead a new lifestyle.. We all should remember that and be supportive to individual goals and setbacks.. Jmho.
  • SweetPickle007
    Options
    Don't be so judge mental...you don't know that persons life or what they deal with everyday...
  • blairh10
    blairh10 Posts: 37
    Options
    its the emotion and the compulsion that makes it a binge, not the quantity. its the loss of control. not the number of calories. i think a lot of people do mistake over eating and feeling guilty with a binge though. but i dont see how the amount of calories you eat determines weather its a binge or not.

I work in mental health, currently working with addiction behaviors. You have it right. It is not the quantity that makes a binge, that is just the behavior, it is the emotional response of the patient both before and after. Quantity does have something to do with where a person rates for a psychiatrist or psychologist evaluating them but does not actually define "binge" these days. Some aruge this can lead to over-diagnosis of EDs but, for now, it is seen as preemtive because, without treatment, a person's health and safety is compromised.
    I have a particular patient now who's family would not have admitted her into treatment for a binge ED if she had not mentioned suicide on a few occasions after a late night binge. The "binge" in question was a grilled cheese sandwich. Otherwise to them her eating habits were very normal. She was identified by her mother, who brought her to the ED specialized hospital, as a "picky eater" but not so much so she worried.
    Herself, she claimed feeling "gross, worthless, and hopeless" after eating something that was not a "vegetable". I guess my point is, while some problems others claim to have may look insignificant to someone who has had a more extreme issue, in this case it is about self-perception.
    I am glad you feel you were able to work though your binge eating and I understand why you needed to vent about this topic.
  • CookieCrumble
    Options
    Thank you, blairh10... so helpful.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Here's the section on Binge-eating disorder from the DSM IV, the official guide used by mental health professionals to diagnose disorders.

307.50 Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified

6. Binge-eating disorder: recurrent episodes of binge eating in the absence if [sic] regular
    inappropriate compensatory behavior characteristic of Bulimia Nervosa.

Adapted from American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed, text rev.
    Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 2000.

Listed in the DSM IV-TR appendix as a diagnosis for further study, Binge Eating
    Disorder is defined as uncontrolled binge eating without emesis or laxative abuse. It is
    often, but not always, associated with obesity symptoms. Night eating syndrome
    includes morning anorexia, increased appetite in the evening, and insomnia. These
    patients can have complete or partial amnesia for eating during the night.

http://casat.unr.edu/docs/eatingdisorders_criteria.pdf
  • meerkat70
    Options

Just because some people don't 'agree', doesn't mean they don't grasp OP's point. They just don't agree with it or have their own views. For me, it's about the mindset and loss of control - that is it really. The number of calories is irrelevant. Please don't turn this into a 'competition', it isn't one.

Nobody here can 'diagnose' another - and nobody has the right to try to define another person's relationship with food.

I think you just demonstrated you didn't grasp my point either. :-)

The issue is that giving in and have one chocolate bar isn't a 'loss of control' (and here, I think the other 'mental health professional' posting in the thread is also perhaps missing the OP's point - she's not dismissing the genuine experience of bingeing associated with various forms of ED - she's challenging trivialising labelling). In our therapeutised culture, the terms 'binge', 'trauma', 'depression' etc have all made their way into a very general vocabulary and are used in a manner that obfuscates their original meaning. Yes, loss of control is the key. But in a binge the experience of loss of control is really quite different from the temporary lapse associated with a little dietary cheat. the OP is clearly referring to the 'OMG, I just had a total binge, I totally ate a cookie, I can feel myself bloating' kind of nonsense that gets posted on this site. This simply isn't 'bingeing', and as I said, to describe it as such is to be quite dismissive of the genuine emotional experience of bingeing.
  • CookieCrumble
    Options

The issue is that giving in and have one chocolate bar isn't a 'loss of control' (and here, I think the other 'mental health professional' posting in the thread is also perhaps missing the OP's point). In our therapeutised culture, the terms 'binge', 'trauma', 'depression' etc have all made their way into a very general vocabulary and are used in a manner that obfuscates their original meaning. Yes, loss of control is the key. But in a binge the experience of loss of control is really quite different from the temporary lapse associated with a little dietary cheat. the OP is clearly referring to the 'OMG, I just had a total binge, I totally ate a cookie, I can feel myself bloating' kind of nonsense that gets posted on this site. This simply isn't 'bingeing', and as I said, to describe it as such is to be quite dismissive of the genuine emotional experience of bingeing.

You have no idea how another person feels. Unless you are an alcoholic, you cannot make the parallel you did. This thread is very triggering for me and I don't have to explain my feelings on that, nor will I. If you like to interpret my post as my inability to grasp the points you and the OP made, which were really quite simple to understand, then feel free. The vocabulary used is a red herring and really quite irrelevant. Blairh10's post illustrates this perfectly.

Many of us have our individual 'crisis points' around emotional eating and, as you don't know what they are, with respect, kindly refer to your own experiences and stop extrapolating.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly what I hear in your "rant" is the significant pain and struggle you don't want to have minimized. I hear your pain and I'm so sorry for this experience for you. The fact that it bothers you that others use the word "binge" without really understanding a BAD SIGNIFICANT binge just makes me guess you are still struggling, still in pain and still working through it all. Hang in there... Keep working and healing and someday you will be so strong and filled with so much self confidence and self love that it won't ever bother you.

This is the perfect response to this entire thread. Spoken like a true therapist. :)
  • meerkat70
    Options

The issue is that giving in and have one chocolate bar isn't a 'loss of control' (and here, I think the other 'mental health professional' posting in the thread is also perhaps missing the OP's point). In our therapeutised culture, the terms 'binge', 'trauma', 'depression' etc have all made their way into a very general vocabulary and are used in a manner that obfuscates their original meaning. Yes, loss of control is the key. But in a binge the experience of loss of control is really quite different from the temporary lapse associated with a little dietary cheat. the OP is clearly referring to the 'OMG, I just had a total binge, I totally ate a cookie, I can feel myself bloating' kind of nonsense that gets posted on this site. This simply isn't 'bingeing', and as I said, to describe it as such is to be quite dismissive of the genuine emotional experience of bingeing.

You have no idea how another person feels. Unless you are an alcoholic, you cannot make the parallel you did. This thread is very triggering for me and I don't have to explain my feelings on that, nor will I. If you like to interpret my post as my inability to grasp the points you and the OP made, which were really quite simple to understand, then feel free. The vocabulary used is a red herring and really quite irrelevant. Blairh10's post illustrates this perfectly.

Many of us have our individual 'crisis points' around emotional eating and, as you don't know what they are, with respect, kindly refer to your own experiences and stop extrapolating.

My comments are based on rather more than personal experience.But as the valley girl would say, 'whatever'. You appear determined to miss my point, and if you're happy with that, more power to you. I'm not saying what you think I'm saying. Let's leave it at that, eh?