MOMS & DADS....what's your car and do you like it?

Options

Replies

• Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    I'm tired of the soccer mom minivans...I'm on my 4th one now.
    Is it just me, or has every minivan you know of had the engine or transmission die?

It's not just you, the head gasket went on ours last year, it was going to cost over £1000 to repair so we sold it for scrap, we got about one hundredth of it's original value. We can't afford to buy a car so we have my inlaws one on permanent loan...until that goes wrong.
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    have an 11 dodge charger, great with the older kids since we have leather seats and stuff. also an 09 corolla which I love because it never gives me any problems and the gas is decent and a gmc jimmy that my husband drives.. hate it, old car but still runs great.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Dodge Charger and love it! Don't let the kids drive it!!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have a GMC Yukon Denali and I LOVE it! I have 2 kids, 8 and 2 and they love it too. Way cooler than a mini-van. Has bucket seats so they have their own space and third row seating. It also has a flip down tv. Very spacious. Highly recommend!

I had the Denali XL and loved it (except for the 12 mpg). The transmission and electrical went at 69k miles though, and I found it was a common problem on that and the Escalade (same powertrain).

After that we went to a Mercedes GL320 (diesel). Quite a bit shorter and only sat 7. Great gas mileage . . . when it wasn't stopping dead on the highway without warning (what a lemon!!).

I now have an Infiniti QX56, seats 8 (and we need that with a family of 6), but just a bit shorter than the XL. Still guzzling gas at 14 mpg; love it, though.
  • Mrsmis78
    Mrsmis78 Posts: 62
    Options
    Dodge Durango--2008--before they went to the minivan look for it. Very reliable, 4WD....gas mileage sucks but I wouldn't trade it for the world!
  • soccermoma11
    soccermoma11 Posts: 126
    Options
    i drive a 2010 ford focus! i only have one son and am a single mom, i also have a big dog i like it it does well in the alberta winters. but im looking to eventually get a dodge ram. i would love a truck.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Honda CRV.

Ups: good gas mileage, 4 wheel drive, can seat 5, surf boards fit perfectly on top, repairs are relatively cheap

downs: hondas break down more than US made cars. My sweetie is always telling me to get something made by Jeep.
    LMAO thats couldn't be more opposite. Honda's and Toyotas are the most reliable for the money BY FAR. I dont own either, but have in the past.
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Dodge Durango (New Body Style) Citadel.

I love it! The interior is larger than a Tahoe despite the Tahoe looking "beefier".

The gas will kill you but to me, it's worth it. Best vehicle I've ever owned and our two kids and two dogs (one being a Great Dane) all fit comfortably and with room to spare.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I drive a Mazda 5. I liked it a lot when I first got it... Now, not so much. I have 3 very tall kids. We've all got our seats back as far as they can go. So there goes any trunk space. I have to fold away a seat to go grocery shopping and the kid in the back has to
    Deal with groceries in their lap. But.., its great on gas.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Loaded up ford expedition, we have two kids and a dog. My wife had a mini van for six years, drove it all over the US, never had any issues, it was a Chrysler town and country. She loves the expedition. Plenty of room for everyone and everything, only downside is it loves gas, but she is very happy with it, it is roomy, safe, and will be great in the winter.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    2012 Nissan Sentra SE

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Honda CRV.

Ups: good gas mileage, 4 wheel drive, can seat 5, surf boards fit perfectly on top, repairs are relatively cheap

downs: hondas break down more than US made cars. My sweetie is always telling me to get something made by Jeep.

"hondas break down more...." Really? I am on my third Honda, I have NEVER had one problem. I have a 1999 Accord now, no trouble.
  • Tamaralea88
    Tamaralea88 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a 2003 Mistubishi Galant...it is too small lol
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have a 2009 loaded Chevy Cobalt LT sedan. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy if they had kids. Loaded or not, there are literally 5 inches of leg room in the backseat and nearly no storage. I like the car just for me (thank goodness I only have one child, too), but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with more than one child!
  • Cindylou321
    Cindylou321 Posts: 66
    Options
    I have two kids one that is still young enough to ride around with me all the time and I drive 2008 Mustang GT with over 500 HP ... No I do not recommend a modded up muscle car for a family vehicle unless your a family of racers like mine.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We just had to get a mini van this year : (

2010 Crystler Town and Country, I love it but never wanted to be a mini van mom : D
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    i know someone with 460xxxkm on their honda and no problems! just routine stuff. Amazing what those Honda's can do!
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    GMC Acadia.

I really like it. The trunk is smaller than I'd like, and the " fold flat " back seat doesn't fold QUITE flat.

But : I like having 2 captains chairs instead of a middle bench.

This is what I drive. I have 3 kids (9, 4,2). We have the one with 4 captain chairs. Best vehicle for a family of 5 in my opinion. Plenty of room and the trunk is around 21 cubic feet while a Tahoe is around 16 cubic feet. The suburbon would have more but I don't want the gas OR THAT big of a car. My 3rd row drops easily and is flat.
    This is what we were looking at last night, seems very nice!
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My wife drives a 2011 Ford Flex, with the EcoBoost engine and AWD. Seats 7, drives like a car, really nice inside and very comfortable. Even with the twin-turbo v6 she gets 19-20mpg. 3 row folds flat, and even with it up, there is a decent amount of cargo space.

I drive a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T. Lots of fun, seats 5 comfortably, and goes like heck with the HEMI.

She drives a flex, you drive a Charger...yet your weight loss ticker is a MUSTANG????? lol
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 yr old Honda Odyssey and haven't had any problems with it. I've had nails in my tires 3 times - which sucks b/c it has "run flat tires" which can't be patched. (TO the tune of $300/tire to replace!) Other than that, knocking on wood, I love it!! Navigation, DVD player....super comfy. Not sure what I'll get next for for now, I love my Odyssey!