Running vs Jogging

Options

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” - John Bingham

Exactly.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. I walk at 4mph, while some people would have to jog. On the other hand, I run at 5mph, while some people would call that jogging. We're all in different states of fitness, so how we run is just as different. What is slow to some is fast to others and vice versa.
  • jareno0919
    jareno0919 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do a 12:30 mile and I consider myself a runner...I feel that if I run, I'm a runner no matter the speed.
  • jareno0919
    jareno0919 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” - John Bingham

Exactly.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY and I've been pleasantly surprised that I've been treated like a runner at every event I've been to...LOVE the running community!
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    To Run - To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

To Jog - To run or ride at a steady slow trot

In the same breath, who cares the label, you are getting out there for you and feeling good about it! Whatever the speed!

My husaband and I had this debate-- this is what it said in the dictonary-

RUN - both feet leaving the ground at the same time

JOG- is when one foot remains on the ground at all times.

I "JOG" everyday--- but in my mind- I'm running and I say I "RUN". As long as I move forward who cares what it is!!!!
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    The term "jogging" reminds me of the 80s and track suits.

I'm a runner, no matter how slow I go, no matter how short a distance I run.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

RUN - both feet leaving the ground at the same time

JOG- is when one foot remains on the ground at all times.

I always thought that this was the difference between walking and running. I think the race walking governing bodies feel the same way that I do.
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A "jogger" is a runner with low self-esteem. :laugh:

:laugh: Love this...
  • MisterGorilla
    Options
    I dont know what you guys are talking about I dont jog or run I skip!! :)

Hahah just joking, anyways I jog, I keep a steady pace of about 4.5-5mph, once I get up to 6mph or higher I am running, running is a lot more effort than jogging, after running there is sprinting its all about what speed youre going.
  • halffullpgh
    halffullpgh Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For me, jogging vs running is all up to the individual. when i run at my usual pace, i consider that running. Anytime that i purposely run slower than my usual speed, i consider that a jog. That's just me.
    I concur
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The term "jogging" reminds me of the 80s and track suits.

And those sun visors with clear plastic brims!

Yes, I recently restarted C25K and walk/run and have never entered a marathon but I don't push myself to go out three times a week come rain, hail or shine for an (albeit very slow) run for me to damage my self esteem by calling it jogging! If you get both feet off the ground at the same time and move faster than you walk, then to me you are a runner (and I'm quite proud to say I am one!).
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I know someone who says "the difference between a runner and a jogger is an entry form".. works for me!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I call myself a runner. But I am very slow. To many people's way of thinking that might only make me as a jogger. But I run for myself. So I really dont care how they classify it. To my way of thinking, distance should factor in as well. I think of a run as longer than a jog, like a dance is longer than a jig (in my mind at least.) I think its all subjective. And although I usually refer to myself as a runner, I often use the terms running and jogging interchangeably. Since I am working on increasing distance regardless of speed I dont feel locked into defining it qualitatively by speed alone.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I know someone who says "the difference between a runner and a jogger is an entry form".. works for me!

Love it! I know I wear my bibs proudly. I dont care if I finish last, I'm a runner.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think I consider myself a jogger....maybe because for me, its about distance.....I am a huge WALKER (I walk in the breast cancer 3 day 60 mile walks every year so walking is easy...) I walk at a fairly fast pace, at least 4 MPH, if I am on the treadmill, usually about a 4.3 and I can keep that pace up for a long time...(not the 60 mile walk lol) but when I 'run' I can only go at about a 4.5-5 pace and only for short bits of time still....so I guess it really doesnt matter....For me, I wouldnt want to identify myself as a runner and then have one of my friends say, HEY, come run with our running club....cuz I wouldnt be able to keep up lol.....so I can proudly say I am an amazing walker a part time jogger and could really care less about becoming a runner.....I have walk/jogged a marathon as well :smile:
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

This a thousand times
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    I agree with the others that it depends on the individual and how you differentiate jogging and running . For me, if I go on a run, do it slow, and incorporate walk breaks - I definitely consider that jogging. But if I can run non-stop at a 10 - 11 minute mile pace, then I'm running. Also, I consider distance. I've done a number of half marathons, some slow (with walk breaks) and some fast (non stop) and I would consider all those races, a run.

But I always tell people that I'm going or went for "a run." I never say jogging either. LOL
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For me, jogging vs running is all up to the individual. when i run at my usual pace, i consider that running. Anytime that i purposely run slower than my usual speed, i consider that a jog. That's just me.

I agree with this.

Agree.
  • joek5637
    joek5637 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :smile: :smile:

Love it! I know I wear my bibs proudly. I dont care if I finish last, I'm a runner.