"You won't get bulky!" they said...but I am! Please help!

Options
12346»

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is this: Regular resistance training keeps the body in a near-permanent state of muscle repair where your muscle retains water to facilitate this process. It leads to swelling of the muscles that is not actual muscle _growth_ but swelling that won't go down until the muscle is fully healed from the resistance training activity.

No offense but if you're at the point strength-wise where you are seeing this from working with 5-10 lb weights when other people are doing those same exercises with close to a hundred pounds, then yeah, you will see some legitimate muscle growth regardless of WHAT kind of resistance training you incorporate because you have pretty much no muscle at all. Adding anything that strengthens your muscles will show SOME (but not a lot) of growth. It's a sign of health. Enjoy it and don't look at it like it's a bad thing.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not saying I gain faster than a man, but I definitely put on muscle faster than any females I know. I lifted for 3 years in college when I was a competitive swimmer. I was bigger and fatter than I am now (a whole 2-3 pants sizes bigger) and I had a good diet (and worked out a good 4-6 hours a day).

Some women simply do bulk up. Why you may think that this look is attractive, some women don't like it. I've been teased ALL my life for having large muscles. Not saying I gain faster than a male, just saying that my muscular build is not "feminine" like many people on here claim will happen when women lift heavy.

Some women are simply stronger and more muscular than others from higher testosterone levels and genetics. Not all women need to "lift heavy" to have muscles.

I'm just sick of everyone saying that you HAVE to lift to look good and have a firm muscular look. Some women have them naturally. Every body is different.

Why isn't it?? I think this is the real problem here and despite my adoration for cris and the boys, they'll never get it... because for many women this isn't really about strength or weight or muscle or fat... its about trying to fit into this tiny little box of what the perfect woman should look like and it is total BS. For starters this feminine ideal completely rules out entire races of women. visit the pacific islands for example. Then there's the fact that this ideal seems to change from generation to generation or even season to season. It is 100% your business what you strive to look like, but my friendly advise is to embrace your genetic possibilities. Pick a role model that at least shares your shape, otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure.

Personally I spent my formative years dreaming that one day I would wake up and look something like this:
    claudia_schiffer_burnt_orange.jpg

But i realised I may as well try to sprout an afro..

now I am aiming for this:
    Curve1.jpg

Still a massive goal, but at least a possible one...
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Personally I spent my formative years dreaming that one day I would wake up and look something like this:

Curve1.jpg

Just laughed so hard at your afro comment. It's true though, it is a huge problem that the "ideal" for women is so slim, and that at one point in almost every girls life, including mine, the ultimate goal to somehow resemble the top photo was/is so prevalent. Once you accept what you can reasonably achieve within your genetic and physical dimensions, you can begin to visualize a "perfect you", customized to be a goal within reason and without putting your health at risk.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Curve1.jpg

A very worthy goal Miss!
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options

A very worthy goal Miss!

Agreed! About the only thing I'm always proud to admit about my body is that I have been genetically blessed with a "Kardashian booty" (thank you mom) and the thing I look forward to most is that if I play my cards right and stick hard with my exercise plan, my bum should someday look just like that :D
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    Just laughed so hard at your afro comment. It's true though, it is a huge problem that the "ideal" for women is so slim, and that at one point in almost every girls life, including mine, the ultimate goal to somehow resemble the top photo was/is so prevalent. Once you accept what you can reasonably achieve within your genetic and physical dimensions, you can begin to visualize a "perfect you", customized to be a goal within reason and without putting your health at risk.

Plus I could bench-press Claudia Schiffer :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I think I remember seeing some of your impressive power lifting stats - you could probably bench two of her!!
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options

You go girl ;) Just saying, a ton of my guy friends (and apparently just lots of dudes nowadays) think that a woman who is visibly strong and can lift is a hell of a lot more impressive/sexy than some 00 model. (Not saying that there's anything wrong with tiny gals...but this is pretty much exactly what my buddies have said.)
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I know a lot of men, of all levels of fitness, and various ages...and I don't know a single one of them who would prefer the top picture to the bottom. I can safely say that was the case throughout the entire almost 30yrs that I've been aware of women as more than the gross 'other' people of the schoolyard.

The clothing industry, does NOT equal society.
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    I think I remember seeing some of your impressive power lifting stats - you could probably bench two of her!!

Maybe 1.5x... but she'd have to maintain a good plank :)

Anyway, to the OP my point is this. I believe that your thighs have gotten bigger, but don't know enough science to say why. What I will BET you is that they look sexy as hell and you should just buy new pants... or wear booty shorts;)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Not saying I gain faster than a man, but I definitely put on muscle faster than any females I know. I lifted for 3 years in college when I was a competitive swimmer. I was bigger and fatter than I am now (a whole 2-3 pants sizes bigger) and I had a good diet (and worked out a good 4-6 hours a day).

Some women simply do bulk up. Why you may think that this look is attractive, some women don't like it. I've been teased ALL my life for having large muscles. Not saying I gain faster than a male, just saying that my muscular build is not "feminine" like many people on here claim will happen when women lift heavy.

Some women are simply stronger and more muscular than others from higher testosterone levels and genetics. Not all women need to "lift heavy" to have muscles.

I'm just sick of everyone saying that you HAVE to lift to look good and have a firm muscular look. Some women have them naturally. Every body is different.

I also have the same case as per my doctors & the gym as I mentioned in my previous posts but I'm proud of it & in fact my boyfriend even finds strong women sexy. I don't care what other women say, anyway we love to set crazy standards on ourselves so no wonder why a lot of us especially the young suffer from body image issues. Which is why whenever I get bad comments from females especially on my body, I just ignore them or tell them to f*** off.

If you're muscular, be proud of it instead of being ashamed of it. You said it yourself that we cannot gain like a man, all we need to do is to burn that fat off to reveal sexy muscles that sculpts & shapes our body that will make us look toned, not bulky.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I keep on editing my posts, my English is really poor so forgive me. This site should have a sentence translator & a preview button :grumble:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Option B FTW :love:
  • Carebear530
    Carebear530 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe you would gain muscle that fast. Not that it can't happen but not likely. I would keep lifting lighter weights. I usually gain a little weight at first too but then I lose it. Hang in there.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Why isn't it?? I think this is the real problem here and despite my adoration for cris and the boys, they'll never get it... because for many women this isn't really about strength or weight or muscle or fat... its about trying to fit into this tiny little box of what the perfect woman should look like and it is total BS. For starters this feminine ideal completely rules out entire races of women. visit the pacific islands for example. Then there's the fact that this ideal seems to change from generation to generation or even season to season. It is 100% your business what you strive to look like, but my friendly advise is to embrace your genetic possibilities. Pick a role model that at least shares your shape, otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure.

Curve1.jpg

Well, I already have the muscle mass of the second girl. I'm just trying to get rid of the fat on top. I don't need to lift to do that. I think the first girl is hideous, never said I wanted to look like a stick figure. I just look even bigger when I lift because my muscle grows and my fat stays there. Cardio/bodyweight resistance and diet has helped me get closer to looking like that. Making sure I get enough protein and eat enough has helped me lower body fat and maintain muscle mass without lifting anything over 15 pounds.

I LOVE my muscles. I just don't want to make them any bigger than they already are. And I know my body, and it builds muscle very quickly. Just saying, lifting isn't for everyone.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

Curve1.jpg

Well, I already have the muscle mass of the second girl. I'm just trying to get rid of the fat on top. I don't need to lift to do that. I think the first girl is hideous, never said I wanted to look like a stick figure. I just look even bigger when I lift because my muscle grows and my fat stays there. Cardio/bodyweight resistance and diet has helped me get closer to looking like that. Making sure I get enough protein and eat enough has helped me lower body fat and maintain muscle mass without lifting anything over 15 pounds.

I LOVE my muscles. I just don't want to make them any bigger than they already are. And I know my body, and it builds muscle very quickly. Just saying, lifting isn't for everyone.

Pilates, power yoga & resistance band exercises also works wonders for your muscles without the added bulk but in my case I still prefer to lift heavy since right now I'm on cutting phase & I don't want to lose those precious muscles away while I'm on deficit. On the flip side, I love the attention that I'm getting at the gym both from men & women including the PTs whenever they see me perform 8 pull-ups, deadlift 70 lbs., bench press 60 lbs., arm exercises 35 lbs. each arm & squat at 75 lbs. they would all give me weird looks & especially that being the only woman in the free weights area sharing the exact same weight with the guys.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Yep, supposedly even on a deficit.

Whatever.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Did you take measurements? It's absolutely impossible for your measurements to go up while you are in a calorie deficit. So most likely you aren't in a calorie deficit. Even if you are genetically superior and put on a whole pound of muscle while losing a whole pound of fat (which is damn near impossible) your volume would decrease because the size of a pound of muscle is smaller than that of fat.

So basically, either your subjective evaluation method is flawed or you aren't eating in a calorie deficit.

^^This^^ Plus, if you can put on that much muscle to be actually noticeable in a mere 3 weeks using only 10 pound weights, you need to bottle that and sell it. Seriously, it's not possible. In addition, if you were building on your legs, they wouldn't touch, they would get leaner and more defined. Fat would do what you are describing. Muscle would not.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

Totally cool, I was mainly responding to the part I bolded, where you said "my muscular build is not "feminine""... I bet you're totally feminine and hot !
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Whatever.
    Some people are so blinded by their own beliefs that they believe the laws of the Universe do not apply to them :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

Whatever.
    Some people are so blinded by their own beliefs that they believe the laws of the Universe do not apply to them :)

Now you're just being silly. They don't apply to everyone, I saw Jackie Chan run up a wall.