Do you look before commenting?

Options

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    i never comment on diaries because i never look at diaries.

^This.
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    Before the Android app had it to where you could see the diaries, I didn't. Unless I was on my computer. Now I try to every time.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I always have a peak first.

If it's full of crappy foods, or they're over for the day, i don't comment at all. I feel like it's not my place to criticise their diaries, unless they're asking for my opinion.
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I always check! I agree with you, no WTGs unless they are over about 1100 cals, unless I know for a fact that tey are on a doctor recommended LCD.

I even get frustrated when I accidently complete my diary after breakfast and I get a "wow, good job today. I love oatmeal!" So... you saw that I had 170 cals and still said good job? No!!!

I don't normally comment on it when its under though, unless they are blatantly posting things suggesting they have an ED and have changed their cal goal to around 300 :( I'm always nice though and never pushy, just a suggestion that weight loss and healthy living works better when you eat ATLEAST 1000 cals. Just there for support in their time of need I guess, I dunno

LOL omg I've done that plenty of times too, only had one comment saying wtg though. xD However, I've seen it for my friends. One girl only posted breakfast and lunch at about 700cals had like 3 comments saying awesome job! :P Seriously, she replied along the lines of, really :-/? That worries me because I don't want to see my friends think they're doing things the wrong way when they're perfectly fine. The second guessing get's to everyone during this.
  • jazziesaj11
    Options
    I always look and comment. I never just say "Great Day!!!" unless I really thought it was a great day. I like to personalize it too, like comment about something yummy they had or some weird thing I'd never heard of. I have actually found a few of my favorite things by stalking my friend's diaries.

I don't advise, because I'm not sure I know enough to be handing out good advice. If it looks extremely low or something, I might ask them if they're alright.

Agreed, I personalize my comments as well. Sometimes they're lengthy... xD but hey. :P
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

This comforts me... :-P
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Sooo, out of curiosity... xD Who here actually looks at people's diaries before they comment? Like, really looks? I do for each of my friends. I try to make suggestions if I see something (I hope you all don't take it personally I'm just trying to be helpful) ;D and I'm open and honest about my diary. I log every ice cream sammich and cookie lol. I enjoy the feedback as well, harsh or not. But I am constantly seeing comments on people's daily diary submissions with a "WTG", or "awesome job" etc when the person is barely eating. Not all the time, but quite a lot.

Personally, if I see one of my pals only netting 200 cals, I don't say "wtg", I say, "try and get those cals up", "your body needs more fuel for a workout like that," "you can do it!" etc. I especially see a lot of people not even hitting the 1200 cal mark PLUS burning a crazy 900+ cals the same day. I think this could actually damage someones mentality if you say "awesome job", I mean, you're basically congratulating them for barely eating, so they could take that as, "oh okay, eating less is good," you know? It's not healthy at all in my eyes so I try and make suggestions. My feelings are this, I actually care about my friends and want to see them achieve their goals as much as I want to see my own success. I love this site more than others around the web because of the great community support, and I feel I should try and be as helpful and supportive as I can be, since I want that in return. But regardless of my opinion, I'm curious to hear other peoples views on this, so... who else actually looks over their pals diaries before just reading "___was under his/her calorie goal" and saying WTG! xD

There are times when I just comment WTG on a friend's diary without looking at it... HOWEVER, these are people whose diaries I have reviewed and I pretty much know what they are doing. I try to not just blanket "WTGs" on people who I don't know what they are doing... You bring out great points here.

I'll also say, there are many who will try to give advice on "how to lose weight" when people say "I have hit a plateau and can't lose this last 10 lbs, or some such thing"... Then I look at their profile and find that they are at a BMI of 16 or 17 and they are still trying to lose weight... happens a lot with young females. It does pay to do a bit of investigation before making suggestions or even encouragements...
  • jazziesaj11
    Options

LOL, xD
  • specialtreat
    Options
    I am new here and would love some new Honest friends. I have some awesome ones already, some more would be really helpful.I also like helpful snack suggestions to help get me up to/ over my calories for the day. Please feel free to add me.

As for looking before I comment, Yes I do, even though I am fairly new to logging food and watching calorie intake, I like to see how others are doing it, I don't comment too much {yet} as I am still learning myself.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes if I have enough time, but normally I just comment. There was one friend that was at about 1000, but I don't like just talking out against people so I just casually said, if that was me, I would be excited to have enough calories for a snack. I don't like insulting people when I see it, and there are usually too many times where I don't have time to check.

Nice way to stay positive yet giving suggestion... There are those who such subtle hints will not help though... :-)
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I always read them so I can give more specific comments. I feel like that's more helpful than just "good job"

As for my diary, I appreciate both the general and specific comments.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    No, I don't look at diaries at all. I'm assuming the people I'm talking to are adults and capable of handling their own diets without my advice. But, I'll be happy to comment if asked.

Also, thinking about it, I don't have "xxx completed his diary" etc. in my newsfeed, and I don't normally comment on those. I comment on weight loss, exercise, and assorted odds and ends.
  • jazziesaj11
    Options
    Sooo, out of curiosity... xD Who here actually looks at people's diaries before they comment? Like, really looks? I do for each of my friends. I try to make suggestions if I see something (I hope you all don't take it personally I'm just trying to be helpful) ;D and I'm open and honest about my diary. I log every ice cream sammich and cookie lol. I enjoy the feedback as well, harsh or not. But I am constantly seeing comments on people's daily diary submissions with a "WTG", or "awesome job" etc when the person is barely eating. Not all the time, but quite a lot.

Personally, if I see one of my pals only netting 200 cals, I don't say "wtg", I say, "try and get those cals up", "your body needs more fuel for a workout like that," "you can do it!" etc. I especially see a lot of people not even hitting the 1200 cal mark PLUS burning a crazy 900+ cals the same day. I think this could actually damage someones mentality if you say "awesome job", I mean, you're basically congratulating them for barely eating, so they could take that as, "oh okay, eating less is good," you know? It's not healthy at all in my eyes so I try and make suggestions. My feelings are this, I actually care about my friends and want to see them achieve their goals as much as I want to see my own success. I love this site more than others around the web because of the great community support, and I feel I should try and be as helpful and supportive as I can be, since I want that in return. But regardless of my opinion, I'm curious to hear other peoples views on this, so... who else actually looks over their pals diaries before just reading "___was under his/her calorie goal" and saying WTG! xD

There are times when I just comment WTG on a friend's diary without looking at it... HOWEVER, these are people whose diaries I have reviewed and I pretty much know what they are doing. I try to not just blanket "WTGs" on people who I don't know what they are doing... You bring out great points here.

I'll also say, there are many who will try to give advice on "how to lose weight" when people say "I have hit a plateau and can't lose this last 10 lbs, or some such thing"... Then I look at their profile and find that they are at a BMI of 16 or 17 and they are still trying to lose weight... happens a lot with young females. It does pay to do a bit of investigation before making suggestions or even encouragements...

Exactly, After a few bad experiences I'm more cautious of everything. I read my friends profiles now to get to know them and their goals, and to make sure Its not a case like you said. I dont know, I just feel this is more personal then say facebook simply because of the fact that we're all here for the same goal to be healthier and fit so I like to actual know my friends to a degree, not just accept a billion random people. xD Although it hard not to with all the awesome peeps here.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I look! I'm curious how all my friends are eating.

I have one friend who doesn't seem to eat breakfast so I always ask "how come no breakfast?" it's such sh important start to the day!
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options
    I do look at diaries and I expect people to look at mine!

I'm not judgemental about it and I'm not perfect either.

I won't comment if the net is really low for the day but if it's a consistent thing, I will comment with a friendly suggestion.

I like people commenting on my sodium intake or how I fit a treat into my daily goal, it keeps me accountable!
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    I look at my friend's diaries at least the ones I comment on. I like food ideas :)

eta: Unless I am on my cell phone. The android app does not allow me to view the diaries.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Oh it's on now!
  • jazziesaj11
    Options

Oh it's on now!

:laugh: LOL Now now, let's settle down. xD hahaha
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

Oh it's on now!
    *hides chocolate and butter* nothing to see here. Move along.