Does eating Organic make you a jerk?

Options

Replies

• buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Eating organic is more of an indicator that you believe what the government is feeding you about "saving the planet". In other words, probably an Al Gore lover, a liberal and a democrat.

I am none of those things, but I often eat organic food and I'm also vegetarian. I guess it doesn't count because I don't necessarily seek it out.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Eating organic doesn't make you a jerk at all. Eating organic and being full of yourself for it does though.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Look, it's simple. Organic makes no difference for foods with short growing seasons, or with foods with inedible peels. Furthermore, because it's not regulated, there is nothing stopping an "organic" farm from labeling its products as organic, despite getting all the inorganic runoff from neighboring farms.

My experience is that organic is only really worthwhile for tree fruits (for taste reasons). I also prefer organic meat since the use of antibiotics in inorganic animal farming will one day allow the antibiotic-resistant bacteria to kill us all. :(
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    As for veggies, I don't think it's worth the money, if you wash them before you eat them, who cares what fertiliser they had? :P and veggies don't get badly treated by their owners!

Thing is, it's not just about the pesticides affecting YOU. It's about how it affects the soil, the waterways around the farm, etc etc. I'd suggest reading the vegetable chapter in this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-On-Label-Really-Plate/dp/0141015667/ref=pd_sim_b_12
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Only if you're militant about it and odds are the person was a jerk to begin with.
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I missed the "a" from the title so thought this was going to be an interesting debate :P

Anyway, the study consisted of 60 people, so what, 20 organic people? Hardly a good representative of every organic food eater. The statistics from the "study" could be due to many other unseen/unaccounted factors.

This isn't going to go down well with some people but in general my view:

- Organic food is more costly than the other food in the study. So, the people purchasing these foods are quite possibly in a different social group to those who purchase the cheap food (different social morales etc) which would explain the scores on the questions regarding what people expect from others.

- The study is based on people looking at pictures of food (I'm assuming it's a random sample of people) and yet the person who has done the study has come to the conclusion that people who EAT organic food have felt they have done a good deed. How would a person who looked at food feel they have done a good deed? They haven't purchased or consumed the food...

Studies are always full of flaws. Most studies are based on an idea or theory and they go out to prove that theory rather than trying to find a theory.

My conclusion: The Study proves nothing. In order to get a better idea you'd need to get samples of more people from different backgrounds who consume and purchase their own foods to get a better idea on if what food you eat determines your personality. ]

Ramble over :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    there is an organic beef processor in a local town. The animals are so thin. I feel really sad for them. They won't even give them medicine when they get sick. At this point who cares if it's organic or not. DOn't make the animals suffer just for more profit.
    My understanding is that what that beef processor is doing is not typical. For one thing, organic rules allow the administration of antibiotics for sick animals. At least, that's what I learned reading an article about organic farmers who are annoyed by wannabe hippie college kids who intern on their farms over the summer. :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be a jerk than eat pesticides. Call me Mr. Jerk.

You realize organic food uses organic pesticides, right?
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Eating organic doesn't make you a jerk.
    If you can afford all organic food, go for it.

What makes you a jerk is sitting on your high horse about it and telling me that my food choices are wrong.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I thought doing studies on pointless topics makes you a jerk? lol
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is obnoxious about their chosen diet and look down on others who don't eat like they do are jerks. There are innumerable posts on here from people of every dietary persuasion that are really self righteous. There's a difference between promoting something that works for you versus militancy. It's the militants who are jerks.

As for organic vs. non organic, I'm not picky. I buy whatever tastes the best to me and for that reason, I buy organic milk, leafy greens, and carrots because I *can* taste the difference. It's not psychological because then everything organic would taste "better" to me and that's not the case. My palate just picks up on those particular foods.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of the bizarre, stupid, or random studies are done by people pursuing their PhD. They write their thesis on the study they do. Sure, some of the money to fund these studies comes from government grants, but they also come from charitable organizations that promote education.

Not to mention, studying things that seem ridiculous/unnecessary to some actually goes a long way toward innovation. I'm not arguing for this study in particular, but generally speaking...
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Please don't jump all over me but I believe there may be some truth to that. Not necessarily that eating organic makes you a jerk, but I think many people who are already jerks are drawn to eating organic, for little or no other reason than self-righteousness. It's really the thing I don't like about shopping at Whole Foods, where I usually encounter a nasty jerk or two. Having said that, I think there are many nice and thoughtful people, like myself and many of you, who eat organic because they understand the benefits, and as another commenter said, are lucky enough to afford it.

HAHAHA! Yeah, it's called being pious, holier-than-though, and you'll be followed by a cloud of foul-smelling smug. There's all sorts of causes of this: religion, politics, miles per gallon, reusable grocery totes, beer/wine/cheese snobbery, etc. There's all sorts of good things out there that are ruined by people who need to put themselves on pedestals.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Look, it's simple. Organic makes no difference for foods with short growing seasons, or with foods with inedible peels. Furthermore, because it's not regulated, there is nothing stopping an "organic" farm from labeling its products as organic, despite getting all the inorganic runoff from neighboring farms.

My experience is that organic is only really worthwhile for tree fruits (for taste reasons). I also prefer organic meat since the use of antibiotics in inorganic animal farming will one day allow the antibiotic-resistant bacteria to kill us all. :(

It is regulated, actually. It's highly regulated by the USDA and some states even have separate regulatory standards. Processed foods can label themselves organic if they use mostly organic ingredients, otherwise they have to label them as "natural" (which doesn't necessarily mean that they are not organic, just that they have not been certified). I'm not sure about other crops, but I know that it takes tree fruit 3 years of organic growing to receive organic certification. It's also actually not that great for the trees or the soil, because of the limitations on nutrients that can be put back into the soil from any source other than fertilizer.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Being a jerk makes you a jerk. Eating organic is unrelated.

Yes this, only there might be some connection as it seems more likely that people become jerks when they preach about eating organic.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Not even going to read that. Eating organic makes you lucky enough to be able to afford it and smart enough to know that less chemicals in your food is better for you.

I'm just lucky enough to be able to grow it. I couldn't afford to buy organic for five kids!!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I read that on yahoo, the other day.

I love 1 study wonders... someone did a study about it, it must be true, unbias, and represent the larger whole of humanity, becuase its a study.
    lol
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Totally unrelated.

I was a jerk long before I started eating organic.

In fact, people tell me I have actually become nicer since I have been eating more natural, organic foods and lost weight.

Don't believe it, though...I'm think I'm still quite a bit of an *kitten*, even if I have less of one.

:bigsmile:
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Are you saying organic farmers out in the country with their families who eat off the land are jerks?

Hmmm.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Wow.. you have got to be kidding me. The things our tax money probaby go to that we have no idea about. Like why is a frog's skin bumpy and why does poop stink? Geez some people are idiots!!!

I'd much rather pay taxes to fund studies like these than fund unnecessary wars that benefit only consumerism and greed. That might be a jerky statement according to some. So be it.