WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2012

Options

Replies

• rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies:happy:
    Laura thank you for continuing the thread:smile:

I have been trying to increase my walking and so today I parked in the back lot so I would get some extra steps in befor work, Also I am drinking Lipton Iced Green Tea with honey, blackberry and pomegranate. You just put it in you bottle of water and shake and you are good to go! It is only 5 calories per 8OZ , the box says to use one pouch in 16,9 fl oz , but I think you could use more water and some Ice and it would still be fine.

Amanda so happy to hear you are getting some sun:glasses: and have a wonderful day with your DD and grandtwins. we will be waiting to hear what fun you have!

Katie 108 degrees wow! that is hot:devil: try the tea in you water for a treat!

MIMI Happy Birthday ! sorry if it is late! Hope it was a fun one! :flowerforyou:

Jellyfishen Wow! that happen to me , not so long ago and I am one that usally will sleep though anything , but I just couldn't stand it and had to get up and read . It is so fustrating , hope you will sleep better tonight:yawn:

Cath Yes it is sad about Robin Gibb , he was a great song writer!

Renny Your Grandson is so cute!!

Barbie so happy to hear you are all back together. I bet the dogs were happy to be home! when you walk your dogs how far do you walk? is it always the same?

Well Ladies I am still praying for the ones that are waiting to hear about jobs and for thouse that have hurts and pains.
    hopeing all goes well!

I better get back to work, have a wonderful day!! Remember a smile might not change the world , but it might change someones world today!:wink:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi there! :smile:

Finally have a minute to pop in and say hello. Rain has returned to Portland which means I get to have a little break from gardening.

I've been trying something different over the past couple of weeks, reducing carbs to well under 100 (aiming for 50-60 net carbs) and am pleased to report I've lost 2 more stubborn little pounds. Eating a bit more cheese and eggs, not skimping as much on the olive oil, staying under on sugar, cutting pasta, rice, potatoes and bread down to more than half of what I had been eating. It takes planning in order to allow for a bit of this or that in the carb dept, but I'm finding that it's not terribly difficult, and really quite interesting.

Found this very informative, animated article while browsing the net, thought some of you might enjoy listening to it (turn on speakers). Jonny Bowden ("Unleash Your Thin") talks about fat burning hormones, the brain, the on and off switch, all kinds of fun stuff. He of course wants people to purchase his program at the end, which I didn't do. Might have to look for a copy of William Banting's "Letter on Corpulence" from 1863, though.

http://naturalhealthsherpa.com/p/unleash-your-thin/video/5186/video/reservation-thankyou

Wishing you all a very happy Tuesday!
    jb
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Another sunny Tuesday,

determinedinA- I too feel that Mondays are yuck:grumble: But it's the start of a new week to gain control on the issues that brought us all here...hand in there we are here for you:flowerforyou:

Birdie- so glad to see you again, sorry to hear you are having hip issues:sad: but GREAT going on keeping the weight off:drinker:

Robin- sorry about the foot...but glad it gives you something else to think about:laugh:

jellyfishjen- hopt that you finally got some sleep:yawn:

jane- I love having grandma duty:love:

Mimi- now that's a thought...counting the Birthdays backwards...will have to give that some thought:wink:

Kackie- hope your face heals quickly:flowerforyou: my Dad had all kinds of skin cancer and I know from watching him that the key is to catch it early.

Michele- wearing shorts from long ago:noway: I only wear shorts at home anymore, I'm so self consious about how the legs look...not that anyone would really look:noway:

Faye- keep slogging away....every little bit of exercise helps:drinker: hope your sinus infection leaves you soon.

Cath- as we get older and more of those actors/singers that pass that were part of our youth, reminds us that our time here is limited too...yes so sad:cry: about Robin Gibb.

Renny- your grandson looks so cute:flowerforyou: Glad you are finding some fun stuff to do to counteract the not so fun stuff:grumble:

jen- sounds like you had a wonderful time at the lake:flowerforyou:

Barbie- I'm sure you doggies were very happy to be home and returned to their walks with you:flowerforyou:

Kat- it's so nice to hear that your daughter is home for the summer, it's always nice when they come home:smile:

Amanda- :bigsmile: so happy for you getting to see the twins...and sunshine too:glasses:

Barbara- WOW how you keep track of your steps, I'm just not that diligent:ohwell:

rp- I love tea, and since my office is so cold winter & summer I drink a lot of HOT tea year round:huh:

jb- glad to hear that your lower carbs are working for you and good riddence to those two stubborn pounds:laugh:

Last night headed home planning my workout and hubby suggested we plant the flowers around the tree in the front. He had spent most of the day removing the tree roots and turning the soil for me....so one hour, 5.75 flats and two sore backs later the flowers were planted and they look wonderful:love: So that leaves next weekend free to do more playing.

Dinner was BBQ on the patio enjoying the wonderful weather, of kabobs and lots of veggies...love summer eating outside:love:

Everyone have a great day, I'm going to pour myself into a bunch of paper work that I really dislike which will cause the stress to be over the top by the time I head home:grumble: Let's keep up the good work, drinking the water:drinker: , logging the food and moving the bodies in some form of exercise.

Laura80111:smile:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Monday was a holiday here, so I had DH and J'boy home with me all day.:love: It rained and DH was uncharacteristically lazy, we spent the day reading (I bought him a kindle so we can share books) and doing crossword puzzles.

It's still raining :grumble: but I shall get out to the gym before noon. I've been feeling lethargy creeping up on me for the last few days and I'm less and less inspired to keep moving. I lay in bed until 10:00 this morning, listening to a book on my iPod. I think it's lack of variety, and lack of company that's getting me down. When I'm in my usual routine spending a day or two with my feet up is a luxury I enjoy. I've had my feet up for six weeks now and it's getting a bit tedious. OK, gotta make a list of all the things I am going to accomplish and give myself gold stars for completion:

1: Krank and upper body workout at the gym
    2: Tidy bed & closet, put away jigsaw puzzle
    3: Add a page to my quotes & poetry journal
    4: Send emails to Mother and DD
    5: Drink all my water :drinker:
    6: Fold laundry

My next appointment with the surgeon is on the 30th, from that date I should be able to start walking - 25% weight the first week, 50% the next and so on until I'll be completely back on my feet at the end of June. Someone remind me that, in the context of a lifetime, the end of June is not very far away!

Cheerio, hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of Algebra finals, and trying to post while answering questions from students, so this may or may not make sense! Anyway, only 2 more hours with students. I think that I may make it.

One of my coworkers gave me a card yesterday, after listening to me try to help yet another math student prepare for finals. Here is what it said:
    Every time I see a word problem, it looks like this: If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Answer: Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.

I really needed the laugh that it gave me!

I am also packing up my things, because they are moving me to a different classroom. But tomorrow, I will finish and this craziness will be over! Hope to see you all later! Mary
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,206 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Kranky Nancy!

We had a BEAUTIFUL Victoria day out east here, gorgeous sun, fresh breezes, that beautiful green of leaves as they just about get to their full size, lilacs starting -- aaaah. DS and I got the screens washed and installed, cleared out the remaining uncleared gardens, and got the bikes to the eccentric (but revered!) bike repair guy for a tune-up, and even had time for some r&r. I am sure the end of June will get here quickly and you'll be back to dancing about in no time.

I have avoided my computer completely for the last month or more, but find I miss the challenges and at least a bit of posting. I use my phone for general logging in of my stuff, but I can't get on the message boards. I'll try to sit myself down in front of the thing from time to time!

Barbie - I love your dogs, even though we haven't met in person... Wish you weren't so far away!

I need a challenge for June. I have been getting a bit lax, and losses have slowed to almost a halt. I am not exercising hard enough (partly due to a knee injury, partly to the discouragement that I should not run and will have to stick to the bike at least for now) and need a kick in the rear.

Anyone on any good challenges they can recommend? All ideas welcome!

:flowerforyou:
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    :bigsmile:

Hope everyone is doing well

:smile: Was hit with a realization that I needed today

Sometimes I look at other women and think "I wish I was that thin or I wish my boobs looked like that or I wish what ever" and I think we all do...so there is a women in yoga who is such a nice lady, a bit older than me and she is soooooo good at yoga and has such a GREAT figure and I always think "Wow I wish I was that thin" etc....

Well today I could tell she was troubled but I really don't know her well but I asked if she was ok and she confided in me that she was just told she had early onset MS, I was devastated for her and I get her a big hug and I was teary eyed and so hurt for her, we spoke for a bit about the power of positive thinking and healing and I gave her another hug and she thanked me and said she really needed a hug today...later I thought about myself and that I need to STOP envying other people and be thankful for my body, as fat and lumpy as it is and just be THANKFUL that it is what it is because so many other women have it harder and we really really DONT know what others are going through inside :smile: ...I just wanted to share...and also give myself a big kick in my butt for being such a whiner about such frivolous things when people are really suffering...anyway thats all :blushing:

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!!!

Love and good thoughts :love: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Kat
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Returning after a long break....slow jog this afternoon for 20 minutes...must buy vegetables!!!
  • Skyecath
    Skyecath Posts: 33
    Options
    Amanda, so glad you're getting to see your Grand babies, hope you have a nice day, I'm sure you will

Jb, well done on shifting those 2 pounds

Nancy, In the context of a lifetime! The end of June is not very far away! It really isn't, you'll soon be up on your feet

Kat, that was so nice of you with that lady, a hug goes a long long way and yes you're right we have to be grateful for what we have

Walking to work today was so beautiful, the sun was shining and all along the side of the path were lemon Scottish primroses and bluebells. I walked past lambs in the field, saw two deer and some rabbits. All that and a wonderful view too.

Wondering what to use my last 156 calories of the day on, got to use them or MFP will tell me off for not eating enough! :laugh:

Thanks for all the support

Night
    Cath x
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Barbara, I think one of my line dance friends was at the line dance workshop in Pasco…..she told me that she and her husband were going to Richland and later someone said that she’d gone to a line dance workshop……I’m glad you had a great time there.

:bigsmile: Amanda, I am so happy that you will be spending time with your grandtwins….have a wonderful time.

:flowerforyou: Rpphillip, when I walk my dogs I walk them in the big grassy meadow for about 15 minutes each, then after breakfast I walk them together first on the roads and then on the trails and grassy areas of my neighborhood…..we walk a similar route every day, changing direction because of deer, other dogs, cats, cars, and birds, as needed……the usual morning walks combine to between four and five miles…..the afternoon walk is usually about twenty minutes long….we live in a beautiful neighborhood and the walk is always interesting….the changing seasons add to the variety.

:flowerforyou: Jb, I cut pasta, bread, and rice almost completely out of my food plan years ago and have found that I can eat a lot more for my limited calories with veggies and protein instead…..it’s raining up here, too.

:flowerforyou: Laura, I have a pedometer that downloads data to my computer so I have a record of my steps for over a year including averages for the week, month, and year…….I love it…..it challenges me to walk more and be more active.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, when I was working I always wondered how long I could stay home before I’d had enough…….it looks like you’re getting the chance to find out…..even when I had pneumonia it was only for five days but your recovery has been really long…you have been amazingly focused and motivated and I’m sure that today’s lethargy is only a bump in the road….one day at a time you’ll make it until the end of June and probably learn some amazing spiritual lessons that you couldn’t have learned any other way.

:flowerforyou: Mary, your math story problem card made me laugh……it reminded me of all the situations in life that are like the story problem of the fox, the goose, and the grain and trying to get them across the lake two at a time in the boat but the fox can’t be alone with the goose and the goose can’t be alone with the grain…..moving from one classroom to another was always one of my nightmare experiences as a teacher….best of luck to you.

:flowerforyou: Jugar, I am doing two challenges right now----100 lunges a day for 100 days and a plank a day for the month of May…..the groups for these challenges have over 100 members each and only about 5 people are actually posting LOL….I did 100 squats a day for 100 days and then moved on to the lunges…..I was doing planks as part of my weight training and then hooked up with the challenge group and started at 60 seconds and have added 5 seconds a day since I started in the middle of the month…I’d love to do a challenge with you (I don’t ride a bike, so that won’t work for me) and if you have knee problems, then squats or lunges won’t work for you.

:flowerforyou: Kat, your story of envying others reminds me of a story I read about people putting their troubles in a big pile and learning about the lives of the others who had done the same and at the end, they picked up their own troubles and were happy with them….thank you for the great reminder.

:flowerforyou: Cath, don’t eat just so MFP won’t scold you….and occasional day under 1200 calories won’t hurt and remember that the calorie numbers can’t possibly be 100% accurate.

:flowerforyou: It has been raining today canceling all the plans I had to work outside so I used the time to take care of a long list of little chores that have been piling up on my table and to spend time with my hubby doing some things we never have time for….the dogs can’t decide whether to be on the bed or the couch or the carpet and keep changing places. After lunch I did my weight training routine and moved up to 10 pound ankle weights.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

[img][/img]2582523d4tcyuzy5m.gif [img][/img]2559661yoxeq9fisc.gif
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    determined - I will tell you about my ephiphany today. I admit, when I went to the gym, I really and truly didn't feel like being there. Yet, I sort-of forced myself to go. I know that this happens, but it really suprised me how fast it happened. When I was about 30 min into my exercising, I started to feel so much better. I did 30 min of HIIT on the elliptical (30 sec sprint, 1 min recovery) and then 30 min of incline intervals on the treadmill (2 min 4mph 3%, 6%, 9%, 12%, 3%, etc.) It honestly just really surprised me how fast that came on. Tomorrow....water aerobics. Then I have the senior bowling

birdie - good for you not missing regardless of how busy you are (and you sound really busy right now)! That's just wonderful! I remember when the kids were in school I'd always say "oh, summer is coming, things'll slow down". But they never did. Then I'd say "school is starting soon, things'll slow down" but they never did. It was a constant battle. What kinds of exercises do you do for your hips? Mine sometimes are so tight.

Oh Amanda - I'm just so thrilled for you to be seeing those grandbabies!

Cath - I'm very good for baking something and then giving it away. The people at the Y, the food bank, the bowling alley all love to see me coming with a plate. Well...better on their hips than mine....lol As a matter of fact, I have some of the brownies that I made that I'll drop off at the Y and at the bowling alley if I go tonight. I like your suggestion to determined how things are psychological. Guess that's one reason I don't have a ticker...it would just frustrate me when I didn't see it moving. So therefore I don't have one.

Kat - how well I remember the kids coming home from college for the summer. Sudddenly there was so much stuff in the house. But it was nice to have them. That was so nice of you to give that lady a big hug. Thanks for reminding us to be thankful for what we have -- even if it's not the body that we'd like. We can try to improve but if it doesn't happen, we should love ourselves just as we are.

We have our senior bowling tomorrow. Last week when I went I took an apple with me and ate it there. But I did find that it was somewhat awkward. So this week I'm going to take not only my Bubba mug of water, but also some baby carrots.

Looking forward (as I'm sure barbie is too) to seeing the results of DWTS tonight. Actually, I'm going to post this early and go watch.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well today I returned to work after a 4 day weekend. I usually have a break at 8 am where I kind of eat my breakfast. I usually have something small just to get me started with my coffee. A bolthouse green goodness drink or something like that and then have yogurt with a half cup of cereal in it at work. I got to work and since I'd taken Friday off and left right after a meeting Thursday they needed me to help them make an official plan so breakfast went straight out the window. Then rushed home and had a quick supper then we headed off to boot camp tonight. Lots of running and burpees tonight. It's great to see the improvement in some of the others already. Came home and MFP told me I didn't have enough calories. That was a first. So I had a protein drink to help fill the gap.

Katie, I have several friends with MS that you would never know anything is wrong with them. I also have a step brother who has the worst kind and it's pretty bad. I sure hope your friend is more like the other people I know. You are right we need to be thankful for what we have.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,206 Member
    Options
    Hi all -- I made it through physiotherapy and the news was pretty encouraging. A few weeks of rebalancing some muscles, getting my hip stablised, and shifting some habits of movement and I should be charging ahead. In the meantime, no problem with lunges and squats, as long as I do them with particular guidelines, so you're on, Barbiecat! I won't be ready for 100 a day right away, but will be glad to come up with a good number. Right now I do 24 walking lunges and 30 squats every other day, and now that I know it's ok, my break is over!

Katie, I just came back from a visit with a friend with MS recently, and she is doing amazingly in spite of small changes that get her down sometimes. She keeps a big horse farm with her family, works hard, is raising two beautiful daughters, and is getting through each day as it comes. I hope your yoga friend does as well.

As always, so many inspirations on this thread! HIIT followed by incline intervals? How great is that!

Thanks to all -

liselyn
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies I finally got back from from North Dakota. It has been a long week of driving. Had a nice visit with my son. He seems to be so happy there. That is all that matters. He really likes the fifth wheel. He needed a trailer there is no housing there. My baby is finally grown up only took 27 years. Tomorrow I hop on the scale. I think I did ok. Had my meals planned
    while driving over there. Have to try and read the rest of the post later. Exhausted and time for bed.
    I did stop in Clancy MT to see and meet Karole one of our ladies. It so nice to meet someone in person. We had a great visit.
    Joyce
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi All

:bigsmile: My daughter is home from college! So we have been busy unpacking and getting her moved back in for the summer

:glasses: :glasses: Oh yes summer is here in the desert! 108 here today and 100 at night!!! Whew! Hard to get motivated to do much of anything!!! Finally made it to the gym at about 6pm tonight with my daughter and finally ate dinner at about 8pm!

Back to yoga tomorrow!

At least this weather makes me want to drink lots of water :bigsmile:

Hope you all have a great week! Busy one for me

Healthy eating ladies!
    Love
    Kat:heart::heart: :heart:

You must be in or near AZ???? I'm in Phoenix.....you?
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi All

:bigsmile: My daughter is home from college! So we have been busy unpacking and getting her moved back in for the summer

:glasses: :glasses: Oh yes summer is here in the desert! 108 here today and 100 at night!!! Whew! Hard to get motivated to do much of anything!!! Finally made it to the gym at about 6pm tonight with my daughter and finally ate dinner at about 8pm!

Back to yoga tomorrow!

At least this weather makes me want to drink lots of water :bigsmile:

Hope you all have a great week! Busy one for me

Healthy eating ladies!
    Love
    Kat:heart::heart: :heart:

You must be in or near AZ???? I'm in Phoenix.....you?

Im in La Quinta CA in the Palm Springs area, about 5 hours west of Phoenix :bigsmile: but the weather is almost exactly the same
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

It’s an almost sunny morning, we have high hopes for the day. :happy: I am sure the farmers and orchardists like the rain this time of year, but I can live without it.

Mary, I am going to use the quote from your card to lighten my own classroom atmosphere when the students are panicking about “word problems”. I loved it! Moving classrooms is such a pain :grumble: I hope they give you some paid time to take care of it. Have fun on your last few days of school.

Good to see you, LIselyn aka Jugar. :flowerforyou: I have kept up the 24 hours of exercise a month challenge. Didn’t make it this month (duh) but I find it an incentive to get out and keep going and I love watching the totals climb on my spreadsheet. Glad to know your physiotherapist has given you the go-ahead for more exercise, you’ll be back on the horses and the trails in no time.

Thanks for your insight, Kat, it is so true that we never know what’s beneath the surface folks around us present to the world.

Skyecath, I really enjoy your descriptions of your island. What did you “spend” your last 156 calories on? :drinker:

Barbie – ten pound ankle weights! Good job! :explode: I wish they had ankle weights am my gym, because I’d use them for my lower body-work. Right now I just do body weight lifts, stretches, etc.

Exermon, Michelle, I had a similar experience at the gym yesterday. Did not want to go, did not want to get out of bed, let alone go to the gym. :grumble: But…after moaning here with MFP friends I dragged myself out. The woman at the check-in counter complimented me on my weight loss. :drinker: Then I did 30 minutes on the krank machine and 30 minutes of upper body weights and core work. I felt much, much better afterwards. Not just the endorphins and all that, but the satisfaction of knowing that I am not just lying around the house. Then I came home and…did the rest of my chores! If I ever needed more evidence that exercise is as good for a person mentally as physically I got it. :happy:

Glad you’re home safely Joyce. My DH is 25 … are you telling me I’ve only got 2 more years to wait for her to grow up? Actually, I’m surprised sometimes at how responsible and sensible she can be. On the other hand…:noway:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hump Day!

Nancy- good job in putting together a list of what to accomplish....how many gold stars did you give yourself?:huh:

Mary- since I was raised by two teachers I know that you are soooo ready for your summer break:drinker: and from the sounds of it well deserved.

jugar-sorry I don't have any challenges that I'm part of just my own goals that I'm determined to meet for the month, I find that what keeps me motivated is to read this topic with this group of wonderful women that are all around the best on the boards for encouragement:flowerforyou:

Kat- that was a great realization and I'm sure that woman reallly did need the hug:flowerforyou: So many times we forget to be thankful for our here and nows. Personally I'm not sure I'd want to be walking in too many other peoples shoes, mine are just fine for me:wink:

Cath- walking to work and seeing what you see sounds so wonderful:love: My commute in today was an extra 25 min due to an accident, graduation traffic at the high school near my house and the construction on the freeway...one of these days I will get to look back and say I remember when I used to commute to work...just wish it was sooner than later:grumble:

Barbie- the challenges you are part of sound really inspiring, but since I'm still doing baby steps I will put those to my back burner for later:huh:

Barbie & Michele- did the person you thought won DWTS?:huh: Hubby and I have been watching it on and off this season and put the finale on last night. Hubby said that since football is so popular he thought the football player would win, and he did. We did think that he was much better than past football winners (Emmet Smith & Jerry Rice).

Alwaysnancy- great way to fill in those extra calories:drinker:

joyce- welcome home:flowerforyou: isn't it amazing that sometimes it takes a few extra years for our kids to finally "grow up"...I know for our #1 son it took him until 30 but finally did:wink:

Well just had a 3 min break as Son #3 & DIL stopped in to give hugs and copies of thier passports to me, they are on their way to the airport (my office is right by the airport) they are on their way to Rowanda for a missions trip to help build a school for orphans. They will be gone for about two weeks, 10 days in Rowanda and stopping in Belgium on their way home. #3 Son has been to Belgium before when #2 Son was stationed there with NATO so he's hoping to show his wife some of the sites. Of course we have all encouraged him to show her Brugges where every other store is a chocolate shop:love: , it's really a fun place to visit.

My weigh in today I stayed the same, which doesn't disappoint me, I figure it's my skin getting the chance to adjust to the 17 that I have lost....at least that's what I keep telling myself:blushing:

Everyone have a good day, log your food, exercise and burn some calories then wash it all away with plenty of water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. I think my foot has healed enough that I can crank the steps back up to over 10,000. the last three days I have been at around 6000 because that is how much I have to walk around work. Needless to say other things really hurt from over compensating for the tender foot. No word on the interview yet but I do have secret agents putting in good words for me. Only time will tell. At least I am currently working on a project I like so the current job is tolerable for the time being.

I hope you all have a Wonderful Wednesday!

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter bit.
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot.