Does your 8 glasses of water have to be water??!

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ummmm - while I agree that some people may be sensitive to aspartame - the myth that is is bad for you has been pretty much debunked.

I'd love to see some links to read through confirming this. The movie "Sweet Misery" convinced me to stop allowing aspartame in my house.

Yep - because eveything you see in a movie is true!

ETA: Article from the Mayo Clinic as you asked for one: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073
  • OliveJuice1984
    Options
    So long as the 'dilutable squash' is diluted with 8 glasses of water, then yes :P

I really like this! This is perfect! Have your tea, have your squash water...just make sure it's eight cups of water.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    No...Next question.
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think the green tea is fine....it's good for you!!!!
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I refuse to update the 8 glasses of water thing on my food profile because it is BS. I drink coffee, milk, the occasional diet Coke, and yes, Water. I also eat fruit, vegetables, soup and other foods with a high water content.

The "only water is water" is wrong. Go do some reading. The eight glasses of water only or your will die argument is so 2007.

The only ones who still insist on 8 glasses are selling it in bottles.

Google "British Medical journal 8 glasses of water"

The need to drink eight glasses of water a day may be as big a myth as the fountain of youth, according to one U.K. physician.

Several studies have found no evidence of benefit for recommending such levels of hydration, although bottled water companies would have consumers believe otherwise, argues Margaret McCartney, MD, of Glasgow, Scotland, in a commentary in BMJ.

“There are many organizations with vested interests who would like to tell doctors and patients what to do,” McCartney wrote. “We should just say no.”
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The movie "Sweet Misery" convinced me to stop allowing aspartame in my house.

No need to get snarky about it. I asked to be educated and you responded by basically saying "here's the info you wanted, you moron." Jeez. Yes, documentaries should be taken as part of the whole picture. Same as we should also be skeptical about the word of the FDA. (Olestra anyone?) It's called being an educated consumer, and if you want to help educate, you may want to try doing it with a smile.

After watching the documentary, I stopped consuming aspartame, and the difference was noticeable. No more headaches. No more snarky-ness. Perhaps you should try cutting down yourself. :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The movie "Sweet Misery" convinced me to stop allowing aspartame in my house.

No need to get snarky about it. I asked to be educated and you responded by basically saying "here's the info you wanted, you moron." Jeez. Yes, documentaries should be taken as part of the whole picture. Same as we should also be skeptical about the word of the FDA. (Olestra anyone?) It's called being an educated consumer, and if you want to help educate, you may want to try doing it with a smile.

After watching the documentary, I stopped consuming aspartame, and the difference was noticeable. No more headaches. No more snarky-ness. Perhaps you should try cutting down yourself. :wink:

Nice bit of selective editing on your part.

You asked for a link to some reading - I gave you one from the May Clinic, even though you were the one making a statement that it is bad with nothing to base that assertion on other than a documentary completely riddled with untruths. And I do not actually eat/drink anything with it in as I do not like the taste (not because I think it is bad for you).

And, as part of the selective editing you missed out the fact that I did say some peope may be sensitive to it.
  • CBreysach
    CBreysach Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard over many years and types of dieting is water is WATER but if you do drink things like coffee or tea you can count have the quantity for water (1cup of tea=1/2 cup water). Personnally I try to drink at least half my water before I treat myself to any other drink.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like these kinds of threads, It makes for interesting reading. For me, all in all, I think teas, coffee, and so on and so forth are merely 'condiments' for water used in an effort to change the taste for a palatable variety. Much in the same way that we use condiments and seasonings on food to change or enhance flavor.
    I'm sure it's possible in certain instances that an adjunct could have a negative affect (or none at all) on your body, but it's my belief that regardless of whats added, the base element, in this case water, is still water and should be considered as such regardless of whats added. If you add BBQ sauce to chicken does it change the properties or quality of the chicken itself? no. Is the sauce good for you? who knows. But the nutritional benefit of the chicken is still valid.
    But in the end, I am thoroughly enjoying this spirited interaction of minds! Once again just my views. ;o)
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I count: Water, UNsweet iced tea, hot herbal tea with no additives, or black coffee with no additives as water. i do not count water with mio/crystal light as water because they have chemicals in them (like fake sugar and coloring).
  • Lexi847942
    Options
    I understand the need to drink water and why things like soda are not water because they have sodium and sweeteners that actually dehydrate you. But come on, water is water, tea is tea? Last time I checked you can't just squeeze tea leaves into a cup and drink it. You have to brew tea with WATER. I don't understand why something like unsweetened tea wouldn't count as water when you fill the cup up with water and put the tea in it. If the caffeine is the problem there are decaffeinated options out there. Even for beverages that aren't technically water, I find it hard to believe that some of the water in it isn't hydrating in some way. I have to force myself to drink flat water and used to drink almost strictly soda and coffee. I didn't die and you can only last a couple days without water so there must have been some in it. Honestly, I think some people are just too serious with the rules. Drink more water, however you can get it without adding calories. That's the main point.