chronic constipation--please help!

Options
123457»

Replies

• Cathy_ann913
    Cathy_ann913 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try one Sobe (Coke product) and flaxseed oil capsules daily. They work wonders! You'll be shocked by what comes out.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    black coffee and cigarettes usually work.
  • avesoriano
    Options
    Have you tried asking your doctor for a barium enema or colonoscopy?
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    OK-wow big thread! Sister, I suffer from this as well at times. The only 2 things that helps is for me to increase my citrus intake for one ( a maternity nurse told me this 20 years ago and I swear by it) so I eat a couple clementines for a 2-3 days....However the low calorie consumption needs a shove. So I bought Rainbow Light Everyday Fiber supplement and i take it everyday. I recently switched to taking it at night and that seemed better. It is not a laxative ( I cannot tolerate them). It has fiber, enzymes and cleansing properties like bentonite clay as well so you don't get cramps or gas. Also, Rainbow light makes digestive enzymes called Advanced enzyme system and that might help too because it all starts int the tummy, capische? I feel for you, it is yucky to be backed up. I once lost almost 2 pounds in a day moving crap thru my system, gahh!

ps someone said eat 2 salads-no no no- lettuce is constipating-go with green beans cooked-way better.

good luck!
  • monilor
    monilor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use the smooth move tea but I find that I really have to take the time to sit on the john for awhile. I am always on the go and find it hard to sit still for any length of time but its important to just relax...also...when my daughter was constipated for 3 weeks she was put on a regimen of milk of magnesia two times a day. It's supposed to be ok on the system.
  • divamom0122
    Options
    Fiber gummies and, in a pinch, aloe vera capsules, all with lot of water have made a HUGE difference for me. Good luck!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so it's hard to say. I can say this:
    1. I'm not a doctor, and you need one. A medical doctor.
    2. I've had problems when I went extremely low in fat, or in fiber.
    3. I may respect your dislike of laxatives, but I can't believe you would endure the pain of constipation rather than use them. Chronic constipation can lead to more problems down the road, like diverticulosis.

Yes, see a doc. I had severe diverticulitis that went undiagnosed for about 18 months (even with doctor visits), and resulted in 6 abdominal surgeries. the primary symptoms were constipation, never feeling 'cleaned out', abdominal pain that felt like a combination of childbirth and horrible menstrual cramps.
  • gojanice
    Options
    I haven't seen any suggestions for apple cider vinegar. It cleared my IBS up in 3 days. For 3 months, every time I ate, I would experience a painful bloated stomach and other not so pleasant side effects. If you read up on most natural healing web sites, organic apple cider vinegar is the miracle cure. A surprising side effect was that it cleaned me out completely. I lost 3 pounds in 4 days from the "cleansing". I also had chronic lower leg swelling, and that also went away.

I took about 1 tablespoon organic ACV in a glass of water about 1 hour after breakfast. One of the web sites I frequent suggesed buffering the formula with about 1/8 tsp of baking soda to balance the ph. Drink after the water stops fizzing. Rinse your mouth out well or brush your teeth. DON"T take the vinegar straight. It will burn your throat. For the first week, I took this 2 x a day. It also gave me a little buzz as it oxiginates your blood, so I avoid taking it at bedtime. Now I take it about every other day for maintenance.

One other thing to think about. Are you taking Vit D? That causes me problems. Also, make sure you get some good oil from walnuts or avacados. That will also clean you out. I'd take laxatives as a LAST resort.
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    these things help me:

plenty of water
    rolled oats in the morning
    walnuts
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Gummy bears, Fiber One brownies, and water. The Everlasting Logstopper. It's trademarked, don't try to steal it, but you can use it.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and eventually stopped eating altogether because it was too painful, even with laxitives. When I reintroduced food, I found one thing that automatically made me feel horrible again. I started avoiding that, and dropped all the bloating. The constipation went away too. Is there a food that you eat a lot of, but always find that you feel worse after eating?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I had this problem and eventually stopped eating altogether because it was too painful, even with laxitives. When I reintroduced food, I found one thing that automatically made me feel horrible again. I started avoiding that, and dropped all the bloating. The constipation went away too. Is there a food that you eat a lot of, but always find that you feel worse after eating?

What was that food?? I eat the same things almost every day so it would be hard to pinpoint what could be causing it. They're testing me for celiac and I think that might be the culprit. I can't be sure though since I eat wheat, dairy, and other stuff every day.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor and get checked for Chrones, Ceoliacs, and other related inflammatory diseases (simple blood test) - could be IBS, or could just be constipation - if laxatives don't work, probably not just constipation. IBS is basically a catch-all for anyone with any other poop issues that they can't figure out what causes it.

If not Chrones or Ceoliacs or other inflammatory disease - there is a relatively new diet for IBS sufferers, discovered by doctors at a university in Australia called the low FODMAP diet - it is supposed to lessen the symptoms for about 75% of all IBS sufferers so would be worth a try if you are up to it - you can either do an elimination diet, or there are breath tests to test your intolerance to the different foods.

From my reading about it, it basically limits foods that, if not broken down in your stomach correctly, cause too much gas in the intestines (leading to bloating and well, "gassiness"), and cause constipation or diarrhoea. So if you get a painful bloated tummy then this would probably be quite good to try.

I'm starting the elimination diet next week, feel free to add me if you think you want to try it.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the posts, so sorry if this has already been mentioned. I would suggest Ortisan cubes. I live in the UK and get them from the supermarket. They have fruit, fibre and senna in them. Good luck.
  • mona169
    mona169 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Tesco Californian prune juice. I use it diluted with water...me and my 10 mth old can vouch on it... though she almost had a very frequent and lasting pooping session... i was ok.. MY GP recommended it to me..
  • Cord3799
    Cord3799 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree- from regular to not so regular as I have dieted. My friend reports the same and thinks it is less waste when eating properly?
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,135 Member
    Options
    bump--gotta read all of this!