How much is TOO much protein?

Options
13»

Replies

• sheguay
    sheguay Posts: 14
    Options
    Sorry to double dip...I looked around online and found the info below to be helpful...I have been over everyday on my protein and have been thinking about the kidneys and liver so this makes me feel a bit better. According to this I should be having 100 to 115 a day which seems high to me...yet I am always going over the MFP by about 40-60g and am still under the formula below...glad you asked this question!!!

http://www.anytimehealth.com/questions/4894-how-much-protein-is-too-much

"Protein Formula
    .8 grams to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight is an appropriate amount.
    But, body builders are at the higher range (2 grams) and should consult a doctor first, in my opinion, before consuming 2 grams per kilogram of body weight.
    As an example; I weigh 135 pounds.
    To get my weight in kilograms, divide 135 by 2.2 = 61.36 kilograms
    61.36 x 1.2 grams of protein = 74 grams of protein. This amount works well for me." (site statement, not my weight!!)
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you are really working out you can approach 1 gram per lb. Google protein needs for endurance athletes or weight lifters. There are a number of studies. They are all over the place but it is clear if you are in a rigid training regime you can eat a lot more protein than the recommendation on mfp.
  • StephenTurnbull
    Options
    Currently consuming anywhere from 170g-220g a day weighing at 110kg (losing fat while building/maintaining muscle mass)
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know it was possible to have 'too much protein'!!! It fills you up far more than fat or carbs do, and has much less of an impact on you gaining weight!! It aids muscle repair, and is fantastic for you- don't be scared of it!!

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It is possible to get too much......but if you have no other health issues then around 100g a day is absolutely fine.

Why are you drinking a protein shake?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem, too. The issue is that MFP defaults you to 15% of calories from protein. Once I changed to 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat, the site showed that I was under-eating protein and over-eating carbs, which is probably totally true. You can also fidget with the number to suit your goals (I have lower fat and cholesterol allowances, for instance).
  • teacherbarb
    teacherbarb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    consuming up to half your body weight is acceptable

:noway: that's a LOT of protein!!
  • teacherbarb
    teacherbarb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    consuming up to half your body weight is acceptable

:noway: that's a LOT of protein!!

Not really when you think of my weight at 137....half would only be 68.5 grams
  • acalper
    acalper Posts: 1
    Options
    I am appalled. I have seldom seen such horrible misinformation about protein in on place as I have here.

First: Excess protein consumption leads to kidney disease. It can also damage your liver. What is excessive?

Normal protein needs are 0.6-1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass per day, spread out throughout the day (not in one or two big meals). There you have it. Go for the 1 gram if you are doing hard workout, lots of exercise, work at hard manual labor, etc.

Eating more than that amount of protein if you are heavy body building or strength training will NOT speeds your increases in bulk or strength, they will, over time, kill your kidneys. Killing your kidneys will make you sick, lead to things like dialysis, transplants and or death. This is not a good way to body build. No one looks good in a casket.

I bring you this as a quote from my registered dietitian who specializes in sports medicine.
  • jameehardey
    jameehardey Posts: 32
    Options
    they say you should be eating how much you wanna weigh... say 150lbs so you eat about 150g.... i dont know if thats accurate but going over on protein isnt the worst thing and certainly isnt bad for you! mines set about 70 and some days i go over to about 160! so u shldnt worry :)
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've changed my macros in MFP to 30/40/30 (c/p/f) and average 200g consumed Monday through to Saturday (Sunday is rest day and obviously don't need as much) as I do regular weight lifting + basketball. My protein is consumed throughout the day through normal food intake and protein supplements post workout and not in a single large dose.

As others have said, I wouldn't be fussed about too high protein intake as doing so would cause you to fly past your calorie goals for the day.
  • ralwoe
    ralwoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like most things.....moderation! Use common sense.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Check this link out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Here's an excerpt
    It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream.

So basically if you figure their numbers down to kilogram weights then at the low end you're looking at 3.563g/kg is the upper limit of what you can digest on a daily basis.

So... some numbers for the not so math inclined...

100 lb = 45.359kg * 3.563g = 161.614g/day
    125 lb = 56.699kg * 3.563g = 202.019g/day
    150 lb = 68.039kg * 3.563g = 242.423g/day
    175 lb = 79.379kg * 3.563g = 282.827g/day
    200 lb = 90.719kg * 3.563g = 323.232g/day
    225 lb = 102.058kg * 3.563g = 363.633g/day
    250 lb = 113.398kg * 3.563g = 404.037g/day
    275 lb = 124.738kg * 3.563g = 444.441g/day
    300 lb = 136.078kg * 3.563g = 484.846g/day

To put it another way, for every 25lbs (11.339kg) of body weight you can safely have ~40g of protein day.... every day. Going over once isn't going to kill you... just not something your body takes well in the long term. This is one of the reasons most ketogenic diets are high in fat... you really don't want to eat your TDEE in lean meat every day... but honestly unless you're literally eating nothing but extremely lean meat all day every day... it's unlikely to become an issue.

A good example is, 80/20 beef for instance... ~90g of fat, 78g protein. So roughly ~1120 calories, ~810 from fat (9*90), ~310 (4*78) from protein... if you were 150 lbs you'd need to eat 3.1lbs of 80/20 ground beef a day to hit numbers like that... which would be 3472 calories... or roughly ~1500 over a sedentary tdee.

Largely, if you're watching calories and matching it to your exercise level... you're unlikely to go near the "dangerous levels" of protein for long enough (weeks) to ever cause a serious issue. Urea buildup and toxic levels of protein your body can't handle aren't single day affairs.. they take time to occur... and most normal people aren't eating 300g+ of protein a day. You're highly unlikely to ever encounter the issue... especially if you're counting calories at any level.

YMMV of course. Good luck!
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Male 5'11, 203lbs. I regularly have between 180g (rest day) and 265g of protein (HIIT Day) half way through my HIIT program I went and had a check up with my doctors to make sure I was doing everything correctly. Blood Preassure 124/62, Cholesterol 4.9, resting pulse 61. I also asked if my protein intake was too high and was told it is fine and unless I start to feel ill to carry on doing what I'm doing. The ok from the docs is good enough for me.