I hate exercise soooooo much!!

Options

Replies

• gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    that's how i started too. all my friends would go to the gym, so i started going with them to use the elliptical... and it was TERRIBLE. it wasn't until i started doing strength training that i started having a good time. because then, i wasn't working out because i should, but because i had a goal in mind -- i wanted to do squats with the right form, or do a real push-up, or improve my balance (it sucks).

find something you like to do, or at least think of something you want to achieve -- like running around outside or climbing a daunting set of stairs that beats you up every day. search the message boards to find some exercise that makes you curious or excited. go on youtube and look for workout ideas. is there a sport you like watching? read interviews with athletes or trainers and see what they do -- try to be like them! (but, like, with lighter weights/shorter sprints, haha.)

ps i love this website: nerdfitness.com check it out if you have a spare moment.
  • Chrisborro
    Chrisborro Posts: 85
    Options
    Put a big mirror next to the tv and exercize. You can watch yourself go from fat and pretty to skinny and beautiful. Just takes time.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Do it until you love it.

but experiment, have you tried martial arts? Yoga? Just Dance? All of these are fun and you barely notice its exercise
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same exact way. Hated it. It made me angry that I had to do it. It's become a LOT better.
    You really just have to make it a part of your daily routine then you don't even really think about it anymore.
    It took me about two years of working out off and on before I finally committed and made it part of my everyday life.
    The BEST THING I ever did for myself was to buy an elliptical from Walmart. They're fairly cheap from there. I just set it up in front of my tv. Doing it while watching tv makes the time go by a lot faster.
    I started with 30 minutes five days a week. Now I am doing P90X so I don't use it much anymore. If you do go this route you should eventually work up to an hour five days a week.
    It's important to get an elliptical that will tell you what "speed" you're going. You need to make sure you maintain the same speed each work out, and even increase the speed when you notice it's getting too easy for you or you stop losing weight at the rate you want to.
    Hope this helps! Good luck :)
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Set an achievable goal. Meet that goal a few times then build on if. If your goal is to walk/run 1 mile do that then add a little more each time. I started with a mile or two in January, now I average 4 -6 miles on my walks. Mix your workout up. Walk, Elliptical, Bike, Rowing machine. Try different things on your workouts. Good Luck!
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    what have you tried??

Do you waht you like to do...

If you like to dance... dance

If you like to walk... walk

Find something you like to do... or it will be miserable.

I find I like to work out in groups, so my workouts are not as sucky as they used to be!!

Maybe find other workouts on the Wii!
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Up until January I loathed exercise! I had a gym membership that I had been paying for for over a year and never used. Finally my sister-in-law asked me if she could use the guest pass on my membership and I said yes. That meant that I HAD to go with her. So I didn't want to let her down by cancelling all the time, so I sucked it up and went. It took me about a month and a half, but eventually I started really liking the gym and actually started to look forward to it. I'm actually surprised at how my perspective has changed. Maybe you just need a gym buddy to get you motivated?
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Do you like to dance? Just dance 3 for the wii is awesome! And a great calorie burn.
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm absolutely gym phobic so I've never been to a gym. I've tried fitness classes and hated them, I can't run more than a few yards because I'm so unfit but cycling doesn't seem to make me sweat at all and I can't swim.

I know I appear to be thoroughly pathetic. I feel pathetic. I know I should just stop being an idiot and gt to the gym but last time I made an appointment to go for an induction, I cried for about an hour before I was due to go and then didn't go.

I lost 3 stone about 7 years ago just by eating healthily and I'd love to do it that way again but as I'm older now I doubt that's possible. I only want to lost about 20lbs.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! I hate to exercise to and when people say: "what do you like to do?" I usually say: ohh, watch TV, play around on my computer, knit, sleep. Yeah. I will admit it. I'm pretty lazy like that.

I do have a tread mill and I do walk on it. I have to start a regular regimen again though, I went out of town for a couple weeks and it's hard getting back into it. But I was walking every single day.

I think it's all well and good that people love to exercise and they do it. But I think it's even better when a person HATES to exercise and THEY do it. I give them more credit!
    I wish I loved to exercise.

Do you go to a gym? Do you have any equipment like tread-mill etc at home? I like to watch a good movie while I'm on the tread mill. Makes the time go faster. Or while I'm sitting there watching TV maybe I'll be lifting weights at the same time.

Good luck to you.
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others about finding something you like. I still have a horrible time with exercise DVDs although I manage to get Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred in a couple times a week. It's only 25 minutes including warm up and cool down.

I've found my new love with zumba though. If you like dancing, zumba might be your ticket. I fully recommend taking a real class if you can, and the Zumba Fitness 2 for Wii is a good alternative for days you can't make it to class. It offers a 20-30 min option, as well as 45 min and 60 min options. Having flexibility to pick the songs, duration, and intensity you want could be just what you need.

Good luck !
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    This isnt going to be your inspirational, feel good answer...sorry...You just gotta do it...I have been at this for only 3 months, having NEVER worked out before- I still hate it...I just get my butt into gear and know that exercise is just part of my life now!! I am doing the C25K program...and its the closest to enjoyable thing that i have found...but honestly still HATE...my motivation for the workouts...wearing jeans that were too tight to button 3 months ago and having them 2-3 inches loose.

Only workout that I have found very enjoyable...is weight lifting. Check out the New Rules for Woman book... Its not magical, its a lot of HARD work and a lot of sheer determination! PERIOD!
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I regard excercise just like a shower. Sometimes I don't want to do it but I know that we have to do it, so we just suck it up and do it.

And there is the odd occasional day when we go without one, and that's fine too. It takes 28 days to form a habit. Give it 28 days and come back if you do not like it by then.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I get easily bored, distracted etc...also I am super busy and exercise often seems less important than staying late at work, picking the kid up from school, feeding my family dinner, etc. I have learned to find shorter exercises that don't drain me and are easy to squeeze in. I love Turbo Jams! Chalene has a quick 20 minute jam that I can fly through, burn roughly 230 calories and feel satisfied.

The Autism teacher in me tells you that nothing can happen if you are not motivated. Behavior is brought about by wanting to do something. To increase your positive behavior (of workingout) you need to have a reward for doing so. Yes this sounds just like training a dog. When it comes down to it, humans are just animals and Applied Behavior theories agree with this. SO what is one thing that you LOVE that you can't do until after you work out? Maybe your favorite TV show, a healthy snack, hot shower...whatever it may be...reward yourself for a job well done! Just like the little liver snap my Gryff gets for sitting!!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Find a family member or friend to work out with to make it more enjoyable and to help keep you motivated.

If not, try different classes at the gym. Not many people walk out in the middle, so at least you should stick it out for 30-60 minutes!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am going to suggest that you find something you can set goals in.

If you are doing hours of workouts, I would suggest looking into High Intensity Interval Training. At the very least you can hate exercise for a shorter amount of time. I do the HIIT about 15 - 20 minutes a day five days a week. I started the HIIT because I hated exercise.
    Full disclosure, sometimes I still don't want to do it. But I can do anything for 15 minutes a day if the rewards are significant. I am 40 lbs down, so I will keep doing it. And I actually enjoy beating my old record for number of reps in 50 seconds.

I use a free website www.bodyrock.tv I also spend a lot of time on www.nerdfitness.com.

PM me if you need any other info on what I do.

THIS sounds pretty interesting. THANX!!
  • fadumpt
    fadumpt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried bicycling? A good used bike with good gearing (for the hills) will give you exercise and if you get tired, you can coast for a a bit.

Find places you want to go in your town that are close and go to them. Start off with a few miles and work your way up.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It gets more enjoyable as you lose weight.
    Try Zumba?
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to the gym to work out. Start of slowly. Try walking outside with a friend or your fiance. Riding a bike is great, it may not feel like your burning but the fact is you are, and you're certainly burning more than doing nothing at all. Once you lose a litte more weight and have gained a little more confidence then maybe try the gym again. Otherwise just stick to activities that keep you moving. Remember you're not going to reach your goals overnight, it's a life long change! Good Luck!
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes I hate it. With a passion.

I cannot find a single activity that I enjoy doing but I know if I don't do anything I'll just get fatter and fatter.

I am doing Wii Biggest Loser which actually kills me so it must be doing some good but I don't know if its enough.

Anyone got any wise words to share with me to give me a bit of motivation?

Gotta hate being fat more than you hate exercise.

THIS