Disappointing foods?

Options

Replies

• lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Almond butter. I love peanut butter and love almonds, so almond butter sounded like something I would love. But no, it's not horrible but peanut butter is so much better and less expensive. I gave the jar away and just stick to unground almonds now.

bcattoes: was it roasted or raw almond butter? I find that I lie raw almond butter wayyyyyyy better, its got a very nice sweet taste to it. I love it with an apple, sliced with cinnamon and soe honey dates...use almond butter as dip:) f u want to make it even yummier, put some vanilla coconut milk yogurt on the side too:)
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    I made brownies with applesauce instead of oil. The texture was horrible. It was like chewing on a kitchen sponge dipped in chocolate. Ick! I will just stick to low fat brownie mix and limit myself to a little one with a scoop of really good vanilla ice cream next time.

did u try making them with banana instea of applesauce? u can also add just a tiny bit of a fat source to the healthy version...lol i do this alot im vegan
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    Mine would be macadamia butter, love almond and peanut butter but this was not good!!!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Almond butter. I love peanut butter and love almonds, so almond butter sounded like something I would love. But no, it's not horrible but peanut butter is so much better and less expensive. I gave the jar away and just stick to unground almonds now.

This, I was really disappointed with the almond butter. I did use it in a protein ball/bar mixture the other day and they turned out really well. I'll use it for that again in the future, but just straight with apples or carrots, egh.

Some almond butter is better than others. The first time I tried almond butter I was in love. I bought a different brand the next time and.... egh....

Justin's was the brand that tasted so good to me. I'll only buy that one from now on.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Another one for me is Greek Yogurt. People on MFP praise the almighty Greek Yogurt. For me, I cannot even choke it down. It is aweful. Regular yogurt I really enjoy. Not sure what my deal is. Hmm.

I kind of agree about greek yogurt. I don't think it tastes bad if it's sweetened, but I don't like to waste calories on it when I could be eating something tastier. Perhaps if I drank smoothies or ate breakfast I would like it better. It's not a bad way to add extra protein to recipes that call for sour cream though.
  • bcattoes
    Options

bcattoes: was it roasted or raw almond butter? I find that I lie raw almond butter wayyyyyyy better, its got a very nice sweet taste to it. I love it with an apple, sliced with cinnamon and soe honey dates...use almond butter as dip:) f u want to make it even yummier, put some vanilla coconut milk yogurt on the side too:)

I think it was roasted. I don't see any reason to keep trying to like it. There are plenty of other healthy foods out there. I'll just stick with peanut butter.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero was terrible, complete waste of money
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I don't like PB2. I know, egads! I heard so much about it, so I order plain and chocolate. I tried them plain, with fruit, on toast and even putting them in my protein shakes. Gah. They still sit in my cabinet after 3 months. They mock me actually. I reach in to grab my real PB and the PB2 looks at me with that slanted eye - I know you hate me - look. I just can't bring myself to throw them away.

I LOVE peanut butter and I have Planters Creamy PB that I use on products like bread, bananas, etc. and then PB2 and Chocolate PB2 that I use when mixing into stuff (like oatmeal, Greek Yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.) Maybe try it that way. You'll still get the peanut butter flavoring and it won't taste so strange. HTH!
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Funny you mention Peanut Butter... I bought Jiff Natural with Honey. Oh-Ma-Gawd horrible. It was gritty (took a lot of stirring upon opening) and the taste was disgusting. I was so disappointed.

Another one for me is Greek Yogurt. People on MFP praise the almighty Greek Yogurt. For me, I cannot even choke it down. It is aweful. Regular yogurt I really enjoy. Not sure what my deal is. Hmm.

I also can not stand Greek yogurt!! :sick: I can use it in smoothies, but on it's own, it's gross!! I love regular yogurt as well. You are not alone. :smile:
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options

You just haven't learned the tricks to doctor it up yet!

Here's one that combines the original topic and your comment:
    1 container fage 0% greek yogurt, 1-2 tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter), 1 tsp cocoa powder or a little chocolate pudding mix, a few slices of banana ... and if you need crunch, add a few walnuts.

There are tons of things you can add to greek yogurt to make it divine :) Plain, I just use it in place of course cream.

I'm the same way. I don't like it plain at all, unless I'm cooking with it (in place of sour cream). I buy the plain version and mix it with protein powder and PB2...creamy and yummy goodness!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I made brownies with applesauce instead of oil. The texture was horrible. It was like chewing on a kitchen sponge dipped in chocolate. Ick! I will just stick to low fat brownie mix and limit myself to a little one with a scoop of really good vanilla ice cream next time.

The oil in brownies is probably the healthiest part. The rest is mostly just white flour and sugar.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options

I think it was roasted. I don't see any reason to keep trying to like it. There are plenty of other healthy foods out there. I'll just stick with peanut butter.

Thats what I thought too but I went for it and it almost surpasses the peanut butter...and I loveeee peanut butter! Its better for you too apparently
  • aswieser
    aswieser Posts: 19
    Options
    "Fast Food - every once in a while, I'll get a craving for some chicken from KFC or a burger. I make a point to fit it into my macros. But it NEVER lives up to my expectations and I just can't stand the taste of most fast food anymore."

I totally agree with this. I got out of a class I was taking really late at night a couple weeks ago. The class started at 6:00 and I worked until 5 so I didn't eat before. After class the only thing open was McDonalds. I'll admit, I was a little excited that I had an excuse to eat McDonalds for dinner since I was starving and still an hour from home. I got nuggets and some fries. I ended up eating 2 nuggets and half the fries before I decided that McDonalds was not all that I had remembered it to be and went home hungry instead! Amazing how you start changing your habits and your tastes change too! :bigsmile:
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I tried that Silk Fruit and Protein stuff. OMG sooo disgustingly sweet. I tried to use it up in smoothies (just using a tiny bit and plain milk to dilute it even more), and it even ruined those. Gross.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Thats what I thought too but I went for it and it almost surpasses the peanut butter...and I loveeee peanut butter! Its better for you too apparently

Whether or not it's better for you would totally depend on the rest of your diet (and allergies, of course). I eat almonds every day (love them) but I rarely eat peanuts, so probably the peanut butter is better for me as I get enough of what almonds have to offer already.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I was never much of an ice cream eater, but like some on rare occasions. I found Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle and thought I would buy a box. OMG, I ate one every night (100 calories) - love them. I went shopping again and saw Skinny Cow Carmel Truffle and bought a box. I ate one and it was way, way too sweet - yuk. Hubby is going to finish them off for me. I'll stick with the chocolate ones.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero was terrible, complete waste of money
    ^^^This! I was soo excited when I found this at my local Krogers. I got the Peanut Butter Chocolate- total waste of $5!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I tried that Silk Fruit and Protein stuff. OMG sooo disgustingly sweet. I tried to use it up in smoothies (just using a tiny bit and plain milk to dilute it even more), and it even ruined those. Gross.

My son loves that stuff! I try to limit it, because I think it's too sweet too!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options

The oil in brownies is probably the healthiest part. The rest is mostly just white flour and sugar.

Try pumpkin puree instead of applesauce.
  • osucristinamo
    Options
    Kale. Gahhh. It's like every health guru's Almighty and I HATE IT. I hate it plain. I hate it in salads. I hate it in smoothies (and I am a green smoothie pro). I hate it roasted. I hate it all! Lol. It tastes like... green, dirty, dirt.