How successful is a no-bread diet?

Options

Replies

• Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't last a day...bread is my life. :) I tried Atkins when I was getting married and I lasted a week. Worst week of my life...
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Well since successful = NOT depressing, I would say a "no-bread" diet is unsuccessful
  • erin3107
    erin3107 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've done it and lost a ton of weight. I cut out flour and most sugars. What do I eat instead salad, chicken, shrimp, eggs, cheese, broccoli, apples, grapes, turkey slices, string beans, yellow peppers, carrots, chicken salad, really I eat anything except flour and junk food. Of course after a few weeks I allow myself to eat bread or something else and I'm fine. I did not count calories at all. I was very skeptical about this at first too but I tried it and I loved it. I also exercise moderately. Yes the cravings will suck in the beginning but I found that chewing gum helped me a lot.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying not to eat any bread, white rice or pasta for a month. Has anyone tried this tactic before? How successful were you?

I think how successful you'll be will depend on what you plan to do at the end of the month. If you go back to eating the same amounts of these foods then odds are you'll gain everything back quickly. If you plan to add them back slowly and eat less overall, then it might be a good way to start.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ive pretty much cut bread out of my daily diet all together. A couple of times a week I will have one or two nutty oat whole grain style bread toasted with PB on it. I do have my oatmeal dunno if that would count but that is pretty much it. Couple times a month maybe a few slices of pizza or once in a great while a donut or something. But other than that i dont miss it. Used to eat at least 8 slices a day. Now I consume maybe 8 slices a month.
  • Reese61477
    Reese61477 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had lost about 75 lbs a few years ago by cutting out bread, pasta, rice. I ate a ton of veggies, some fruits, lean proteins. I did well on it but then I got pregnant and well...I didn't maintain the loss. :laugh: I also didn't exercise at all back then.

Nowadays I find that I need some whole grains to give me the energy I need for Zumba classes. However on days that I don't have class I limit my carbs.

I do stay away from white flour, rice, pasta, ect.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    wouldn't be successful for me i love me my carbs :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of that. I rarely eat bread at all, when I do it's whole grain. I eat brown rice, and pretty much cut out all noodles.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I need to cut out the white stuff also white rice, white bread, white potatoes. switching to whole grain might be better
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Sounds boring to me...I love me some white carbs!
  • surgesilk
    surgesilk Posts: 92
    Options
    It is no more or less successful than a no apple diet, a no chocolate diet, a no color red diet...
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I have no been eating starches sice March 14th...I have to be very careful with all flour. I have lost over 20 pounds since I started it
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I found that cutting out bread entirely is a bit hard, so I use Ezekiel 4:9 bread. It's 100% whole grain, but it's flourless and low glycemic. I don't eat a lot of pasta anyway, so I didn't see the point in cutting it out, but I switched to brown rice and quinoa instead of white. That part wasn't too hard. I do use the "Minute" 10 min brown rice a lot b/c regular brown rice takes a long time to cook.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
    Jen
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I LOVE RICE..... just want to say that....... giving it up was very hard.

I've cut out all white bread (and wheat), rice (all), pasta and potatoes. I've reduced sugar to about 80% or alittle more (splenda & stevia are lifesavers). I will eat some modified products - low carb and such, but they rely on different grains and such not.

I have had some minor things, a cupcake for my b-day, a few fries, and a red skin potatoe but I've dropped it all without too much issue.

I've lost about 20-21 lbs in a month & my stomach/gut is happier. I get carb cravings like heck still, but i try to keep something around the house when that hits.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of that stuff but that's because I can't do gluten (so adding it back in isn't going to be a problem either!) It will reduce your calories if you don't replace them with high calorie items. If you cut them and replace them with something of equal or higher calories you may have an issue. If you're sensitive to carbs it might help you a little if (again) you stick with replacements that are less likely to mess up your blood sugars.

My husband cut cookies and lost 30 pounds but he didn't add in any other stuff. Then he started eating other things in place of the cookies and gained back some weight. :(
  • indigenousnudity
    Options
    Even if I hadn't lost a bunch of weight on a low carb diet, I'd still do it just for the health benefits. No bloating, acid reflux, better sleep, better fun time and I don't fart. At all.

No grains, sugars or starches, it rules.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for the past 6 months...I have had some rice 2-3 times in the past 6 months and a few dough type things...I haven't found it hard at all - just figured out different things to sub for bread and pasta and like it so no reason or pull to eat...

to each their own...
  • ethelapple
    ethelapple Posts: 79
    Options
    I haven't had any bread for the past two+ months, and it's been good, fine in fact. I feel like bread is really more of a filler food, and I really just want to eat the food that is inside the bread, bun, etc anyways.
    I do sometimes use lettuce to make wraps instead of bread.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    GREAT UNTIL YOU START EATING BREAD AGAIN

Ditto.

Yup! I've never known anyone to keep the weight off after they start eating it again. My mom did the whole low carb Atkins thing, lost weight really quickly, but pretty much the minute you eat bread again, it comes back quick. Just try eating good carbs, or even just try cutting back on them.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i gave up white flour products and moved over to whole grains like texamati brown/red rice, farro , couscous, qinoia if i spelled that right, sweet potatos , and if i want a sandwich i use bagel thins and sandwich thins or la tortilla factory whole grain wraps.. i try hard to stay away from the breads but i am a breadaholic so its all about the mind set . if i eat any white flour products now my stomach bloats up and i get gas like crazy.