Starving on Keto!

Options

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I happen to believe that carbohydrates have a direct relationship to the increased in heart disease, cancers, and diabetes among humans. Man has consumed fats, proteins, and low glycemic carbohydrates, when in season, for over 2 million years with no known outbreak of heart disease, cancers, or diabetes. Only in the last 30 years has obesity, cancers, heart disease and diabetes have become an epidemic. What has changed in our society? Processed fried foods in vegetable oil and processed carbohydrates (sugar). And don;t give me this crap about people not exercising anymore and we move less. That's nonsense.

This fairy tale that the government has been feeding us for the last 30 years that fat is bad is absolutely ridiculous.

Man's average life expectancy has increased significantly in recent years, and we're talking about conditions that generally are found in older populations. If on average, a human being only lives to be 40 or 50, chances are good they haven't lived long enough to develop these problems. Diagnostics have also seen significant advances in the last 100 years ago, so we in all likelihood really have no way of telling what it is people died of all those years ago.

Another thing to consider. About 2/3rds of the world's population live in Asia, where the diets tend to be heavily carb based, and in places where the traditional diets have been followed, the incidence of these diseases is generally low. Introduction of "western" diet does tend to increase risks however (along with weight).

A lot has changed in the last 100 years. Our environment is not what it used to be. We're breathing more polluted air, drinking more polluted water, are not required to be as physically active, or cook and eat foods where we know what exactly is going into our bodies. I believe that it is rather simplistic to point the finger at carbs as the great villain.

Asian are smaller framed usually. They handle carbs better, less insulin resistance. The addition of a western diet, which the other guy said is high in carbs. If they handle carbs well, then there would be no issue introducing a western diet.

Many of the issues the guy has said are now in children. I do agree environmental factors can play a big role.

Actually, I believe that the problem with introducing a "Western" diet isn't so much carbs, but the higher amounts of fats and protein. IME (I grew up in India), what has been popularized are things like fried chicken, burgers, fries and pizza, not so much donuts and other sugary sweets (as a culture we have *extremely* sugary, sweet, traditional dishes).

My main problem with picking one thing as the great evil is that there are generally so many contributing factors that it's pretty nearly impossible to say 'It's because we eat X that we now have higher incidence of cancer, diabetes and heart disease'.
  • chrssyeldridge
    chrssyeldridge Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Okay-- I'm sorry, I'll chime in here, although I almost never, ever come to these threads.

I have to ask-- what in the world are you thinking? You're looking for ketones in your urine as a GOOD thing? My daughter is a juvenile diabetic, and was in the hospital near death due to diabetic keto-acidosis-- in short, ketones in her urine. Her body couldn't burn sugar, so it turned to fat and muscle to survive.

When your body burns fat and muscle for fuel instead of sugar LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO, the byproducts are toxic-- ketones. Any person with any sense will tell you that's NOT A GOOD THING.

You came here for advice. I advise you to abandon this nonsense and eat a sensible freaking diet. 1200 calories in and of itself isn't so bad. But for heaven's sake, not to mention YOUR BODY'S sake, please eat sensibly.

WRONG. Go back to the doctor and get the correct explanation. Ketosis/lipolysis and ketoacidosis are two completely different metabolic processes which share only the same by-product and unfortunately similar names. The state of ketoacidosis is due to wildly high blood sugar and a failed pancreas, whereas ketosis is the result of the body manufacturing glucose to prevent low blood sugar.

So to be clear: you simply cannot get into a state of ketoacidosis by eating low-carb. In fact, even Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics cannot enter into a ketoacidic state by eating low-carb. You can only get into that state by consuming too much high-glycemic food and producing little to no insulin to stabilize this out-of-control-high blood sugar (or by being so insulin-resistant that the insulin does no good... and low-carb eating fixes insulin resistance).

THANK YOU!!! OMG I couldnt belive what I was reading!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I happen to believe that carbohydrates have a direct relationship to the increased in heart disease, cancers, and diabetes among humans. Man has consumed fats, proteins, and low glycemic carbohydrates, when in season, for over 2 million years with no known outbreak of heart disease, cancers, or diabetes. Only in the last 30 years has obesity, cancers, heart disease and diabetes have become an epidemic. What has changed in our society? Processed fried foods in vegetable oil and processed carbohydrates (sugar). And don;t give me this crap about people not exercising anymore and we move less. That's nonsense.

This fairy tale that the government has been feeding us for the last 30 years that fat is bad is absolutely ridiculous.

Man's average life expectancy has increased significantly in recent years, and we're talking about conditions that generally are found in older populations. If on average, a human being only lives to be 40 or 50, chances are good they haven't lived long enough to develop these problems. Diagnostics have also seen significant advances in the last 100 years ago, so we in all likelihood really have no way of telling what it is people died of all those years ago.

Another thing to consider. About 2/3rds of the world's population live in Asia, where the diets tend to be heavily carb based, and in places where the traditional diets have been followed, the incidence of these diseases is generally low. Introduction of "western" diet does tend to increase risks however (along with weight).

A lot has changed in the last 100 years. Our environment is not what it used to be. We're breathing more polluted air, drinking more polluted water, are not required to be as physically active, or cook and eat foods where we know what exactly is going into our bodies. I believe that it is rather simplistic to point the finger at carbs as the great villain.

Asian are smaller framed usually. They handle carbs better, less insulin resistance. The addition of a western diet, which the other guy said is high in carbs. If they handle carbs well, then there would be no issue introducing a western diet.

Many of the issues the guy has said are now in children. I do agree environmental factors can play a big role.

Actually, I believe that the problem with introducing a "Western" diet isn't so much carbs, but the higher amounts of fats and protein. IME (I grew up in India), what has been popularized are things like fried chicken, burgers, fries and pizza, not so much donuts and other sugary sweets (as a culture we have *extremely* sugary, sweet, traditional dishes).

My main problem with picking one thing as the great evil is that there are generally so many contributing factors that it's pretty nearly impossible to say 'It's because we eat X that we now have higher incidence of cancer, diabetes and heart disease'.

The hole in your argument however is the right there in your argument though. Notice all the western foods that you mention. Fried Chicken = breaded in wheat, Burgers = Buns made of wheat, Fries = likely fried in high trans-fat vegtable oils, Pizza = wheat based dough, etc, etc.

India also has one of the highest rates of heart disease in the world, even before the heavy introduction of western cuisine, yet also has one of the highest vegitarian populations in the world. This is NOT a coincidence.
  • Marll
    Options

THIS x100000
  • Spanaval
    Options

^^this

In addition, most of the food 'back in the day' or the 'hunter/gatherer" times which I think is what is being referred to with the 2 million years ago comment (although the first recorded Homo Sapiens were actually from only about 200,000 years ago) was actually from the gatherers not the hunters. Approximately 90% of the food actually came from nuts and berries and the like - not particularly low in carbs and not necessarily high in fats (if mainly fruit). Only about 10% actually came from meat sources.

He's not talking about homo-sapiens he's talking about homo-neanderthal

Who were around less than a million years ago and are argued not even to be of the same species as homo-sapiens. I sort of assumed we were not discussing different species.

I did a bit of research on this myself. There was virtually no diseases before agriculture, The oldest found mummy with diseases was found in egypt, this was in Egypt, after agriculture was developed.

The problem is that there are a lot of diseases that don't leave any evidence. Egyptians aside, it is uncommon to find human remains, especially ones going back 10 s of thousands of years, that are well enough preserved for us to determine cause of death, never mind with sample sizes large enough to make any sort of assumptions that diseases post-date agriculture. We do know that lifespans were short back then, and these people had to die of something.
  • Spanaval
    Options

The hole in your argument however is the right there in your argument though. Notice all the western foods that you mention. Fried Chicken = breaded in wheat, Burgers = Buns made of wheat, Fries = likely fried in high trans-fat vegtable oils, Pizza = wheat based dough, etc, etc.

India also has one of the highest rates of heart disease in the world, even before the heavy introduction of western cuisine, yet also has one of the highest vegitarian populations in the world. This is NOT a coincidence.

Compared to the amount of protein and fat, how much carb is there in a fried chicken? Considering the amount of carbs an average Indian consumes on a daily basis (idli, dosa, poori, etc. for breakfast), rice or chapati/paratha for lunch and dinner, What you've mentioned would be a drop in the bucket.

It is true that India has high incidence of cardiovascular diseases. We have a gene that predisposes people towards heart disease (1 in 25). 4% of a billion people is A LOT of people. We also have high rates of nicotine use, and people have become more sedentary over time. ALL are contributing factors. Just because someone is vegetarian does not mean that they have a healthy lifestyle.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Yep, and I get constipated.
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's a very low carb diet. Atkins is a keto diet. You eat very low carb which puts your body into ketosis which forces your body to burn fat for fuel as opposed to burning carbs.

Ohhhh!!!, thanks because i didn't know what is a keto diet either!!!!
  • Marll
    Options

Compared to the amount of protein and fat, how much carb is there in a fried chicken? Considering the amount of carbs an average Indian consumes on a daily basis (idli, dosa, poori, etc. for breakfast), rice or chapati/paratha for lunch and dinner, What you've mentioned would be a drop in the bucket.

It is true that India has high incidence of cardiovascular diseases. We have a gene that predisposes people towards heart disease (1 in 25). 4% of a billion people is A LOT of people. We also have high rates of nicotine use, and people have become more sedentary over time. ALL are contributing factors. Just because someone is vegetarian does not mean that they have a healthy lifestyle.

Part of the point is that while the Indian diet tends to be very carb heavy, until recently there wasn't as much wheat in the diet, nor refined sugar to the point that there is today. Overly processed foods that are high in grains (rice not always included) are much more common now the world around. Combine that with a vegitarian lifestyle and a genetic predisposition for heart disease and you're just asking for trouble. If people were eating more traditionally prepared foods, even higher in carbs than what would be ideal, I'd be willing to bet that the corresponding rates of disease drop as well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Correlation =/= causation.
  • Marll
    Options

Shall you go back and add Correlation =/= causation to his post as well linking dietary fat increase to the issues at hand? Oh right, didn't think so, typical conventional wisdom at work there....
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    If you're interested in "ketogenic" "diets" -- you need lots of real scientific information.

I suggest you read the long technical book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.

Otherwise it is just a whole lot of bumbling around ... it's difficult to get solid, factual information from internet sound bites. Enjoy the book!

It's interesting that all night while sleeping we all live ............ ketogenically. Arg!
  • Spanaval
    Options

Part of the point is that while the Indian diet tends to be very carb heavy, until recently there wasn't as much wheat in the diet, nor refined sugar to the point that there is today. Overly processed foods that are high in grains (rice not always included) are much more common now the world around. Combine that with a vegitarian lifestyle and a genetic predisposition for heart disease and you're just asking for trouble. If people were eating more traditionally prepared foods, even higher in carbs than what would be ideal, I'd be willing to bet that the corresponding rates of disease drop as well.

Umm... Chapati, paratha, poori, batura, and other staples of our diet are ALL wheat based (either whole wheat or white). Rice is prevalent in the south, not in the north. Pretty much all traditional desserts use refined sugar. Always have. We do use more processed foods than we used to. You know, rates of heart disease are on the increase in India, but there is a pronounced difference between the rates in rural and urban areas. One eats the way we always have (carb heavy, less processed foods, less proteins and fats and pretty much no "Western" foods) and the other does not. One remains physically active, the other is not.
  • Spanaval
    Options

Shall you go back and add Correlation =/= causation to his post as well linking dietary fat increase to the issues at hand? Oh right, didn't think so, typical conventional wisdom at work there....

HER.

I did not say that proteins and fats are the great evil and the root cause of diabetes, cancer and heart disease. "Western" ways of eating is believed to be a contributing factor to the increasing rates of heart disease in India. That's just what the science has shown.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Ummm - you ask a question and then answer it yourself in the same paragraph - sort of seems like you really do not want an answer and just want to argue - with yourself - feel free!!
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    You are a healthy weight for your height. Just exercise and tone :happy:
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The effects of keto diets are due to high protein, and water weight loss.
    You get the same results on a hgh protein non-keto diet, other than the water weight portion.
    There is absolutely no weight loss benefit to going keto until you hit the lower ranges of body fat (and then you can accomplish the same thing with fasting, which is a lot easier and healthier).

Check out Lyle McDonald's work if you want scientific validation. He literally wrote the book on ketogenic diets, and has since begun to espouse this perspective.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    here's a little tidbit from wikipedia: Ketogenic diet
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about a dietary medical therapy. For information on ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets as a lifestyle choice or for weight loss, see Low-carbohydrate diet.

Testing for ketone bodies in urine
    The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet mimics aspects of starvation by forcing the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fuelling brain function. However, if there is very little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures.[1]
    The original therapeutic diet for pediatric epilepsy provides just enough protein for body growth and repair, and sufficient calories[Note 1] to maintain the correct weight for age and height. This classic ketogenic diet contains a 4:1 ratio by weight of fat to combined protein and carbohydrate. This is achieved by excluding high-carbohydrate foods such as starchy fruits and vegetables, bread, pasta, grains and sugar, while increasing the consumption of foods high in fat such as cream and butter.[1]
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

I'll stay on record as believing this to be madness. I personally have hurt myself by dieting like a dope. While my doctor says I'm not responsible for crushing my thyroid, I know that eating 1200 calories, and training for a half marathon without eating back my exercise calories surely didn't help. My thyroid died, and my weight came back on, on a 1400 calorie diet.

This is for life, people-- it's a journey, not a destination. Sure, you can eat like an idiot and put your body into ketosis-- but can you sustain that forever? Lose your weight sensibly, in a way you can live with for the rest of your life.

This is your public service announcement.

I agree with you that you need to do whatever you can sustain, if you treat Atkins like a fad diet, it will be a fad diet.

THAT SAID, I understand that YOU think that it's madness but ketosis is not harmful, ketones in your urine is not harmful... you can get ketones in your urine even if you're not on a low carb diet. Some people go into ketosis every night while they sleep, people can slip in and out of ketosis during the day even without trying. If ketones were dangerous, doctors would tell us to wake up in the middle of the night to eat something or risk going into ketosis.

Anyways, there have been plenty of studies that have shown that low carb/ketogenic diets are safe. A ketogenic diet to me might be... in the morning I eat an egg omelette, cooked in a little bit of butter. I slice some tomato to eat on the side, maybe with a bit of mayo. For lunch, I have a hamburger patty, a dill pickle spear, and a salad. For supper, I eat two chicken breasts, a few cups of broccoli, and some cheese. Dessert if I am hungry for it is a handful of fresh strawberries.

I'm not sure what about that diet would be so scary to cause people to think that it's dangerous, in fact it seems to be a way that people might eat normally without ever stopping to think that it's low carb or ketogenic at all.

I have been on it about a week now and I have felt just fine the whole time. Checking my BF% on day one at 13% body fat and after day 4 I am at 12.2. I have also tried the Medifast when I was way over weight and well I lost all of my muscle tone and was at a 28% body fat at 206 and now I am 206 with a 12.2% body fat. The difference with this one that I am doing you are only in Keto from sunday til thursday then for 24-30 hours on friday til midnight on sat you carb up. 12 grams of carbs per pound of lean mass to replenish then go back into keto.

What I am getting at is Keto long term I do not agree with. Keto for 5 days at a time and then carb up at the end of the week. I am well doing just fine with it. I am also eating 3200-3500 calories a day though per my Body Media FIt. I am also drinking a gallon of water a day to help flush out the body.
  • tanyaday11
    Options
    Okay-- I'm sorry, I'll chime in here, although I almost never, ever come to these threads.

I have to ask-- what in the world are you thinking? You're looking for ketones in your urine as a GOOD thing? My daughter is a juvenile diabetic, and was in the hospital near death due to diabetic keto-acidosis-- in short, ketones in her urine. Her body couldn't burn sugar, so it turned to fat and muscle to survive.

When your body burns fat and muscle for fuel instead of sugar LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO, the byproducts are toxic-- ketones. Any person with any sense will tell you that's NOT A GOOD THING.

You came here for advice. I advise you to abandon this nonsense and eat a sensible freaking diet. 1200 calories in and of itself isn't so bad. But for heaven's sake, not to mention YOUR BODY'S sake, please eat sensibly.

If ketosis (which is waaay different then keto acidosis) is so bad for people then why do they prescribe this diet for epileptic patients to reduce their frequency of seizures?! Please before you rant and rave and judge people for their diet decisions please educate yourself