"Face it, we'll never be that skinny again."

Options

Replies

• bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    of course you can be that size again if you want and work hard at it.
    My bff said we would never have a thigh gap again and I am approaching one very quickly, so nah nah nah!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm slimmer than I was when I graduated High School, you can be too!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you can do it, and you will if you believe in yourself. I was about a 5/7 in high school, got up to a 12 at one point and guess what size I've been buying the in the juniors' section recently-3. I'm smaller than I was in high school and never thought I would be. If I can do it, so can you.
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    when I graduated HS I weighed about 270ish. I gained to 391 lbs and now weigh about 235 so yes it can be done.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Tell your friend he/she is retarded.

I weigh 23 lbs less now than I did as a 12 year old.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I was a fat teenager with long hair that could somehow hide in the middle of nowhere without even trying. I once got sat on by a girl because she didn't see me. I was a huge invisible kid. I'm way thinner now, I don't wear a bulky jacket everywhere, and people can see my face
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    its not as far as you think!!! a little over 3 months ago i was a 9/10. Now I'm between 3-5. I think your friend has just given up. I am leaner now than I was in HS!
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I weigh less now than I did in highschool. So I belive you can do it.
  • bigdogc23
    bigdogc23 Posts: 66
    Options
    I don't desire to be the same size I was in high school. I was WAY too small. I like being a bit of a beefier guy....
  • ßlackSwan
    ßlackSwan Posts: 6
    Options
    LOL ... I'm 29 lbs lighter than I was at 16 ...
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Don't sweat what other people say. This is about you!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    That's what my best friend from high school said to me last night.

We have our 10 year high school reunion coming up in September and I told her how my goal was to be able to fit into my prom dress. My size 2/4 (I think it was maybe like a 3 in juniors) prom dress. I'm a size 10 right now (down from a 14). We were joking about how crazy we were for ever thinking we were fat back then, and how we wish we were that size again, when she said "Let's just face it, we'll never be that skinny again."

And I thought...well...maybe you won't...but I will. I guess it kinda rubbed me the wrong way, like she thought I couldn't do it or something. Or maybe it was just her resigning herself to being the size she is now after have 2 babies. Her body changed a lot (she was very skinny with no curves when we were 18, now she has hips and breasts), but mine didn't My body shape is still the same, I've always had hips and breasts, now they just have a LOT more fat on top of them. Sure, we were skinny back then, but neither of us were in shape...we were just teenagers with good metabolisms.

I'm sure she didn't mean it in a rude way, but it just kinda dragged me down, like well if my best friend of almost 14 years doesn't believe in me, then who does?? I have to think that if I work hard enough I CAN get down to a size 2 or 4 and fit into that prom dress, and this time I'll actually have some muscle definition and be in shape as opposed to just skinny! It just seems like size 4 is sooooo far away from me right now...I guess I kinda just wanted to post this as a vent/validation seeking post, so thanks for reading!

Does she know that you've been working on dropping the excess weight? I've made a point of not telling people what I've been doing here until they notice the change.

As you said, she didn't mean it in a rude way, and as others have said, this was more of an admission of defeat on HER part that SHE will never be that skinny again.

You're more than halfway to your goal, and have PLENTY of time to be able to get down to where you can take that prom dress picture and show it at your 10-year in September (assuming your ticker represents your HS weight). Keep up the great work!
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how everyone can assume the best friend meant it out of spite or jealousy?

I also don't understand why everyone is assuming she is giving up. Maybe her goals are different than the OP, but is that really her being a quitter?

I don't want to weigh what I did in HS. Lowest was 98 lbs. Highest was 140. I'd look horrible at 140. Not everyone wants to be HS sized, or skinnier, and I don't think that it is a matter of not believing enough...
  • usteward
    usteward Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    u can do it!
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I know you can do it! Of course you won't be that skinny again...If you don't work for it!

When I was in high school, I was 'fat' and many people called me fat on a daily basis, but now that I am fatter, I realize I would love to be that size again. I was 160 pounds, and that is some people's ultimate goal. I still want to be lower than that, but it would be much easier if I was at that weight.
  • CarrieQuiteContrary
    CarrieQuiteContrary Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That's a lie. And I'm thinner now than I was in HighSchool.. but I wasn't HUGE. But.. I have had 2 kids and I am skinnier now than when I met my husband over 6 years ago. I think it's possible!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    That's what my best friend from high school said to me last night.

We have our 10 year high school reunion coming up in September and I told her how my goal was to be able to fit into my prom dress. My size 2/4 (I think it was maybe like a 3 in juniors) prom dress. I'm a size 10 right now (down from a 14). We were joking about how crazy we were for ever thinking we were fat back then, and how we wish we were that size again, when she said "Let's just face it, we'll never be that skinny again."

And I thought...well...maybe you won't...but I will. I guess it kinda rubbed me the wrong way, like she thought I couldn't do it or something. Or maybe it was just her resigning herself to being the size she is now after have 2 babies. Her body changed a lot (she was very skinny with no curves when we were 18, now she has hips and breasts), but mine didn't My body shape is still the same, I've always had hips and breasts, now they just have a LOT more fat on top of them. Sure, we were skinny back then, but neither of us were in shape...we were just teenagers with good metabolisms.

I'm sure she didn't mean it in a rude way, but it just kinda dragged me down, like well if my best friend of almost 14 years doesn't believe in me, then who does?? I have to think that if I work hard enough I CAN get down to a size 2 or 4 and fit into that prom dress, and this time I'll actually have some muscle definition and be in shape as opposed to just skinny! It just seems like size 4 is sooooo far away from me right now...I guess I kinda just wanted to post this as a vent/validation seeking post, so thanks for reading!

Well . . . I am a few years past the prom (26 to be exact), and I know for a fact that I can still fit in that dress, and a pair or two of stonewashed jeans (hey--it's my closet, don't judge). :laugh:

I've had 6 pregnancies.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Use it as motivation, You have already dropped 4 sizes, what is a few more.
    Positive reinforcement is always better.
    I had an older guy friend say, "I never doubted you could do it or any thing else you set your determined mind at"
    (I think he meant pigheaded) but I want to prove him right.
    I now pay more attention to giving positive re-inforcement to friends and family. Works wonders.
  • anitadhey
    anitadhey Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't take it as a personal sleight on you. It's actually a justification on her part about herself, what she is saying is that it is ok for her to look like that, because anything else is impossible. She has to think this, because otherwise she would feel bad about herself. Its a very common thing.

It's far easier for people to believe something is impossible, or that someone else is just 'lucky', than to admit that they just can't be bothered to put in the time, effort and hard work to achieve what the other person has, whether that's a hot body, a nice car, a good job, or anything else that's worth having.

THIS!!!!!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be done! I weighed 120 lbs. as a senior in high school, gained 53 lbs. over the next 22 years and now at 42, am back down to 120. I'm in better shape now -- as a teenager, I was a couch potato with fast metabolism. Even though I'm the same weight, my body looks different than it did back then -- I now have more muscular arms (I lift weights), a bigger waist (I guess that's just middle age), but smaller hips (go figure?). I, too, thought I would never be thin again.