Anyone else suffer from anxiety disorders/depression?

Options

Replies

• LivingstonIpresume
    Options
    Yes I have issues with social anxiety and seasonal depression. I just forced myself to go to the gym at first but had a really hard time going into the free weight area, so now I get up and go in right when the gym opens at 4:00am. I've found that the crowd tends to be a bit more mature and focus on getting ready for the day, also there aren't so many people so I don't find myself wanting to have a panic attack.

As far as the seasonal depression goes, I started exercising right when the sun was coming back so I don't know if the change is bringing me out of the funk or the weather, I'm looking forward to finding out.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with depression for about 7 years now and I have a social anxiety disorder. I use exercise and healthy eating to help me because the more I do and the more weight I lost, the more confident I became. I'm still not 100% and I have a dip every now and again but it's easier to pick yourself up when you get moving and keeping yourself busy!
    I've been off my meds for a year now thanks to my hard efforts. :D:D I really didn't want to be the person I was anymore and that gave me a great push too I think.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373
    Options
    I have suffered from depression for years, especially since I got divorced last year and don't have visitation of my kids anymore.

I don't like to take SSRI's like Lexapro because they give me anorgasmia and that takes away basically the only enjoyable thing about being single again.

What I have found helps with my depression more than anything else is to take my OptiMens multi-vitamin. My BCAA's, Whey Protien and 6 caps of fish oil a day and do cardio and lift weights.

If I do not get exercise i get depressed and can't sleep well. If I make sure I take all my supplements and exercise, I feel much better. I don't think I could survive without them right now.
  • SaralynneSin
    Options
    It's all about small goals for me. When things get really bad I don't do anything. Just wallow around and mope. So I started with two small goals a day. Then after two weeks I added another and so on.

Making a small list of the daily goals and ticking off what you've finished can be pretty satisfying. And when you are really down no goal is too small. Seriously, at one point I had "shower" as a goal.

If you like doing things on your own "The Feeling Good Handbook" by Burns is an excellent resource. More ideas like the small goals and helps you look at things more rationally.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do. After 8 mths it's still a struggle to get to the gym. I get anxious. I find the longer I'm away the harder it is.
    And when I'm depressed exercise is the last thing on my mind.
    Although it doesn't affect my eating.

The good news is healthy eating and exercise has greatly improved my mental health. It's just a matter of pushing myself to do it.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the responses.

My main issue is my "down" time comes out of nowhere and stops me in my tracks. Sometimes i find myself not eating more than a cereal bar or something for days, don't sleep and I'll work out constantly until this passes.

I'm not on medication. A friend of mine was put on meds and he was a zombie. I am a mother to a 2 yr old and I don't want to be a zombie, and since I'm her main caregiver (I stay home with her all day while my husband works) I don't want it to effect how I am with her. I hate being alone, but I can't stand to go out in public anywhere. Somedays its worse than others.

I guess my main issue is making sure I stay healthy.
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options
    I have had anxiety for years. I just lived with it for a long time and it was getting worse and worse... Finally I told my doctor about it several years ago, and at first he told me to try meditating, concentrating on my breathing and stuff like that. But that didn't work for me. He then prescribed me Zoloft, and I feel so much better. I never once felt medicated, or like a zombie... you have to start off in small doses and it takes about a month to work, but then slowly you just don't get nearly as anxious about things...

Feel free to add me if you need support
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    And does it effect your diet/work out routine?

If so, how do you push past it.

I did, but I find diet and exercise helped me overcome it. Sometimes I get down, especially once a month, but it's easy to beat it away ;)
  • kamazza
    kamazza Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I have G.A.D. and take 75mg of Effexor daily. I'm going to be talking to my doctor about cutting back or even stopping the meds soon though, as I find the exercise and diet are helping me a great deal. Also, I have a hunch that the drug might be holding me back a little in the weight loss dept *lol*, as Effexor is known to help pack on the pounds. But most importantly is that I can get a handle on the anxiety without the medication, and I truly think the daily exercise is helping me do that. I feel more focused, less likely to hold onto little anxieties throughout the day and I'm able to let things go.
  • Onespirit62
    Onespirit62 Posts: 51
    Options
    I do all my walking in the woods and on nature trails. The peace and quiet of spending time with nature helps clear your mind and also has a calming affect. I find it works quite well.
  • jefarrell
    jefarrell Posts: 42
    Options
    I have been dealing with it for years. Also binging to the point of true pain. I started getting anxiety more on weigh in days so, I don't weigh in anymore. It is extremely difficult for me to work out and eat right. I will go on a good month or so stretch of not working out until I'm a complete and total wreck. I get myself to the gym and I feel so much better. I yo yo with it more than anything and can fully admit it. You can only do so much and push yourself so far. I refuse to give up, but I do allow myself to give in on e in a while so I can give myself that much needed reality check. Keep moving your body, it will help with it all.
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes to both. I use my workouts TO get past it. I don't know what I'd do without them.
    ^^ this exact thing.

I also have felt better since I started taking a couple of Vitamin B supplements. (always check w/the Doc. first) The depression has been very manageable, dare I say almost gone, (mine was mild to begin with). The anxiety has changed, I'm not sure it's gotten any better.
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety disorder back when I was in high school. I have learned to deal with it with given situations and my husband has learned how to bring me back when I have attacks. BUT I have noticed since I'm losing weight that I have very few attacks. My husband just brought that up to me the other day and said how he hasn't had to help me with them. I told him that I don't get them as often so I don't know if weight loss changes a chemical in you to where it helps but I have noticed a huge difference. Usually if I feel something coming up, I will go walking or do my exercise and that calms it down a lot!!!!! I have been off of meds now for almost a year. Good Luck and you do have support here with it!!!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD and also get depressed sometimes. I find that doing exercise regularly really helps a lot, although it's really difficult to motivate myself sometimes. It's really good at converting stress hormones into "happy" hormones, and that helps a lot.

Here's a copy and paste from when I posted about it on another thread sorry for the C&P I don't want to type it all out again:

I have PTSD and depression which comes and goes because of it, I'm having counselling via skype with a counsellor in the UK, because where I live there's no mental health services. This means that I've never had the option of medication, so have to manage without it regardless. I have days where I really think I should be on medication, and other days where I;m glad that I'm not.

Anyway the following things help:

- counselling/therapy - this has been an absolute lifeline, thank God for skype. make sure that the counsellor/therapist is qualified and experienced in treating the problem that you have. Some counsellors/therapists are not very good and in some cases can do more harm than good, but a good one should be able to help a lot. If you cant get someone locally then use skype or the phone. Also, counselling is not just about treating the condition you have, it's also about learning to deal with everything better. Some mental health problems can't be effectively treated with counselling, but it can still help with learning to live with the condition and in stopping it from affecting your whole life so much. Definitely worth considering.

- exercise. this helps a lot, because it converts stress hormones (which i have way too much of in my system) into "happy" hormones. sometimes I find it hard to motivate myself to do any exercise because of the depression but what I'm finding helps with that is to break it down into small, managable chunks. So my weights workout instead of doing three sets one after the other I spread them out, so any time I exercise it's one set, easier to get through, easier to motivate myself etc. also other short bursts of exercise like even just a couple of minutes of bodyweight exercises etc. Also exercising helps with dealing with flashbacks/panic attacks, better than lying down does (that's for PTSD related panic attacks, don't know if it's the same for other problems that cause panic e.g. panic disorder, so check with a doctor/therapist etc) Also I don't have rest days, it seems to upset my brain chemistry, but I do have no weights days, and I'm on a split routine so upper body one day lower body the next etc, plus one day of no weights. I do low intensity cardio 7x a week at the moment. I'm not bothered if this has a slight negative effect on recovery because IMO mental health is more important. I don't think I do enough even on weights days to be at risk of overtraining anyway.

- getting enough sleep - easier said than done because I get insomnia a lot but I do feel better generally when I manage to get more sleep. avoid anything that's making insomnia worse

- eating enough carbs early in the day and eating regular healthy meals through the day - I eat 4-6 meals a day. low blood sugar makes anxiety, depression and issues related to it worse. I track my food intake on here to avoid undereating as much as to avoid overeating (I'm inclined to doing either of those and was in a cycle of undereating followed by compensatory overeating before I started getting back into shape physically)

- eating enough healthy fat

- being around supportive people and not being afraid to ask them for support when you need it,

- ways to offload your feelings. a punch bag helps a LOT but also someone you can talk to about how you feel

- being kind to yourself

- getting out of the house regularly

- I have a file of inspirational/motivational quotes, pics etc on my computer for when I'm feeling really bad, I chose things that I know I'd find helpful/uplifting. You need to choose your own things, because it's very individual, some things that others find inspiring or motivating would make me feel 100x worse so choose what you know will make you feel better

Hope some of those things help!!
  • glitterysam
    glitterysam Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes.

Well i have medication for both and attend counseling once a week which has really helped me sort my head out and motivate me to try putting more time into healthy eating and getting out to do some exercise - though when i dont feel like leaving the house i have bought a crosstrainer to try and do that.

Getting a bit more of a routine has helped, sleep, water and the diet/exercise even though i do have bad days I have realised I need to be realistic and try and work past them, not everyone has good days and im no different, i find going to bed and starting the next day as a fresh is helping but i have only come to this realisation in the past weeks of counseling..good luck :)
  • amberm912
    amberm912 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    After I had my daughter a little over 6 years ago I was diagnosed with Mild to Moderate Post Partum Depression. I have been on different medications and as I feel better I slowly take myself off of them. I lost almost 60 lbs about 3 years ago. I was in the best shape since my pregnancy and I was about 10 lbs less than the day I found out I was pregnant and only 20 lbs away from my lowest weight in high school (yeah I gained 81lbs total when I was with her father)...about a little over a year after taking off the 60 lbs I had been outta the routine of workingout and eating right I slowly drifted back into depression and this time only worse! I actually was so stressed out I gained all this weight back, LOST MY HAIR, I had a bald spot in the back of my head that started the size of a quarter and grew to almost the size of a small orange!!! I could NEVER wear my hair down I was always self concious about it and made things even worse. I gained 53lbs of the weight I lost BACK!!! Ughh talk about even more depression. I was at my happiest and OFF of medication when I worked out! I have come recently to consider counseling, and I still dont think it would be a bad idea. Venting also helps things as much as feeling good about yourself. They can help put things in a 3rd person perspective.BUT Feeling good about yourself, physically, mentally, emtionally, etc. is the key. If you are happy with yourself then it def helps with the depression and anxiety. I am 17 days strong with MFP and I am not stopping...Im totally addicted and ready to be back and my high school weight! and I wont let anything get in my way to be happy with myself physically which in turn will help with my mental and emotional health as well! I am always here to help motivate and push people to be what they could only dream of!!! Just like myself...I needed this push and MFP is helping me take control of my life again and it feels so good!!! You can add me if you would like some motivation or encouragment!

14119689.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lexg83
    lexg83 Posts: 2
    Options
    You are definitely not alone. Although I have not been diagnosed, I know I have both anxiety disorders and depression. Case-in-point, I can't even manage to see a doctor to get it checked. It is quite debilitating, but I've been working more and more on trying to overcome it...even if it's just by a small amount. I have purchased a game console and gotten workout games. I feel more at peace when I'm locked in my room doing my workout routine. During my depressive state, I tend to overeat and it's always something so unhealthy. I am still working on stopping and taking a look at what I am doing. I have also trained my brain to think, "Man, how many more crunches or how much longer will I have to run to burn this off? Is it really worth it?". It's difficult but I have to look at the bigger goal. I am wanting to lose the weight, which might help me in this matter. Each day is a struggle but invest in yourself...You're worth it! :)
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just think positive, as much as I can! Push through it, u'll feel better after a workout anyways (: Dint dwell on those stupid negative thought, learn to be in control of ur thoughts!

If only it were this easy for someone with true clinical depression and anxiety issues.
    And yes, having a regular exercise routine has definitely helped me. But when you are in a true downswing, just having the energy to get out of bed or off the couch is a challenge. Finding the energy and motivation to exercise is nearly impossible.
    Honestly, finding a good Dr. that had a great understanding of the different medications, combined with talk therapy, has brought me out of the lowest of my lows a few times. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will probably be on meds for the rest of my life.
    Once all of that gets into balance, then the exercise part definitely helps to push me further into my "happy place".
  • Mockingjay_24
    Options
    Yes to both since I was 13, recently come off my medication too, feel free to add me :)

A lot of the time it stops me from exercising outside and I've never, ever been to a gym. But yannoe, I'm getting there =')
  • amberm912
    amberm912 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD and also get depressed sometimes. I find that doing exercise regularly really helps a lot, although it's really difficult to motivate myself sometimes. It's really good at converting stress hormones into "happy" hormones, and that helps a lot.

Here's a copy and paste from when I posted about it on another thread sorry for the C&P I don't want to type it all out again:

I have PTSD and depression which comes and goes because of it, I'm having counselling via skype with a counsellor in the UK, because where I live there's no mental health services. This means that I've never had the option of medication, so have to manage without it regardless. I have days where I really think I should be on medication, and other days where I;m glad that I'm not.

Anyway the following things help:

- counselling/therapy - this has been an absolute lifeline, thank God for skype. make sure that the counsellor/therapist is qualified and experienced in treating the problem that you have. Some counsellors/therapists are not very good and in some cases can do more harm than good, but a good one should be able to help a lot. If you cant get someone locally then use skype or the phone. Also, counselling is not just about treating the condition you have, it's also about learning to deal with everything better. Some mental health problems can't be effectively treated with counselling, but it can still help with learning to live with the condition and in stopping it from affecting your whole life so much. Definitely worth considering.

- exercise. this helps a lot, because it converts stress hormones (which i have way too much of in my system) into "happy" hormones. sometimes I find it hard to motivate myself to do any exercise because of the depression but what I'm finding helps with that is to break it down into small, managable chunks. So my weights workout instead of doing three sets one after the other I spread them out, so any time I exercise it's one set, easier to get through, easier to motivate myself etc. also other short bursts of exercise like even just a couple of minutes of bodyweight exercises etc. Also exercising helps with dealing with flashbacks/panic attacks, better than lying down does (that's for PTSD related panic attacks, don't know if it's the same for other problems that cause panic e.g. panic disorder, so check with a doctor/therapist etc) Also I don't have rest days, it seems to upset my brain chemistry, but I do have no weights days, and I'm on a split routine so upper body one day lower body the next etc, plus one day of no weights. I do low intensity cardio 7x a week at the moment. I'm not bothered if this has a slight negative effect on recovery because IMO mental health is more important. I don't think I do enough even on weights days to be at risk of overtraining anyway.

- getting enough sleep - easier said than done because I get insomnia a lot but I do feel better generally when I manage to get more sleep. avoid anything that's making insomnia worse

- eating enough carbs early in the day and eating regular healthy meals through the day - I eat 4-6 meals a day. low blood sugar makes anxiety, depression and issues related to it worse. I track my food intake on here to avoid undereating as much as to avoid overeating (I'm inclined to doing either of those and was in a cycle of undereating followed by compensatory overeating before I started getting back into shape physically)

- eating enough healthy fat

- being around supportive people and not being afraid to ask them for support when you need it,

- ways to offload your feelings. a punch bag helps a LOT but also someone you can talk to about how you feel

- being kind to yourself

- getting out of the house regularly

- I have a file of inspirational/motivational quotes, pics etc on my computer for when I'm feeling really bad, I chose things that I know I'd find helpful/uplifting. You need to choose your own things, because it's very individual, some things that others find inspiring or motivating would make me feel 100x worse so choose what you know will make you feel better

Hope some of those things help!!

AMAZINGGG & SO TRUEEEE you def have the right attitude :-) Keep up the amazing work!!!